Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 298925 times)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #750 on: September 28, 2018, 06:20 AM »
Also, the same background color corruption James-F observed in his Famicom occurs in my Famicom and our consoles use the same PCB (HVC-CPU-07), CPU (2A03E) and PPU (2C02E) revisions. 

I should mention that Great Hierophant is talking about stave states, when loading state with an older original famicom.
As he said, the most common American NES is newer Rev.G and H, while the most common Japanese Famicom is Rev.E.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 28, 2018, 07:54 AM »
MM mention had to do with the earlier posts and, it wasn't related to the revision of the NES. I heard the system resetting (though from what I see before it resets, it doesn't seem to have glitched graphics) is a common thing with some systems (my fc to nes adapter has the same issue). Possibly an issue with getting the cart to fit properly into the system, rather than the game itself, though Quattro Adventure plays fine.

I don't remember seeing any glitches with MM when playing on the everdrive, but I did get a glitched title screen when I used a NES to FC adapter on the AV Famicom with an actual cart, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:03 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 28, 2018, 08:31 AM »
MM mention had to do with the earlier posts and, it wasn't related to the revision of the NES.

Actually it was and is related to the PPU revision as noted by Great Hierophant, why do you say it wasn't?
Micro Machines AND save state color glitches both related to console (CPU+PPU) revision.

Whether Micro Machines exhibits glitches or not on a Nintendo-made console depends on the revision of the PPU contained inside that console.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:34 AM by James-F »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 28, 2018, 08:57 AM »
MM mention had to do with the earlier posts and, it wasn't related to the revision of the NES.

Actually it was and is related to the PPU revision as noted by Great Hierophant, why do you say it wasn't?
Micro Machines AND save state color glitches both related to console (CPU+PPU) revision.

Whether Micro Machines exhibits glitches or not on a Nintendo-made console depends on the revision of the PPU contained inside that console.

I was saying that the Micromachines NES carts can reset on front loading NES either due to the cart not fitting properly or the lockout chip. I was saying that my mentioning of MM is not related to revision of the NES, not that the glitches weren't related. Anyway, my point was to point out that there's an issue with the actual MM carts besides the glitching that only occurs on some FC revisions.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:20 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline soulspawn

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 29, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Hi everyone.

Tested Micromachines on my PAL Nes, works flawlessly.

Back to OS v15, since MegaMan 2 keeps crashing or freezing before completing any stage with newer OS.

Only thing missing on v15 is the glitch with Castlevania III (PAL or NTSC) on Sunken City stage (Fixed on v20).

Offline Listai

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 03, 2018, 12:14 AM »
Just adding to the chorus that on my hidefnes modded AV Famicom my N8 is really unstable on the latest beta with many games not booting at all.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 05, 2018, 05:45 AM »
I switched to beta to get upgraded audio for FDS which works great, i can now play doki doki panic. Yay !

However, It comes with instability with games freezing to graphic glitch mostly on MMC3 (Super C). So i went from V20 R7 to R6, R5, R4 and with each version problem reappear. When I was on v14 i never encountered any issue since I got my N8. So now im testing version 16 and I will see how it goes.

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 05, 2018, 08:08 PM »
A very minor nitpick - the "reset to game" option doesn't seem to work with the Ultimate Stuntman, the game just keeps going after I let go of the reset button, albeit with most sound channels muted. Doesn't bother me at all, just curious as to why that happens.

AV Famicom, No-Intro romset, EDN8 OS v20 RC7 (I haven't tested the other OS releases)

Offline bigladiesman

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 13, 2018, 09:51 PM »
I have an important question: Every time I upgrade my N-8 to OS20, many games stop working and I end up downgrading again and again. Is it because I play on a Famiclone (A Retro-Bit RES to be specific)?
Mega Everdrive X5, Super Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB, Everdrive Game Gear.

Offline Listai

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 15, 2018, 01:13 PM »
I formatted my sd card and have had much more success with a clean install on rc7.

I do have a question though - with a hidefnes install is it possible to use the n8 expansion audio or am I stuck with Kevtris’ implementation?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 16, 2018, 06:17 AM »
MMC3 is more accurate on RC6 (RC7 locked up for me on AVS) and it's recommended to use RC4 if you have the white/black specs on RC5 or 6 (which I didn't have).

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 20, 2018, 12:32 AM »
I formatted my sd card and have had much more success with a clean install on rc7.

I do have a question though - with a hidefnes install is it possible to use the n8 expansion audio or am I stuck with Kevtris’ implementation?
Stuck unless you use the analog audio outputs.

Offline perman2go

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 24, 2018, 04:44 AM »
I am a Japanese Everdrive user.
I am sincerely grateful for the wonderful update!
Correspondence to the extended sound source is really wonderful.

I am one person who thinks of V20 IO error problem, voltage is the cause.
I am glad that the case I experienced is helpful for something.

[Actual machine activation status]
First of all, I tried to start Everdrive with portable compatible machine 1 (FC-Portable, battery-driven), but it did not start. However, when the power was turned on for about 10 minutes, the menu was activated. Therefore, I started the portable compatible machine 1 with the AC adapter. The activation rate is 90%. However, IO errors occur frequently in menu move, selection, ROM loading.

Next, I tried to start up Everdrive with a portable compatible machine 2 (pokeFAMI LIGHT, battery-powered), but it did not start up again. Likewise, if you turn on the power for about 10 minutes, the menu will gradually start up.
Nothing is displayed → OS Init → IO Error / 52 → Error 10 → Action!
IO errors also occur frequently afterwards.

Of course, Famicom and Twin Famicom will start 100%.
I do not have a new NES.

[Voltage measurement]
Since there is a significant difference in the starting condition, the voltage between GND - VCC (+ 5V) was measured and it became as follows.
1 Startup rate 100%
Twin-Famicom · · · 5.05 V

2 Boot rate 90%
Portable compatible machine 1 AC adapter drive · · · 4.4 V

3 Boot rate 0% to 50% (After turning on the power for over 10 minutes)
Mobile compatible machine 1 Battery operated · · · 3.8 V
Mobile compatible machine 2 Battery operated ··· 3.8 V

Obviously there seems to be a start-up difference with voltage!

[Modification]
My favorite is to operate Everdrive with a portable compatible machine 2 and to enjoy a wonderful expanded sound source, so I modified the portable compatible machine 2.
It is a remodeling that makes GND-VCC (+ 5V) closer to one with a startup rate of 100%.
By the way, I have little knowledge about electronic circuits.
The portable compatible machine 2 has a built-in voltage regulator circuit, and the place where the regulated power supply is currently set at 3.8 V is changed to 5 V in voltage.

[result]
With portable compatible machine 2, Everdrive has started to operate steadily!

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 24, 2018, 08:30 AM »
The Everdrive N8 has AMS1117 3.3v and 1.2v regulators inside which require stable 5.0v power from a LM7805 regulator inside the Famicom/NES consoles.
When the NES console is powered up it might not be 5.0v till the capacitors charge up, hence the Everdrive N8 might not load properly if the console was powered down for some time.
If I get the error I will power down the console and power it up again, then everything will boot normally.

4.4v and 3.8v from the battery powered portable consoles is NOT good for the N8 since its internal regulators require at lease 1.5v above their rated values.
For example: 3.3v+1.5v=4.8v, so at least 4.8v for the 3.3v regulator in the N8 to work correctly.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:39 AM by James-F »

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 29, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Is the final version getting close to release?