Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 306428 times)

Offline ryufrvr

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #900 on: March 10, 2019, 11:53 PM »
test save and load states on sharp twin famicom

--------------------------------------------------------
v20 (test on rc4, rc6, rc7)
save state

load state

---------------------------------------------------------

v16
save state

load state

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #901 on: March 11, 2019, 04:23 PM »
As for v20, well, i really don't know why it not working for some of us, it work on all my test carts and all my systems. I do not know how to fix the problem if i can't see the problem. But what if i would not made v20 at all? N8 still be best in terms of mappers support and features, all would be happy with v16 or some v17 with minor updates. But i tried to made huge jump for N8, spent incredible amount of time for all those mappers and fds sound and what i have after all? Only complaints? I must say this is dissapoint and demotivate me.
Completely agree. Current stable release is perfect and is the best NES flash cart out there. The extras being added to the later beta release are all free upgrades to me. If they don't work on your setup, then I'm genuinely sorry but no one owes you anything beyond what's advertised in v16.
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 11, 2019, 08:31 PM »
If they don't work on your setup, then I'm genuinely sorry but no one owes you anything beyond what's advertised in v16.

Did you really need to say something like this? I'm grateful that the upgrades even exist and I didn't expect anything beyond OS 16, but I fell like I'm being discouraged from pointing out bugs. I agree nobody owes me anything, but it's frustrating when a bug is pointed out and explained in detail in a post and confirmed to be happening with multiple users (and I'm referring to mapper 99, not the SD errors), and instead, due to a lack of communication, an update happens that shouldn't have happened in the first place. OS20 does work on the majority of my systems and I'm thankful for the MMC5 and improved FDS sound.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 11, 2019, 10:39 PM »
I want to say once again that when you buy the product, you guaranted will take the item with specification listed on the product page on the moment when you buy it, nothing else. Don't blame me that you  did not get enough updates, i did not promised anything except what i already have.

Funny, I keep reminding this to people who act like self entitled dorks on this forum and all I get is hate and vitriol in return.

Krikzz, for what is worth, I'm very happy with my everdrive N8 and everything you've accomplished, and I'm very thankful for all your efforts.

On the other hand, if you make the code open source (probably a bad idea if you are trying to deter chinese cloners) then someone will eventually iron out all those pesky bugs for you, I'm sure.

Thanks again for a great product and support.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 11, 2019, 10:45 PM »
If I can help in anyway e.g. post my Everdrive and console with the issue to you I would be more than happy to do so! Just let me know.

This would be really helpful. I think i will solve the problem if you can send full kit (cart + console + sd card)

We could chip in for the shipping if you do go through with this. It would help a lot a lot of peoples.

Hey I could send him my AVS and N8 if everyone chips in on the shipping too! hehehe. But probably no one will, from South America to Ukraine the cost of shipping even a tiny console and cartridge is beyond ridiculous.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 11, 2019, 10:48 PM »
If they don't work on your setup, then I'm genuinely sorry but no one owes you anything beyond what's advertised in v16.
Yeah, because telling someone they don't deserve a working product, based on the type of system they're using is always okay!  ::)

I'm genuinely sorry that you can't see beyond your own arrogance.  :(

I want to say once again that when you buy the product, you guaranted will take the item with specification listed on the product page on the moment when you buy it, nothing else. Don't blame me that you  did not get enough updates, i did not promised anything except what i already have.

Funny, I keep reminding this to people who act like self entitled dorks on this forum and all I get is hate and vitriol in return.

Krikzz, for what is worth, I'm very happy with my everdrive N8 and everything you've accomplished, and I'm very thankful for all your efforts.

On the other hand, if you make the code open source (probably a bad idea if you are trying to deter chinese cloners) then someone will eventually iron out all those pesky bugs for you, I'm sure.

Thanks again for a great product and support.
Honestly, he should make the code open source. Did SD2SNES wonders, what with SuperFX, SA-1, and S-DD1 having working cores. Pirates will ALWAYS pirate/bootleg/hack anything closed source or not. Fighting them is an uphill battle. The hardware, though, should definitely remain closed source. I got my N8 back in 2014, and seeing all the new updates, has made me more thankful than ever for products like this.
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 11, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Honestly, he should make the code open source. Did SD2SNES wonders, what with SuperFX, SA-1, and S-DD1 having working cores. Pirates will ALWAYS pirate/bootleg/hack anything closed source or not. Fighting them is an uphill battle. The hardware, though, should definitely remain closed source. I got my N8 back in 2014, and seeing all the new updates, has made me more thankful than ever for products like this.

If we are talking about special cart chips/mappers/etc, then the same has happened with the N8, as there are several users who've contributed mappers to the N8, such as slammy, necronomfive and others. I was talking about open sourcing the main code on github aside from the mappers, as krikzz may be limited by his free time, his particular setups or consoles, and by his current knowledge level. If others chip in, it could go great, but it would also make it 300% easier for bootleggers to copy his code so it's a tough choice to make.

It's his decision in the end, I just threw that out there because I'm now seeing how the community is coming together for things like the special chips support on the SD2Snes or the MISTer project.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 11, 2019, 11:04 PM »

If we are talking about special cart chips/mappers/etc, then the same has happened with the N8, as there are several users who've contributed mappers to the N8, such as slammy, necronomfive and others. I was talking about open sourcing the main code on github aside from the mappers, as krikzz may be limited by his free time, his particular setups or consoles, and by his current knowledge level. If others chip in, it could go great, but it would also make it 300% easier for bootleggers to copy his code so it's a tough choice to make.

It's his decision in the end, I just threw that out there because I'm now seeing how the community is coming together for things like the special chips support on the SD2Snes or the MISTer project.
I was talking about ALL of it. not just the mappers. I did say that trying to prevent pirates from bootlegging code is nearly useless right? With SD2SNES, the only thing that was bootlegged, was the hardware. The code hasn't been AFAIK, because it's open source on github (Can't really bootleg what is already open, right?). But yes, obviously it's up to him to do with what he wants with his code.
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 12, 2019, 12:44 AM »
I tend to agree that making all of it open-source might be really helpful, in that I'm sure we have folks that would gladly tackle the issues that we've seen and it would free KRIKzz to work on the myriad other projects he has going.

I also think folks are assuming people are being entitled when they give feedback on the firmware.  KRIKzz released these as a beta to get feedback on it, and that's what most of us have been doing.  Even if the cart had stopped at V16, I would have been happy with my purchase, but when V20 was released, there was a general assumption that feedback was desired, especially when we're talking about release candidates.  Since V20 hasn't been made official, that also implies that KRIKzz is still working on it, and probably just a small response letting us know that he's super busy with other stuff and will roll back around to this when he gets a chance would go a long, long way.  I know how time-consuming maintenance on this large a product line has to be, but it would certainly assuage concerns!

So here's hoping we can keep the vitriol to a minimum from here on out.  This little community functions much better that way!  :)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 12, 2019, 04:02 AM »
LOL So...v20 will be the forever-beta firmware like?

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 12, 2019, 04:20 AM »
LOL So...v20 will be the forever-beta firmware like?
Nice assumption there, pal.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 12, 2019, 05:44 AM »
If I can help in anyway e.g. post my Everdrive and console with the issue to you I would be more than happy to do so! Just let me know.

This would be really helpful. I think i will solve the problem if you can send full kit (cart + console + sd card)

We could chip in for the shipping if you do go through with this. It would help a lot a lot of peoples.

Yep I will be shipping it all out in the next few days, was working away last week so didnt get a chance.

I am estimating shipping from the UK will be about £17 if I can keep the parcel size down otherwise it going to ba a lot more! I will post a picture of the receipt with the final cost once posted.

If you are feeling generous and want to chip in you can send me some funds via paypal via paypal.me/djflex but you may want to wait until I post the receipt. I don't mind either way.

I'm curious about the people having issues here.
Did you buy your SD cards bundled with your Everdrives or did you use one from a different place

Using my own SD Cards here, mainly using a SanDisk Ultra 16GB microSDHC (A1 Performance). This one here and I always do a clean format FAT32 with 32kb file allocation when changing OS.

However I can replicate the issues with pretty much any SD card and the issues disappear as soon as I downgrade to OS v16 so really don't think this is a case of dodgy SD cards or anything.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 12, 2019, 07:20 PM »
hopefully when Krikzz has a setup which is showing sd card issues in his hands he can figure out what is going on.
 it must be very hard to diagnose an issue like this when none of your own hardware is replicating the problem(s).
 it must have been a real setback for krikzz after putting in a lot of effort to add more mappers like the difficult MMC5 and also fixing the expansion sound and then receive so many bug reports.
 like Krikzz said he tried to roll out a really good beta for v20 and it's probably been very frustrating for him and for users alike.
 really hope the bugs and sd card issues get sorted in the future. fingers crossed.

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 12, 2019, 08:29 PM »
With regards to SD Cards, I think a first step anybody must do is 100% abandon using Windows' built-in formatting tool.  Do a google search for the SD Card Association's SD Card Formatter.  Then just use the "overwrite" option in there and format your cards.  I had issues in an Everdrive that formatting via the SD Card Association's formatting tool completely corrected. 

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 12, 2019, 10:25 PM »
With regards to SD Cards, I think a first step anybody must do is 100% abandon using Windows' built-in formatting tool.  Do a google search for the SD Card Association's SD Card Formatter.  Then just use the "overwrite" option in there and format your cards.  I had issues in an Everdrive that formatting via the SD Card Association's formatting tool completely corrected.

I tried a different formatting tool and just used the SD card association's tool just in case, but the errors vary depending on system, so I doubt that it's an SD card issue.

edit: I reformatted using the SD card association tool with a full format and still have the same issue on the top loading NES.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:10 AM by brianvgplayer »