Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 215851 times)

Offline Alchemist

• View Profile
    • TeamX
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #675 on: September 07, 2018, 07:09 AM »
I downgraded to v16 firmware and in PAL mode on the AVS thats broken too now.
I have the same issue with PAL mode on the AVS. But it doesn't look like something related to the Everdrive OS version. Not directly at least.
Try to downgrade firmware of the console itself to v1.30 beta 5 or below and see if it helps.

Guys at Retrousb have introduced some changes in the firmware v1.30 beta 6 see changelog:
Code: [Select]
1.30b6
   game -> menus gg corruption
   PAL vblank flag (rc pro am)
And I believe PAL vblank flag implementation introduced some sort of incompatibility with ED. This affects all v20 pre-releases and at least v13, v15 and v16.

So, I hope, KRIKzz could investigate this issue on his side because it really gives trouble with Everdrive only.
But we should not hijack this thread, dedicated specifically to v20 and move discussion to the more appropriate place.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:18 AM by Alchemist »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 07, 2018, 07:44 AM »
ALWAYS test on real hardware first.
FPGA based emulation boxes like SuperNT and AVS may have incompatibilities.
The last thing we want is to confuse the developer (KRIKzz) with something that is not caused by the N8 but the emulator.
I have 2x AV Famicoms and 1x Original Famicom, all run the N8 fine with no errors.

For now we have these bugs with v20 (RC6/7):
Mapper 189 broken (MMC3 clone), (N8 points to 187).
Mapper 90 broken.
Mapper 99 broken (VS system games).
Mapper 219 broken (MMC3 clone).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:46 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 07, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I have the same issue with PAL mode on the AVS. But it doesn't look like something related to the Everdrive OS version. Not directly at least.
Try to downgrade firmware of the console itself to v1.30 beta 5 or below and see if it helps.

Maybe, but there was at least one person who reported similar issues on a PAL nes. Thanks for the info and I'll give the earlier firmware a try, though.

AV Famicom and AVS NTSC gave me no errors, but US model NES model 2 gives occasional errors and freezes when playiing FDS games. May be due to the lack of expansion sound, but games like Akumajou Densetsu don't lock up.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:46 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline densy

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 07, 2018, 01:49 PM »

Guys at Retrousb have introduced some changes in the firmware v1.30 beta 6 see changelog:
Code: [Select]
1.30b6
   game -> menus gg corruption
   PAL vblank flag (rc pro am)
And I believe PAL vblank flag implementation introduced some sort of incompatibility with ED. This affects all v20 pre-releases and at least v13, v15 and v16.

So, I hope, KRIKzz could investigate this issue on his side because it really gives trouble with Everdrive only.
But we should not hijack this thread, dedicated specifically to v20 and move discussion to the more appropriate place.

I'll give it a try and see what does for both v20 and v16 :-) I'm the one that actually reported the rc pro am issue that prompted the fix. I checked at the time when that firmware got released whether this fixed the issue with RC Pro Am in PAL mode when the Everdrive was on v16 firmware and I did not have the menu issue with the everdrive at that time

Offline olivil

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 07, 2018, 03:05 PM »
My guess is that dropping the resistance value (mine is 47K, for instance) would amplify the expansion audio signal, which is why having a potentiometer would both allow you to increase the volume of the expansion audio, as well as balance it as needed depending on the source (real cart or EDN8).  If I'm not mistaken, a real Famicom uses somewhere in the range of a 100K resistor.  Dropping that value should give a louder signal, at the expense of having real expansion audio carts sounding too loud (which is why a pot is a better choice if you're dealing with multiple sources).

See this topic:  https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=692.0

As far as I know, the Famicom has a straight (no resistance) connection on the expansion audio pin with the resistor being part of the cart. This is why there is not definitive value for the expansion audio resistance.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 07, 2018, 03:47 PM »
@oilvil
You are confusing the feedback resistor in the output amplifier every famicom has we are talking about, with the NES expansion audio mod, two completely different things.

@Sarge
Yes, 47k is what a HVC-GPM-02 has, 100k on the HVC-CPU-01 to -08.
Arnold101 is wrong about the noise floor, since the output amplifier is the last in the audio chain thus will lower the noise along with the audio.
Putting a pot instead the 100k will indeed have the desired effect.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:53 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 07, 2018, 04:04 PM »
I tried the earlier firmware on AVS and it fixed most errors with PAL games. The menu looks as it should and there are no IO errors. However, the menu still gets scrambled on a reset. I'm not sure about RC Pro AM PAL, but AVS 1.30 final firmware doesn't fix the display being partially cut off in Battletoads PAL. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:06 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 07, 2018, 04:56 PM »
@oilvil
You are confusing the feedback resistor in the output amplifier every famicom has we are talking about, with the NES expansion audio mod, two completely different things.

@Sarge
Yes, 47k is what a HVC-GPM-02 has, 100k on the HVC-CPU-01 to -08.
Arnold101 is wrong about the noise floor, since the output amplifier is the last in the audio chain thus will lower the noise along with the audio.
Putting a pot instead the 100k will indeed have the desired effect.

you want to say that in the Famicom-in a resistor R7 (100k / 47k audio circuit (depending on the revision of the board)) - is responsible for "extra-audio channels"? its decrease, does not it strengthen "all" sound channels apu?

I will certainly try. but it seems - it is believed that Extra channels-go directly or connect together with the audio output.

Offline Ryoandr

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 08, 2018, 01:16 AM »
Famicom stock channels get mixed through resistors, then go to an inverter gate with a feedback resistor (R7) that acts like an amp. It then goes to pin 45. If the game has stock audio there's a bridge that goes to pin 46, if not it's mixed to extra channels in the cart then goes to pin 46, and from there it goes to the RF unit.

100k is the original value, later revisions changed the value.

Lowering R7 lowers the stock channels volume.
Note that you can't apply that as-is to AVFamicom (for extra channels mixing) because the inverter in it has lower voltage maximum.

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 08, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Since using the RC7 firmware update, I'm experiencing random crashes. Sometimes games load up fine and other times the same games crash on startup giving the following error:

ERROR: 63
Disk IO Error

This was never an issue for me when using v1.6 combined with the mapper updates for VRC6, VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B over the passed few months. Yes my Everdrive N8 was purchased directly from Krikzz and regarding the SD Card, its been working perfectly as stated prior to the RC7 Beta update. I also formatted the card before copying over the RC7 firmware for your reference.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 08, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Since using the RC7 firmware update, I'm experiencing random crashes. Sometimes games load up fine and other times the same games crash on startup giving the following error:

Disk IO Error

This was never an issue for me when using v1.6 combined with the mapper updates for VRC6, VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B over the passed few months. Yes my Everdrive N8 was purchased directly from Krikzz and regarding the SD Card, its been working perfectly as stated prior to the RC7 Beta update. I also formatted the card before copying over the RC7 firmware for your reference.

can be - the contacts of the micro-SD slot are oxidized?

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 08, 2018, 09:55 PM »

Disk IO Error

can be - the contacts of the micro-SD slot are oxidized?

Has nothing todo with the problem cause i already tryed everything,from cleaning-new micro sd cards to new full sdcards,nothing works.
I uses smokemonster latest nes pack,if i revert to v16,it works fine,so it has todo with the update,if its hardware related,why v16 works perfekt.
Maybe the everdrive revision?,i have no clue why some people have those problems,others not.
My nes is rgb modded with etims rgb board.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 08, 2018, 11:35 PM »
Maybe the everdrive revision?,i have no clue why some people have those problems,others not.

Probably because it doesn't affect all hardware. No errors on AV Famicom, but I get some on the US model 2 NES.

Offline co5oos

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 08, 2018, 11:56 PM »
I have Famicom revision HVC-CPU-GPM-02, and im also experiencing Disk IO errors, maybe if someone has the same revision could test it, if they also have these errors.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 09, 2018, 12:37 AM »
ALWAYS test on real hardware first.
FPGA based emulation boxes like SuperNT and AVS may have incompatibilities.
The last thing we want is to confuse the developer (KRIKzz) with something that is not caused by the N8 but the emulator.
I have 2x AV Famicoms and 1x Original Famicom, all run the N8 fine with no errors.

For now we have these bugs with v20 (RC6/7):
Mapper 189 broken (MMC3 clone), (N8 points to 187).
Mapper 90 broken.
Mapper 99 broken (VS system games).
Mapper 219 broken (MMC3 clone).
Mapper 189 works if you are using the Master Fighter 3 (Unl).nes ROM with CRC of 63E2844E, but the original Street Fighter II World Warrior ROM with CRC of 96CE586E, will not work.
Mapper 90 works too, but Tekken 2 will soft lock on a black screen after picking a fighter with music still playing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:47 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES