Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 202963 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #885 on: March 03, 2019, 08:47 PM »
If I can help in anyway e.g. post my Everdrive and console with the issue to you I would be more than happy to do so! Just let me know.

This would be really helpful. I think i will solve the problem if you can send full kit (cart + console + sd card)

Offline Captain N

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 03, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Krikzz, you are a god among men.
Just know that all of your incredible work and effort you put towards your work and support is very much appreciated and very impressive.
Not to mention admirable
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 01:15 AM by Captain N »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 03, 2019, 10:44 PM »
I'm sorry I came off the wrong way, but the problem I had with the mapper 99 issue is that it's something I mentioned a long time ago, something that was talked about on the forum, and something that seemed to be completely ignored with no explanation of why. It's not something I wanted fixed ASAP, but I even went as far as posting a link to the hack here (the patch can be found at nes.goondocks.se). I didn't mention it to be rude, but because it was something that was working before.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:19 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 03, 2019, 11:06 PM »
If I can help in anyway e.g. post my Everdrive and console with the issue to you I would be more than happy to do so! Just let me know.

This would be really helpful. I think i will solve the problem if you can send full kit (cart + console + sd card)

I also have problems with the v20 beta,tested with many other sdcards,but i can live with it.
Its not the end of the world igor,the only solution is someone send his console-n8 and sdcard to solve this problem once and for all.

Offline Captain N

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 03, 2019, 11:35 PM »
I'm curious about the people having issues here.
Did you buy your SD cards bundled with your Everdrives or did you use one from a different place

Offline tic

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 04, 2019, 02:35 AM »
Hi have tested the n8 with the last beta firmware in the retroport. (not sure someone have tested it).

I use the retrotoad adaptor 60-72 pins converter. It boot, but i have strange issues with for example  In the new zeland history ( the screen begin flickering changing colours and then crash) or jurassic park for example where floor change between two colours after x time.

As i have these games in the multi cartriges ii have tested it and work fine. So very strange issue.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 04, 2019, 03:47 AM »
I think most comments are simply constructive feedback on things that can be improved.  I'm certainly not trying to come off as unappreciative!  It's just that you've come a long way with the v20 update, and it is a beta, which implies you want feedback.  You've been awesome enough to fix things in the past, so certainly some of us hope that a few more tweaks will make it nearly perfect.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline tic

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 04, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Well, about the issues.(type sd card, not te retroport). I think the cause can be variations on the type of ics used in motherboard.

I explain why i tell these. I have varius nevir nvr-vi (old famiclone with tipically umc chips). All are exactly equal in the pcb except one.  These can run alliexpress cartridges that the other can do. And at the same time these can have errors in the n8. Where the others run it as a solid rock.

And the only diference was a AHCT latch in one and a ls equivalent in the others.

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 05, 2019, 01:16 AM »
I'm curious about the people having issues here.
Did you buy your SD cards bundled with your Everdrives or did you use one from a different place

I have problem with the N8 menu iwth my Av Famicom (rc5 works tho). I use a Sandisk MicroSD.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 05, 2019, 02:03 AM »
Yeah.  Based on his twitter responses, I think he's completely done with the Everdrive N8 and is now focusing on it's successor.  I wonder if he finally figured out why the Everdrive is so unstable and it came down to a hardware issue.  Hence why he has fully abandoned it and is starting over on the new one?

Either way, I wouldn't expect any further updates from him on this.
This is just plain stupid, baseless, and completely speculative. How the hell would he be "completely done" with Everdrive N8? Do you have any shred of proof of this, besides his Twitter? Did he tell you in person? Have you ever stopped to consider the fact that v20 is still on RC and actually hasn't been been finalized and he may still be bugfixing it? I guess he's abandoned EDGBA and EDGBC, since there haven't been any recent updates to those too, right?

Don't quit your day job.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:21 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #895 on: March 05, 2019, 06:51 AM »

We could chip in for the shipping if you do go through with this. It would help a lot a lot of peoples.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 05, 2019, 06:39 PM »
I know a couple of users had problems on PAL systems. Not sure if that's the issue, but the 1.30 firmware of the AVS had a similar problem when it tweaked the PAL support. While I'm sure it's an issue on the AVS side, maybe looking in to it can shed some light on why some PAL NES systems have a similar SD card crash?

Offline slickrasta

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 08, 2019, 07:59 AM »
As for v20, well, i really don't know why it not working for some of us, it work on all my test carts and all my systems. I do not know how to fix the problem if i can't see the problem. But what if i would not made v20 at all? N8 still be best in terms of mappers support and features, all would be happy with v16 or some v17 with minor updates. But i tried to made huge jump for N8, spent incredible amount of time for all those mappers and fds sound and what i have after all? Only complaints? I must say this is dissapoint and demotivate me.

I just want to say I greatly appreciate your efforts Krikzz and the time that you put into your products. You are very skilled at what you do, it's evident with each of your flash carts and the Joyzz that you are a perfectionist. Programming this N8 v20 update must be incredibly complex and I know that the people complaining don't understand this. I think people need to have more patience and understand that you are doing this out of pure passion for enhancing an already fantastic product! Keep up the good work and remember there's always people like me rooting for you and enjoying your work immensely!

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 09, 2019, 06:08 AM »
RC6 is what you want to use.
I have no problems on all of my Famicoms with OS v20 RC6.

AVS is a hardware emulator, and if it doesn't run like the real hardware, retroUSB should fix that, not krikzz.
OS v16 worked on the AVS with no problems because retroUSB tweaked the AVS to work with v16.

Besides, all signes pointing at krikzz cooking a new N8 Pro.  :)

For me, OS16 has artifacts on AVS and OS20 doesn't (not sure if fixed in the latest firmware, though). OS20, aside from RC7 on the latest AVS firmware actually runs better on AVS for me than OS16. I know full well AVS is a FPGA simulation and not quite perfect. I know that there are issues on the AVS side.

AV Famicom works great with OS20, but the official Nintendo top loading NES is getting the SD errors. I don't know if I NES style Everdrive would do the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:16 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 10, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Not to say something controversial, but I think krikzz's priority is to SELL his products,, he's not even posting on the forum anymore,, it's all on twitter.
The usual support here is "try a different sd card" is completely unacceptable for 100-200$ products.

Not acceptable? I wonder, what exactly you expecting for? When you buy some apple gadget, for 1000$ as example, can you take some direct feedback from the engineers who working over device development? In best case you will take few completely useless tips from guy in call center. You talking about 100-200$ product like about very limited exclusive car for 10 000 000$. This is not working that way.
I do what i can, but i not an god. i physically can not sit here and give the tips how to copy files on sd card and work over development at same time. So, time to time i here, but rest of time i working over hardware and my scoliosis. Back in 2010 i always been ready to response because i had only one cart and few customers, now i should support much more people and devices, but i still have only one head and two hands.

Speeches about rejecting old product for sell new ones is completely nonsense, i did NEVER get any sales boosts after releasing some updated versions of products, such releases always stays invisible in sales diagrams, only completely new product, which did not been in everdrive range before, gives sales boosts. Well, may be sd2snes pro is the only exception, but hype ends pretty fast anyway.
I making new products because my perfectionism want it, and they  usually not supported with old because i do not want be limited by legacy designs which were made when i been less skilled than now.
From commercial point of view there is no any sense to replace old version of products, especially if they do not have competitors. It waste of time to make new version if current version sells good already, but i do this anyway. For good commercial results i shouldn't release any update version of devices which already exist, only completely new devices should be in priority. Also, even if i forced to update something due outdated parts, i rather would stay all on old software to save the time, if my focus would be commercial profit only, but perfectionism force me to made all from the scratch and drop compatibility with old devices.
Oh, and what about sd2snes, profit guy probably would drain old stock before release new sd2snes-pro, but instead i released it before and start sales once pro was ready, old version now on sale with large discount and i still have lot of unsold, who knows how many time need to sell them now.
So, please, not make me again listen stories about changing device hardware to make more money.

As for v20, well, i really don't know why it not working for some of us, it work on all my test carts and all my systems. I do not know how to fix the problem if i can't see the problem. But what if i would not made v20 at all? N8 still be best in terms of mappers support and features, all would be happy with v16 or some v17 with minor updates. But i tried to made huge jump for N8, spent incredible amount of time for all those mappers and fds sound and what i have after all? Only complaints? I must say this is dissapoint and demotivate me.

I want to say once again that when you buy the product, you guaranted will take the item with specification listed on the product page on the moment when you buy it, nothing else. Don't blame me that you  did not get enough updates, i did not promised anything except what i already have.
I saw this reply and would like to clear something up with you. First of all feature wise the OS20 is fantastic and it mostly works very well. With the bugs I under it isn't easy to fix when you can't get them to happen with your systems etc. I certainly never meant to demotivate you or be nasty. My one point that I did want to address and still thing is important was the lack of communication with the update. I understand that you don't have to do it and that's fine but it would be nice to be updated on what is going on. Just something like "I'm not sure what is causing the issues yet, I'll try and look into it but need a break for a while first". Something like that would honestly mean the world to a lot of people. Again I don't mean this to be nasty, just a point of constructive criticism. I think it would overall help to make things clearer. With RC6 the NTSC mode on my AVS works fantastic, PAL mode works on the AVS using 1.30b5 mostly but doesn't allow you to reset as you get some yellow lines and nothing else. For PAL on my PAL NES most things work well but I did get an issue playing Castlevania 3. The graphics are very messed up.
As was mentioned before in many cases OS20 still runs better than OS16 at least for me.