Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 242669 times)

Offline densy

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #660 on: September 02, 2018, 11:29 AM »
I downgraded to v16 firmware and in PAL mode on the AVS thats broken too now. I've definitely played PAL stuff on the AVS on v16 before that was just fine..but now it just garbled and locks up sometimes when digging into subfolders.

Tried some PAL carts and they work just fine.

This is what PAL mode looks like now on the AVS on the RC firmware..and now on v16 as well.
Image of it can be seen here: https://densy.stackstorage.com/s/sVlukjDWRiZprIu
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:36 AM by densy »

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 02, 2018, 11:47 AM »
I hasten to share with new results and discoveries (I sincerely regret that I did not provide a single photo):
- I did not use Everdrive and my old famicom a lond time  .
SUMMER was raw and hot ...
The recently launched cartridge was unsuccessful: a green screen.
- I pulled out and put the cartridge again: the launch was - but the whole screen had artifacts of orange hue, and barely seen the words of folders with rum-files.
- the third run: clean, but games with mmc3 / mmc4 - were with glitches, artifacts and lower margins / status - jumped to the beat of the music.
here is the solution that - helped immediately:
(cleaning of the slot / electrodes)
1. find the ESD package (bought a video card, do not throw out the package) - the package - for security.
2. Find a clean eraser for the pencils (do not use the eraser together with a pencil - the metal frame can damage the tracks on the PCB)
3. (you can pour warm water into the basin - and dip one end of the wire into the water, another close with the plumbing / heating.
and then - dip your feet, so you maximize the protection from ESD
) a joke.
4. Carefully unscrew the screws with a thin screwdriver (PH0x06) on the ED casing
5. Put the PCB on the ESD package - hold the card by the edges - trying not to touch the chips.
6. and without effort, calmly - 5 minutes to clean the gold electrodes - you will immediately notice - there is a gloss and a mirror surface.
7. Repeat from the other side - without pressing the board and without effort / pressure, continue to clean the surface of the electrodes.
8. Screw back into the case, check operation.
(cleaning the famicom)
1. We take any Chinese cartridge or naked pcb for a family / dandy - we pull it with a soft and thin cloth - it's better than synthetics. can be strengthened with a rubber band
2. we wet the rag and pcb -isopropanol / isopropyl alcohol (not recommended ethanol - oxidizes, categorically do not recommend benzene / white spirits - the tracks from pcb can come off)
3. Cleaning is done by moving - up / down, as usual installation of the cartridge - a couple of minutes to ten ... do it carefully, do not tilt the board and do not press in the side / diagonally.
you will soon notice-the rag is very dirty.
4. Wait for the chemical to dry completely, or dry it with a simple hair dryer.

(you do it at your own peril and risk .. if the forum's adnimimatsii - do not like the article - I will immediately delete it.) I hope this will help you)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 02, 2018, 05:35 PM »
I confirm that Shinsenden [T+ENG Aishsha] freezes at the first dialog box at the start of the game.
KRIKzz did fix something in MMC1 in RC3 that was broken.
Does this freeze happen in v16?

In RC7 irq fires with little delay, just like on V16,  due the different irq handling mechanism. According to oscilloscope RC1-6 irq timing match yo original carts, so i was surprised when i got reports about "problems" with megaman. I have not origina megaman cart for test, so i just returned all back to the v16 timings.

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 03, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Been using my N8 with rc6 on AVS and every game I played was wonderful. 

Really looking forward to 2.0 final. 

Thank you KRIKzz.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 03, 2018, 10:20 PM »
I confirm that Shinsenden [T+ENG Aishsha] freezes at the first dialog box at the start of the game.
KRIKzz did fix something in MMC1 in RC3 that was broken.
Does this freeze happen in v16?

In RC7 irq fires with little delay, just like on V16,  due the different irq handling mechanism. According to oscilloscope RC1-6 irq timing match yo original carts, so i was surprised when i got reports about "problems" with megaman. I have not origina megaman cart for test, so i just returned all back to the v16 timings.

I tested the actual Mega Man 3 cart and can confirm that it looks like how it's supposed to look in RC6. In RC7, the glitch line on the stage select screen doesn't extend as far.

Not sure if it's a N8 issue, but N8's menu seemed to run too slow in PAL on v16 and previous and now it runs too fast and crashes. However, the only PAL compatible NES based system I have is AVS.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 04:37 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline MP2E

• Famicom Fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 04, 2018, 03:32 AM »
Mega Man 3 looks correct to me in RC6 also, matches my real US cart

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 04, 2018, 05:36 AM »
Finally got around to testing Shinsenden in v16.  Same deal there.  Again, I have no idea if this a problem with how they did the text printing as noted in the readme, or if it's a timing deal with the MMC1 stuff.  I'm guessing no one has a repro to test with.

That might be a good reason for me to get one of those Infinite NES Lives carts, come to think of it.  I'd be curious to see if there's any difference there, although they're effectively emulating the MMC1 with a CPLD as well, so there's no guarantee it will be any different.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 05, 2018, 06:20 PM »
Got a HVC-CPU-07 (the most common), and I did a AV mod.
v20 RC6 works perfectly on it, no error issues.
Audio is indeed still too quiet even on 200% but I would NOT suggest boosting it over 100% on the N8, but rather mod your famicom for quieter audio output by changing R7 (100k) according to the schematic to a 100K trimpot or an external big pot.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 06:34 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 05, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I feel like that's what I need to do with my NES, replace that resistor with a potentiometer so I can adjust the volume levels.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 06, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Audio is indeed still too quiet even on 200% but I would NOT suggest boosting it over 100% on the N8, but rather mod your famicom for quieter audio output by changing R7 (100k) according to the schematic to a 100K trimpot or an external big pot.

no. the right mod is to boost in hardware (with a mod that i don't know) the audio from the edn8. Even if you lower the cpu sound, the game ost is still too much low to hear. And if i push up the volume on the tv i hear a lot of noise (of course)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 06, 2018, 08:52 PM »
no. the right mod is to boost in hardware (with a mod that i don't know) the audio from the edn8. Even if you lower the cpu sound, the game ost is still too much low to hear. And if i push up the volume on the tv i hear a lot of noise (of course)
I'd argue that it's much easier to modify the system itself than it would be to modify the EDN8/FC.  I'm sure someone could come up with some sort of mod that would work on the EDN8, but I'd much rather modify the much more plentiful and cheaper system, with a method that has been proven to work and is very easy to implement.

I suspect this is something that would be addressed by a hardware redesign, but I don't know that we're getting one of those any time soon.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 06, 2018, 10:16 PM »
yeah but the chip sound would be low anyway, you help only with balancing, nothing more.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 07, 2018, 12:16 AM »
My guess is that dropping the resistance value (mine is 47K, for instance) would amplify the expansion audio signal, which is why having a potentiometer would both allow you to increase the volume of the expansion audio, as well as balance it as needed depending on the source (real cart or EDN8).  If I'm not mistaken, a real Famicom uses somewhere in the range of a 100K resistor.  Dropping that value should give a louder signal, at the expense of having real expansion audio carts sounding too loud (which is why a pot is a better choice if you're dealing with multiple sources).

See this topic:  https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=692.0

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 07, 2018, 12:26 AM »
Has anybody solved the IO problem with a different SD?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 07, 2018, 05:20 AM »
Has anybody solved the IO problem with a different SD?

I'm not sure if it's related to SD card. I only have them on the model 2 NES (which is NTSC) and the AVS in PAL mode (no errors in NTSC mode unless used on NTSC right after a crash in PAL mode). FDS games crash when played on model 2 NES (not sure if that's due to the everdrive or lack of extra sound channels, but Akumajou Densetsu only has missing sound, no crashes). I used a Stone Age Gamer FC to NES adapter to use the FC everdrive on the US model 2 NES.