Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 320240 times)

Offline flex

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #735 on: September 23, 2018, 01:32 AM »
I think that mentioned crashes relaterd to io problems. It looks like incorectly readed data from sd card. Unfortunately i cant reproduce this problem on my hardware, so it will not be fixed in v20. Users with io errors will be forced to stay at v16, at least for now

What would you need in order to resolve the issue? It is literally unusable on my PAL system here, I am thinking it would be dirt cheap to purchase an old working PAL unit to replicate the issue and donate it for the cause!

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 25, 2018, 10:00 AM »
RC7 is causing some confusion. MMC3 is broken in it, but it seems it is getting used by default since it's the latest.

Offline CLChambers00

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 25, 2018, 06:00 PM »
I have noticed graphical glitching with NES Codename: Viper. This is just playing the game without any save state practice. I tried it on OS v.15 and the glitching is still there. Not sure if it is a mapper issue or not. It is a MMC3 mapper.

Offline CLChambers00

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 26, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Another said that v16 works fine for Codename: Viper, and I confirm that it works fine as well. Something that happened between v16 and v20 that causes these graphical glitches. Wasn't the MMC3 mapper improved? Both rc7 and beta 2 I tried and both had these glitches. I did not try any of the other v20 versions.

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 26, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Try using RC6 of OS Version 20 instead of RC7.  MMC3 actually got borked in RC7 due to some confusion.  Try using RC6 and see if that changes anything.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 26, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Codename: Viper work fine here, I see no glitches with OS20 RC6.
Tested on AV Famicom and original HVC-CPU-07 Famicom.

I do see glitches on Micro Machines (Camerica) on the original famicom but not on the av famicom.
Also, my original famicom scrambles the colors when loading state with any game, but not when playing normally.
The original famicom has older CPU+PPU revisions, where the av famicom has the newest.

This advice is getting repetitive, but did you format the sd card before copying the new EDFC folder?

-
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:29 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline steve1515

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 26, 2018, 03:38 PM »
This advice is getting repetitive, but did you format the sd card before copying the new EDFC folder?

Maybe some one could write up a good how-to for "How to Update EDN8 to New OS" in a new thread and pin it to the N8 forum so it could be easy to find for future users.  ;D

Offline Lordofpixels03

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 26, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Also, my original famicom scrambles the colors when loading state with any game, but not when playing normally.
The original famicom has older CPU+PPU revisions, where the av famicom has the newest.

I get the same result (not on every game) with the messed up colors after loading a save state. The only difference is that i'm playing on a Twin Famicom.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 26, 2018, 09:41 PM »
Another said that v16 works fine for Codename: Viper, and I confirm that it works fine as well. Something that happened between v16 and v20 that causes these graphical glitches. Wasn't the MMC3 mapper improved? Both rc7 and beta 2 I tried and both had these glitches. I did not try any of the other v20 versions.

Only two posts up before yours, I mentioned that RC7 is broken. Please don't use it. RC4-6 are more stable (6 only adds the ability to turn expansion volume up to 200%) and the first post in this topic recommends 4 if you see white artifacts (though I don't have them on RC5 or RC6).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:44 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 27, 2018, 08:22 AM »
RC7 is NOT broken, it has very slightly different timing to MMC3 that's less accurate than RC6.
RC7 should NOT break any games that was (if) already broken with RC6.
RC7 was an attempt to fine tune MMC3 but was unnecessary, since RC6 is very accurate already.
I hope that clears up the confusion about RC7.

-
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:25 AM by James-F »

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 27, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Codename: Viper work fine here, I see no glitches with OS20 RC6.
Tested on AV Famicom and original HVC-CPU-07 Famicom.

I do see glitches on Micro Machines (Camerica) on the original famicom but not on the av famicom.

-

AFAIK Micro Machines even with the original cart works weel ONLY with a particular revision of the Nes. Maybe, even only an european revision.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 27, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Let me definitively answer the Micro Machines issue once and for all.  Whether Micro Machines exhibits glitches or not on a Nintendo-made console depends on the revision of the PPU contained inside that console.  If you have a system with a Revision A, B, C, D or E 2C02 PPU, you will see the glitches.  If you have a Revision G or H 2C02 PPU, you won't.

Most front loader NESs use revision G PPUs.  All top loader NESs use revision G or H, and all AV Famicoms use revision H.  Older Famicoms can use any revision from A-G, but E is the most common on systems that still work.  Newer Famicoms (with a VCCI label on the bottom) are revision G. Non-turbo Twin Famicoms can come with an E or a G, turbo Famicoms are G.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 27, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Excellent, thank you very much Great Hierophant!

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 27, 2018, 06:59 PM »
Also, the same background color corruption James-F observed in his Famicom occurs in my Famicom and our consoles use the same PCB (HVC-CPU-07), CPU (2A03E) and PPU (2C02E) revisions. 

Finally, it is a mistake to say that RC7's MMC3 is broken.  RC6 and RC7 illustrate alternative behaviors when it comes to the start of the scanline flicker in Mega Man 3, and both can be demonstrated with real cartridges and Nintendo-made consoles.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 27, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Also, the same background color corruption James-F observed in his Famicom occurs in my Famicom and our consoles use the same PCB (HVC-CPU-07), CPU (2A03E) and PPU (2C02E) revisions. 

Finally, it is a mistake to say that RC7's MMC3 is broken.  RC6 and RC7 illustrate alternative behaviors when it comes to the start of the scanline flicker in Mega Man 3, and both can be demonstrated with real cartridges and Nintendo-made consoles.

Thanks for the information. My mistake about it being broken, but RC7 does lock up with some games on AVS (though that's FPGA simulating hardware), which is something that didn't happen with previous builds (including non-RC builds).

I couldn't even get my Micro Machines cart to work on my front loading NES since the NES keeps resetting/blinking. It works fine on the top loading NES, though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:48 AM by brianvgplayer »