Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 168272 times)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #870 on: February 28, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Not to say something controversial, but I think krikzz's priority is to SELL his products,, he's not even posting on the forum anymore,, it's all on twitter.
The usual support here is "try a different sd card" is completely unacceptable for 100-200$ products.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 28, 2019, 06:01 PM »
Yeah.  Based on his twitter responses, I think he's completely done with the Everdrive N8 and is now focusing on it's successor.  I wonder if he finally figured out why the Everdrive is so unstable and it came down to a hardware issue.  Hence why he has fully abandoned it and is starting over on the new one?

Either way, I wouldn't expect any further updates from him on this. 

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 28, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Is he actually working on a hardware revision to the N8?  I guess I'm missing that.

I've gotten mine to a fairly stable state, but I would certainly love if we could get a tweaked final release.  Or at least a more foolproof method for avoiding SD errors or updating the firmware properly beyond formatting the card every time (and that doesn't always work, either).

I do understand why he hasn't rolled back around to it, given how large the product line is.  I just hope he does come back to this firmware.  We're approaching a point that is likely as good as this device can get!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:54 PM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 28, 2019, 08:54 PM »
Yeah.  Based on his twitter responses, I think he's completely done with the Everdrive N8 and is now focusing on it's successor.  I wonder if he finally figured out why the Everdrive is so unstable and it came down to a hardware issue.  Hence why he has fully abandoned it and is starting over on the new one?

Either way, I wouldn't expect any further updates from him on this.
If this is the case then it would be nice if Krikzz could at least inform people. When someone spends over 100 dollars on something some kind of notice and transparency is expected.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 28, 2019, 11:40 PM »
I wish Krikzz would post more on the forums. Not to mention that mapper 99 was working in OS 16 and broken in OS20 with no word on why it hasn't been fixed yet or why it was even supported in the first place (I don't mind support for it, but I was not expecting a surprised response to a hack being used for the Vs System mapper when most VS System games are only compatible with NES via hack). There was also a minor issue with the Mega Everdrive OS where full eeprom support was added, but save support for NBA Jam and some roms of NBA TE were broken with no mention of why this happened (I'm not sure if this was fixed in 3.07).

edit: I read a post on twitter where Krikzz said that he hasn't updated in awhile because he feels not many users are having issues with OS v20.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:19 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 01, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Understand, it is a business and bottom line is numbers talk.
He doesn't care for a few complaints, he sells hundreds flashcarts a day with very few returns, and that's all that matters.

On twitter he can promote new products with pretty pictures to generate more sales even if the marketing is questionable,, here on the forum he has to 'support' the true functionality of his products.
Obviously one is more appealing than the other...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:20 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 01, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Has there been an announcement for new hardware for the NES/FC? If not I hope one comes soon, for something like an N8 Pro.

Krikzz's time is better spent on new hardware that will work for everyone and do more than trying to squeeze out as much as possible from old hardware that obviously cannot keep up with firmware updates and that already does the same, if not a lot more, than what was offered when most people bought it..

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 01, 2019, 04:11 PM »
I have a AVS.  Is os 2.0 rc6 good.  I hear MMC3 is best on rc6?

Has there been an announcement for new hardware for the NES/FC? If not I hope one comes soon, for something like an N8 Pro.

Krikzz's time is better spent on new hardware that will work for everyone and do more than trying to squeeze out as much as possible from old hardware that obviously cannot keep up with firmware updates and that already does the same, if not a lot more, than what was offered when most people bought it..

Not everyone wants to spend more money on a new version if the older N8's still work good.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:27 PM by Odin Belmont »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 01, 2019, 05:10 PM »
RC6 works on AVS.

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 01, 2019, 06:17 PM »

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 02, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Not everyone wants to spend more money on a new version if the older N8's still work good.

Of course, and those people can just keep their older N8s that still work good.

On my side I'd be more than happy to spend on a better one, get some money back selling the old one to someone who doesn't need new features, and enjoy a more reliable product. As the SD2SNES Pro has shown, there's a lot of people that feel that way about these carts.

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 02, 2019, 07:52 PM »

Of course, and those people can just keep their older N8s that still work good.

On my side I'd be more than happy to spend on a better one, get some money back selling the old one to someone who doesn't need new features, and enjoy a more reliable product. As the SD2SNES Pro has shown, there's a lot of people that feel that way about these carts.
There is one big difference. The original SD2SNES still gets firmware updates and is still made to be stable.
New hardware is for new features impossible on the original and for replacing out of date hardware. The N8 should still get updated to a stable state.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 03, 2019, 03:18 AM »
I think that's the biggest thing, really.  I've never had any problems with stability on the SD2SNES.  And to be fair, I don't have any with several other EverDrive products, either.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 03, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Not to say something controversial, but I think krikzz's priority is to SELL his products,, he's not even posting on the forum anymore,, it's all on twitter.
The usual support here is "try a different sd card" is completely unacceptable for 100-200$ products.

Not acceptable? I wonder, what exactly you expecting for? When you buy some apple gadget, for 1000$ as example, can you take some direct feedback from the engineers who working over device development? In best case you will take few completely useless tips from guy in call center. You talking about 100-200$ product like about very limited exclusive car for 10 000 000$. This is not working that way.
I do what i can, but i not an god. i physically can not sit here and give the tips how to copy files on sd card and work over development at same time. So, time to time i here, but rest of time i working over hardware and my scoliosis. Back in 2010 i always been ready to response because i had only one cart and few customers, now i should support much more people and devices, but i still have only one head and two hands.

Speeches about rejecting old product for sell new ones is completely nonsense, i did NEVER get any sales boosts after releasing some updated versions of products, such releases always stays invisible in sales diagrams, only completely new product, which did not been in everdrive range before, gives sales boosts. Well, may be sd2snes pro is the only exception, but hype ends pretty fast anyway.
I making new products because my perfectionism want it, and they  usually not supported with old because i do not want be limited by legacy designs which were made when i been less skilled than now.
From commercial point of view there is no any sense to replace old version of products, especially if they do not have competitors. It waste of time to make new version if current version sells good already, but i do this anyway. For good commercial results i shouldn't release any update version of devices which already exist, only completely new devices should be in priority. Also, even if i forced to update something due outdated parts, i rather would stay all on old software to save the time, if my focus would be commercial profit only, but perfectionism force me to made all from the scratch and drop compatibility with old devices.
Oh, and what about sd2snes, profit guy probably would drain old stock before release new sd2snes-pro, but instead i released it before and start sales once pro was ready, old version now on sale with large discount and i still have lot of unsold, who knows how many time need to sell them now.
So, please, not make me again listen stories about changing device hardware to make more money.

As for v20, well, i really don't know why it not working for some of us, it work on all my test carts and all my systems. I do not know how to fix the problem if i can't see the problem. But what if i would not made v20 at all? N8 still be best in terms of mappers support and features, all would be happy with v16 or some v17 with minor updates. But i tried to made huge jump for N8, spent incredible amount of time for all those mappers and fds sound and what i have after all? Only complaints? I must say this is dissapoint and demotivate me.

I want to say once again that when you buy the product, you guaranted will take the item with specification listed on the product page on the moment when you buy it, nothing else. Don't blame me that you  did not get enough updates, i did not promised anything except what i already have.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 03, 2019, 08:19 PM »

Not acceptable? I wonder, what exactly you expecting for? When you buy some apple gadget, for 1000$ as example, can you take some direct feedback from the engineers who working over device development? In best case you will take few completely useless tips from guy in call center. You talking about 100-200$ product like about very limited exclusive car for 10 000 000$. This is not working that way.
I do what i can, but i not an god. i physically can not sit here and give the tips how to copy files on sd card and work over development at same time. So, time to time i here, but rest of time i working over hardware and my scoliosis. Back in 2010 i always been ready to response because i had only one cart and few customers, now i should support much more people and devices, but i still have only one head and two hands.

Speeches about rejecting old product for sell new ones is completely nonsense, i did NEVER get any sales boosts after releasing some updated versions of products, such releases always stays invisible in sales diagrams, only completely new product, which did not been in everdrive range before, gives sales boosts. Well, may be sd2snes pro is the only exception, but hype ends pretty fast anyway.
I making new products because my perfectionism want it, and they  usually not supported with old because i do not want be limited by legacy designs which were made when i been less skilled than now.
From commercial point of view there is no any sense to replace old version of products, especially if they do not have competitors. It waste of time to make new version if current version sells good already, but i do this anyway. For good commercial results i shouldn't release any update version of devices which already exist, only completely new devices should be in priority. Also, even if i forced to update something due outdated parts, i rather would stay all on old software to save the time, if my focus would be commercial profit only, but perfectionism force me to made all from the scratch and drop compatibility with old devices.
Oh, and what about sd2snes, profit guy probably would drain old stock before release new sd2snes-pro, but instead i released it before and start sales once pro was ready, old version now on sale with large discount and i still have lot of unsold, who knows how many time need to sell them now.
So, please, not make me again listen stories about changing device hardware to make more money.

As for v20, well, i really don't know why it not working for some of us, it work on all my test carts and all my systems. I do not know how to fix the problem if i can't see the problem. But what if i would not made v20 at all? N8 still be best in terms of mappers support and features, all would be happy with v16 or some v17 with minor updates. But i tried to made huge jump for N8, spent incredible amount of time for all those mappers and fds sound and what i have after all? Only complaints? I must say this is dissapoint and demotivate me.

I want to say once again that when you buy the product, you guaranted will take the item with specification listed on the product page on the moment when you buy it, nothing else. Don't blame me that you  did not get enough updates, i did not promised anything except what i already have.

Hey Krikzz.... please do not let a few idots comments demotivate you. There are many of us who are extremely pleased with your amazing work and realise the time and dedication that goes into it!

I cannot even begin to understand what it must be like supporting all of these products etc!

Regarding v20 it is an amazing update... and I love playing games with that sweet FDS sound (which sounds pretty much perfect btw!).

That being said I do personally have an issue with the SD card read timing on my AV Famicom on v20 but not v16 but it is just an annoyance more than anything as I can work around it, on my PAL system v16 works perfect but on v20 cannot get past OS init... message but again if I want to use it i just downgrade to v16, not the end of the world!

I am hoping you are able to finish v20 and get it out of the beta stage as it would be a real shame to come all this way and to not get it perfect... I am a bit of a perfectionist like yourself so I relate to what you are saying! If I can help in anyway e.g. post my Everdrive and console with the issue to you I would be more than happy to do so! Just let me know.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:22 PM by flex »