Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 166614 times)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #915 on: March 13, 2019, 01:27 AM »
It probably wouldn't hurt if he had one of those systems that exhibits the screen "breaking up" like mine does on certain games (Quest of the Avatar).  Three NES systems, two of which have the behavior and one that doesn't.  Definitely weird, and related to the bus changes between RC4 and RC5.

The two spares I have need work on them, though.  I've been putting off a recap; the composite lines have interference or really screwy stuff going on with them.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 13, 2019, 03:16 AM »
i wonder what is the cause of sd card problems in general.
 for example i purchased a master everdrive x7 a few months back and it refused to work properly with any of my old small sized sd cards which i have been using on my old model everdrives without issues.
  to get the master everdrive x7 to work i had to use a newer 32gb sandisk type card which is almost an empty card now because the sms library is so small.
 i'm not sure if the issue with the master everdrive x7 and old small sd cards is due to new hardware or something in the new os.
 it does seem strange that the sd card issues have become a major problem since the latest n8 os v20 beta revisions.
 only Krikzz would know what is different with the new os versions in regards to how the sd cards work. but v16 is mostly ok for most users so something must have changed sd card wise in the new os. if only Krikzz can pinpoint the issue.

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 20, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Flex, did you get your system mailed off? I'm on v14 or v15 I think, so I haven't messed around with anything new, I just really enjoy when problems are figures out and fixed!

Great of you to do this, maybe I need to do it with my TG16 and Everdrive for that, it's never worked...

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 20, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Flex, did you get your system mailed off? I'm on v14 or v15 I think, so I haven't messed around with anything new, I just really enjoy when problems are figures out and fixed!

Great of you to do this, maybe I need to do it with my TG16 and Everdrive for that, it's never worked...

On hold at the moment, I sent some videos of my issues to Krikzz and he said not to worry as he thinks it may be something to do with the Hyperkin 60 - 72 pin adapter I am using in my PAL NES as I have the N8 Famicom version so I can use it in my AV Famicom and the PAL NES with the adapter, he is going to source one of these himself first. If I'm honest though I am slightly skeptical as the adapter works with no issues on OS v16 unless something changed in the code causing the hang with the adapter, also I still get intermittent IO issues on the AV Fami where there is no adapter in use.

However no one is going to know better than the man himself so who am I to question! lol. Fingers crossed!

I still have the console and everything here ready to post if necessary.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:16 PM by flex »

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 20, 2019, 10:47 PM »

On hold at the moment, I sent some videos of my issues to Krikzz and he said not to worry as he thinks it may be something to do with the Hyperkin 60 - 72 pin adapter I am using in my PAL NES as I have the N8 Famicom version so I can use it in my AV Famicom and the PAL NES with the adapter, he is going to source one of these himself first. If I'm honest though I am slightly skeptical as the adapter works with no issues on OS v16 unless something changed in the code causing the hang with the adapter, also I still get intermittent IO issues on the AV Fami where there is no adapter in use.

However no one is going to know better than the man himself so who am I to question! lol. Fingers crossed!

I still have the console and everything here ready to post if necessary.
I feel like that's unlikely but I could be wrong. I have the standard NES shell and get some issues still.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 21, 2019, 03:55 AM »
guys. if the same hardware setups is working fine with older OS versions without issues then surely by process of elimination the issue must be software related?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 21, 2019, 04:38 AM »
I have IO errors when using the Famicom N8 with the stone age gamer FC to NES adapter on the top loading NES with the betas, but not with OS 16.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #922 on: March 29, 2019, 12:36 AM »
Come to think of it, I forgot that my Everdrive N8 is actually the famicom version that I use with an fc to nes adapter. It’s been so long I forgot about it since its installed in a north american sized shell. Reading some of the other comments, it seem that at least some of the others users experiencing issues are also using an adapter. Wonder if its a coincidence. Mine was also one of the very early, if not the first batch of Everdrive N8.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 29, 2019, 06:04 AM »
guys. if the same hardware setups is working fine with older OS versions without issues then surely by process of elimination the issue must be software related?
Yes, but the problem is that Krikzz needs to replicate the issue in order to fix it. He hasn't been able to do it, at least on his setup.
And so I go fast.

Offline my2k2zx2

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 29, 2019, 11:21 PM »
I also have the famicom version of the N8 used with a US front loader and cant get anything newer than v16 to work.

I've tried just about every microsd card in varying storage sizes under the sun and multiple 60-72 converters.

Do I just sell this and order the US NES version for the newer firmware?

Might actually be cheaper to buy a Famicom and see if that works with v20.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:10 AM by my2k2zx2 »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 30, 2019, 03:26 AM »
Yes, but the problem is that Krikzz needs to replicate the issue in order to fix it. He hasn't been able to do it, at least on his setup.

yeah i know that mate. it's the biggest setback with the sd card issue. if Krikzz could replicate it or get his hands in a setup with an sd card issue then that could be a big step in figuring out whats going on.
 still it was odd that the master everdrive x7 i purchased just did not like my old 2gb sd card at all. was this caused by something in the x7 os or the new hardware? the 2gb card worked fine with my old master everdrive so i wonder what caused the incompatibility and are these issues across the board with latest os versions for other everdrives?
 maybe you just cant use non sdxc/sdhc cards with the x7? i got it to boot a few times with the 2gb card but the os was just going crazy. as soon as i used a new 32gb card the x7 worked perfect.
 i know the issue with n8 is not the same but it is sd card related.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:29 AM by butfluffy »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #926 on: March 31, 2019, 12:36 AM »
What happened to that plan of sending a console and everdrive experiencing the issue to Krikzz?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 31, 2019, 06:50 AM »
What happened to that plan of sending a console and everdrive experiencing the issue to Krikzz?

This was answered a few posts ago. It was put on hold since Krikzz wants to test a FC to NES adapter with the FC Everdrive N8 to see if that is causing the issue,

Offline my2k2zx2

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 31, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Adding to my post above, I also have 2 front loading NES consoles that do not work wit any v20 version.  Using the 60-72 adapter has to be the issue.

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 31, 2019, 06:13 PM »
That is strange. I've just received some cheap-ass 60 to 72 pin adapter from China, and my Everdrive N8 works on my AV Famicom, and NES frontloader (PAL) consoles with V20 firmware. I haven't spotted any issues so far.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 06:16 PM by yojc »