Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 307390 times)

Offline Lordofpixels03

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2018, 12:26 PM »
For now we have these bugs with v20 (RC6/7):[/b]
Mapper 189 broken (MMC3 clone), (N8 points to 187).
Mapper 90 broken.
Mapper 99 broken (VS system games).
Mapper 219 broken (MMC3 clone).

+ Gimmick! stage 2 crash.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 09, 2018, 08:58 PM »
+ Gimmick! stage 2 crash.

Not everyone is getting that (I didn't on AVS), but I'll test on AV Famicom. No crash using the NTSC patch for the proto from the Nintendoage forums on the model 2 NES (Same mapper AFAIK, but no expansion sound).

edit: No crash on AV Famicom or NES model 2 with JP version, despite missing sound channels in the latter. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:51 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 10, 2018, 04:27 AM »
Since using the RC7 firmware update, I'm experiencing random crashes. Sometimes games load up fine and other times the same games crash on startup giving the following error:

ERROR: 63
Disk IO Error

This was never an issue for me when using v1.6 combined with the mapper updates for VRC6, VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B over the passed few months. Yes my Everdrive N8 was purchased directly from Krikzz and regarding the SD Card, its been working perfectly as stated prior to the RC7 Beta update. I also formatted the card before copying over the RC7 firmware for your reference.

can be - the contacts of the micro-SD slot are oxidized?

Has nothing todo with the problem cause i already tryed everything,from cleaning-new micro sd cards to new full sdcards,nothing works.
I uses smokemonster latest nes pack,if i revert to v16,it works fine,so it has todo with the update,if its hardware related,why v16 works perfekt.
Maybe the everdrive revision?,i have no clue why some people have those problems,others not.
My nes is rgb modded with etims rgb board.

Agreed. No idea why it works for some and not others. Tried multiple times with constant crashes so I'm back to using the v1.6 firmware from smokemasters latest pack as well. Been working perfectly ever since with no issues with expanded audio. I'm using an original US model Nes for the record.

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 10, 2018, 05:09 AM »
I can't get any version of v20 to boot on my Analogue Nt (first model, not Mini).

-EDN8 device info-
NES version
BIOS: 5
CPLD: 2
Adate: 11.01.17
Atime: 14:23

-Analogue Nt info-
Second batch
HDMI
Hi-Def NES firmware 3.01 (also tested with 3.0 before updating to 3.01)

On rc6 & 7, it hangs at "OS Init..."
Sometimes the system is completely locked, other times the controller is still being polled, because I can open the Hi-Def NES menu.
On earlier revisions, I don't stall at OS init, but I get Error 16 or Disk Error 32 before the menu can load.
On all revisions, sometimes it tells me it is restoring settings to default before it freezes.

I have tested with different Hi-Def NES settings: PPU fixes on/off; all possible "despeckle" phases. No discernible effect.

I have tried doing a full format of my SD card and have tried with several different SD cards.

I tried it in my AV Famicom (no mods) via an adapter (by Cybergadget) and... it works. On the AV Famicom, I get flickering white or black lines on both menus and games on the most recent RCs, but not on RC 4.

Just for fun, I tried it with the same adapter in the FC slot of my Nt. Black screen  :o

Returning to OS v16 makes it work on the Nt again, but obviously I want to have all the new improvements on my HDMI console!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:11 AM by flamepanther »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 10, 2018, 07:30 PM »

No idea why it works for some and not others. Tried multiple times with constant crashes so I'm back to using the v1.6 firmware from smokemasters latest pack as well. Been working perfectly ever since with no issues with expanded audio. I'm using an original US model Nes for the record.

It works for some and not others becuase it's not crashing on every single NES. AVS NTSC and AV Famicom don't crash for me, but US NES Model 2 does. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but the one system that crashes is the one that isn't wired for extra sound.

I wonder if the Gimmick crashes are related to the IO errors. When they occur, they can often cause any game to crash.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:32 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 10, 2018, 07:53 PM »
If KRIKzz was more open about how the N8 load at boot, we could have helped him.
From what I remember, the N8 loads the OS to memory when the console is powered on, so if something goes wrong with that process of "OS loading to memory" the N8 will show errors.
Maybe it is important that the pins of the cartridge slot are very clean so that not even the slightest error reading the N8 on boot is present.

I do have error message occasionally (not often at all) but I Power Off then re-sit the N8 in the cartridge slot and Power On again and everything is back to normal.
So if I would have to make an educated guess from prior knowledge, the N8 has to load the OS to memory with no errors.
Moreover, when scrolling quickly in the rom folder an error may pop if the N8 OS is not loaded properly to the NES memory.
So I assume it is the communication between the NES memory+cpu to the N8 that produces these errors.

But why do they happen?
Can be something as simple as dirty contacts, or something as complicated as memory speed tolerances on the NES console or the memory chips on the N8 itself.
I don't believe KRIKzz could not reproduce that, surely he has more than one console to test the N8 everdrives before they ship.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:18 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 10, 2018, 08:27 PM »
If KRIKzz was more open about how the N8 load at boot, we could have helped him.
From what I remember, the N8 loads the OS to memory when the console is powered on, so if something goes wrong with that process of "OS loading to memory" the N8 will show errors.
Maybe it is important that the pins of the cartridge slot are very clean so that not even the slightest error reading the N8 on boot is present.

I do have error message occasionally (not often at all) but I Power Off then re-sit the N8 in the cartridge slot and Power On again and everything is back to normal.
So if I would have to make an educated guess from prior knowledge, the N8 has to load the OS to memory with no errors.
Moreover, when scrolling quickly in the rom folder an error may pop if the N8 OS is not loaded properly to the NES memory.
So I assume it is the communication between the NES memory+cpu to the N8 that produces these errors.

But why do they happen?
Can be something as simple as dirty contacts, or something as complicated as memory speed tolerances on the NES console or the memory chips on the N8 itself.
I don't believe KRIKzz could not reproduce that, surely he has more than one console to test the N8 everdrives before they ship.

Also, if dirty contracts were the cause, then the same problem should be occurring with OS v16 as often as it happens to OS v20. The OS itself must also be a factor in some way.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Another thing I can think about is v20 is larger than v16 any may take more time to load to memory, thus having more errors if 'wait' states are not readjusted, but that is only speculations.
I assume that the fpga runs the sd file system first, collects the OS files and then loads them to memory, but it fails to do that in the correct timing thus showing errors.
I truly have no idea what may cause that because it can be many things.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 10, 2018, 09:03 PM »
KRIKzz has said it's due to fragmentation, but I think there's more to it than that.  I've copied over my OS files, Defraggler says there is no fragmentation at all, yet things will still not work properly.  My workaround has been to do the whole "rename old folder EDFC1, copy new EDFC folder over, and delete EDFC1 folder" shtick.  (Of course, while backing up the old folder.)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 10, 2018, 09:10 PM »

But why do they happen?

Dirty contacts,but when i just change the edfc folder to v16,everything seems to be fine again,its the firmware that is something wrong with.
If its my nes,it should also have that problems with older versions of the os,and with all the older versions i got ZERO problems.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 10, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Maybe the N8 file system manager doesn't like how windows manages the files on the SD and conflicts with that?
It's the file system that manages where the blocks of data are on the SD, so maybe the N8 has a "different" kind of FAT management than windows?
How then it relates to v16 being more stable than v20?

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 10, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Maybe the N8 file system manager doesn't like how windows manages the files on the SD and conflicts with that?
It's the file system that manages where the blocks of data are on the SD, so maybe the N8 has a "different" kind of FAT management than windows?
How then it relates to v16 being more stable than v20?
See, that's kind of what I'm thinking.  It almost feels to me like the EDN8 is "holding on" to the old memory locations, and the rename/force to a new area on the card makes whatever process is being used pick up the fact that new files are there and they need to be pulled from elsewhere.  I'm honestly not even sure it's using FAT management for the basic OS kernel stuff, hence why the cart is so sensitive to fragmentation.  It might also explain why it's not terribly robust.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:44 PM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 11, 2018, 12:19 AM »
Another thing I can think about is v20 is larger than v16 any may take more time to load to memory, thus having more errors if 'wait' states are not readjusted, but that is only speculations

OK, its not just me noticing it then. v20 and all iterations after v16 are loading slow. Not much slower, but it seems to struggle paging through menus and loading games. Never used to do that before.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 11, 2018, 01:36 AM »
Did file sorting get turned back on when changing firmware?  That's on by default, and really slows things down.

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 11, 2018, 04:02 AM »
I can't get any version of v20 to boot on my Analogue Nt (first model, not Mini).

-EDN8 device info-
NES version
BIOS: 5
CPLD: 2
Adate: 11.01.17
Atime: 14:23

-Analogue Nt info-
Second batch
HDMI
Hi-Def NES firmware 3.01 (also tested with 3.0 before updating to 3.01)

On rc6 & 7, it hangs at "OS Init..."
Sometimes the system is completely locked, other times the controller is still being polled, because I can open the Hi-Def NES menu.
On earlier revisions, I don't stall at OS init, but I get Error 16 or Disk Error 32 before the menu can load.
On all revisions, sometimes it tells me it is restoring settings to default before it freezes.

I have tested with different Hi-Def NES settings: PPU fixes on/off; all possible "despeckle" phases. No discernible effect.

I have tried doing a full format of my SD card and have tried with several different SD cards.

I tried it in my AV Famicom (no mods) via an adapter (by Cybergadget) and... it works. On the AV Famicom, I get flickering white or black lines on both menus and games on the most recent RCs, but not on RC 4.

Just for fun, I tried it with the same adapter in the FC slot of my Nt. Black screen  :o

Returning to OS v16 makes it work on the Nt again, but obviously I want to have all the new improvements on my HDMI console!  ;D

I tried a couple more things. I cleaned the contacts of my EDN8. They were indeed more oxidized than I expected, but cleaning them had no effect. I also got some brand new SD cards from better brands than I usually buy (SanDisk, Verbatim) but none of them made a difference. Still stuck at loading the OS.