Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 89091 times)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #795 on: November 26, 2018, 02:24 AM »
Ah, geez, think I figured out what was going on with Ultima: Exodus.  My SD card adapter looks like it was flaking out.  I thought it was the lock switch initially, which was loose and getting locked.  But I changed adapters and it's working as intended.  I was also getting lockups on Batman, but that seems to be working now as well after swapping adapters.

EDIT:  Or not.  Behavior is back.  Looks like it's a lucky power-on state causing it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:00 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline boogiemanspud

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 26, 2018, 04:14 AM »
I loaded v20 RC7 onto my SD card today and am loving the "new" games I can play with the new mapper support.  I did notice when i press reset on my toploader, it won't go back to the ED menu.  Is this a known thing?  It's not a big deal at all but I thought I would mention it.  I'm not sure if it's a bug or just something since the firmware is still in beta.

EDIT: I tested in case it would help and it's also the same with a front loader and a famicom.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:27 AM by boogiemanspud »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 26, 2018, 07:05 PM »
You may want to try to reinstall the update.  I've run into this problem before as well.

Offline boogiemanspud

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 27, 2018, 04:57 AM »
Hey, thanks for the suggestion, I tried it and it worked.  I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I was trying to copy in my SAVE folder from a previous version.  I looked through and didn't really see anything there that I needed to preserve.  Loving this update!

Offline redgoo

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 28, 2018, 08:11 AM »

I have the exact same issue on 2 systems. My PAL NES refuses to work with anything other than v16 (gets stuck on OS Init...) and my AV Famicom works but keeps showing IO errors etc, again no issues with v16, only issues on v20 on both systems. i've tested different SD cards etc and it is always same result .

Clearly an issue with the v20 code where something has to have been changed in regards to the file system handling due to it working perfectly with v16.

I know.i am not the only.one experiencing this issue and would happily.donate a system with the issue to get this resolved .

Not that I am moaning or have any right to demand anything but it has all gone very quiet from Krikzz. I can't see how this can ever move beyond beta / RC and get a proper release without this being addressed.

Same issue here. I've tried 6 different new SD cards now (Samsung and Sandisk in various versions and sizes) and I haven't found one that will work with v20. I've reformatted them fully, tried all the cluster sizes, loading files on in different orders, only loading a few files on, etc. and no go. They do work in V16 though. I asked a number of pages back if anyone could link a SD card that works in V20 that you can purchase new, but I got no responses. I'm also happy to donate to purchase a card to confirm the issue.

If someone can link a SD card that you can purchase that works in V20 it would be helpful for a bunch of us until there is a code fix in place.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 29, 2018, 01:35 AM »
Are the games that run on the mappers newly supported from RC1 forward all romhacks only?

I've been sticking to beta2 since that one never had any issues with any SD card while also providing save states for almost all games (by far the biggest innovation introduced in OS v20 IMO). Doesn't seem to be worth trying an RC again if it's only romhacks. Maybe there are some gems among those hacks?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 29, 2018, 05:44 AM »
Other OSes made improvements to the FDS sound. RC6 added the ability to further increase the volume of the expansion sound up to 200 percent, but RC4 was the last fix to FDS sound AFAIK. I recommend "downgrading" from RC7 to RC4-RC6 after testing since all it does is change MMC3 in a way that breaks compatibility with some games on AVS. I hope Krikzz removes RC7 or updates it soon.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 29, 2018, 09:23 AM »
RC7 made MMC3 worse, it should be removed.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 29, 2018, 07:22 PM »
I never jumped to RC7 for that reason, although admittedly, he made the changes in RC7 in response to some of us (including me) noting some seeming timing discrepancies in the Mega Man 3 title screen.  What I didn't know is that that line's length can apparently vary just a smidge, but at the very least, on my cart, it matches what is in RC6.

For the time being, I'm back on RC4, simply because of the odd issues I was getting in Ultima IV.  I don't really need the changes in RC6 badly.

Online Deltax5

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 30, 2018, 03:08 AM »
It's been awile. wonder if he is going for another rev or just finish it up with the finished firmware. Most of the latest firmware is pretty good. Just a little bit more i guess.
I wonder he can put the rest of the mappers.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 30, 2018, 11:21 AM »
First OS20 beta wave was in May, second was in August.
Will the the third (and final?) wave of beta/RC be in December?
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Retrothunder

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: December 07, 2018, 06:19 PM »
I have a retorusb avs , everdrive n8 and I've noticed that when I go to the main Menu of the AVS and return to the game cart and I get in turns black and I'm using the OS20 rc7 and this never happen on OS16 I could go to the main menu and go to the start cart and it takes me back to the everdrive OS.

UPDATE: OS20rc7

When I go back to the main meun of the retrousb avs interface and try to use its game genie and go back to the everdrive I get a back screen and when I use the OS16 non of this happens just though I would let the community know and if anyone is having the same problem as I am
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:34 PM by Retrothunder »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 07, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Try reinstalling the firmware.  Sometimes it doesn't seem to take on my card, either.

Also, I would use RC4, RC5, or RC6.  RC7 doesn't play nice in some regards. (I think it breaks something in MMC3 due to some erroneous feedback given by users, including myself.  :()

Offline Retrothunder

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 07, 2018, 10:20 PM »
Okay thanks I went back to the OS16 but I'll try to use them

Offline ShaolinZen

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 08, 2018, 07:55 PM »
I'm new to everdrive and just getting it ready to set up. Which firmware version should I install?