Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 242797 times)

Offline my2k2zx2

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #930 on: March 31, 2019, 06:20 PM »
The adapters i have tried are a China one, a Hyperkin, one from Gyromite, and one from Wrecking Crew.

Offline Thomu

• View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 31, 2019, 10:57 PM »
That is strange. I've just received some cheap-ass 60 to 72 pin adapter from China, and my Everdrive N8 works on my AV Famicom, and NES frontloader (PAL) consoles with V20 firmware. I haven't spotted any issues so far.
Try Mega man 3 and 4. 3 randomly freezes and 4 has graphical issues like with the hippo in ring man's stage.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:10 PM by Thomu »
Own:EDN8|SD2SNESPRO|SD2SNES|MegaEDV2|MasterEDX7|EDGBX7|EDGBAX5(x2)|ED64X7|ED64V3|ED64V2.5|PSIO(x2)|GDEMU|USBGDROM|Phoebe(x2)|WaspFusion(x3)|NGPSD(x2)|LynxSD|JagSD|EDGB|Flashboy+|SSDS3|NeoSDPro|EZFlashOmega(x3)|EDMDclone|GDEMUclone
Ordered:MegaSD
To buy:EDN8PRO|EDGBAX7|EDGGX7|MultiBoy32|LynxSDSlim

Offline dev639

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 06, 2019, 06:31 AM »
Am I glad that Krikzz is still working on this one! I've been saving money to get the FC N8 which has been hard. I wanna say I value his work, his professionalism and his perfectionism on all his lines of products. This is my first post here in the forums and I wanted to ask one question: what hardware is OS20 being tested on by Krikzz? I have two Famicoms and I wanted to keep the one type motherboard he's using.

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 06, 2019, 11:51 AM »
Try Mega man 3 and 4. 3 randomly freezes and 4 has graphical issues like with the hippo in ring man's stage.
I've got a physical copy of Rockman 4, so I've compared it against Mega Man 4 ran on EDN8 via the adapter.

Ring Man stage in Rockman 4 (real cartridge, AV Famicom):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/405382805?t=00h14m20s

Ring Man stage in Mega Man 4 (EDN8 v20 + adapter, PAL NES):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/406892556

Looks alright to me :) (and before you ask, it works the same with the EDN8 on AV Famicom and US/JP ROM)

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 06, 2019, 02:00 PM »
I've got a physical copy of Rockman 4, so I've compared it against Mega Man 4 ran on EDN8 via the adapter.

Ring Man stage in Rockman 4 (real cartridge, AV Famicom):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/405382805?t=00h14m20s

Ring Man stage in Mega Man 4 (EDN8 v20 + adapter, PAL NES):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/406892556

Looks alright to me :) (and before you ask, it works the same with the EDN8 on AV Famicom and US/JP ROM)

Out of curiosity what version of v20 was that running ?

Also I recently RGB modified an AV Famicom for a friend and loaded up Mega Man 3 US and noticed some graphical issues e.g. the flickery line on the stage select screen was bigger and down the bottom not the middle of the screen and when pausing in game the menu was transparent and unuseable. I hadn't seen this on mine before , however after some messing about I realised that when it happens if I power cycle the console and load it again they disappear and it's back to normal, must be an odd timing thing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:06 PM by flex »

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 07, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Out of curiosity what version of v20 was that running ?
RC7

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 08, 2019, 08:03 PM »
It has been said a million times in this thread to not use RC7 because it has wrong MMC3 tuning.
Use RC6.

Why does KRIKzz keep this RC7 on the first page?
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 08, 2019, 08:27 PM »
It has been said a million times in this thread to not use RC7 because it has wrong MMC3 tuning.
Use RC6.

Why does KRIKzz keep this RC7 on the first page?

No idea but the issue I mentioned was with RC6 not RC7!

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 09, 2019, 12:25 AM »
Also I recently RGB modified an AV Famicom for a friend and loaded up Mega Man 3 US and noticed some graphical issues e.g. the flickery line on the stage select screen was bigger and down the bottom not the middle of the screen and when pausing in game the menu was transparent and unuseable. I hadn't seen this on mine before , however after some messing about I realised that when it happens if I power cycle the console and load it again they disappear and it's back to normal, must be an odd timing thing.

Thought I would just shoot a quick demo of this issue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZYdSCy5BU

Fixed after a few power cycles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FowDIm6taUY

Never noticed this on my own AV Famicom and have loaded this game quite a lot. My friends AV Famicom (the one in the video) is a slightly newer main board revision and has a later revision of the NESRGB board as well but doubt it is related to the RGB board.

Weird!

I have also managed to sort my SD card issues on v20 (on the AV Famicom not the PAL NES) by using an old 2GB SD card... random IO errors have not returned since using this card!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:39 AM by flex »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 09, 2019, 01:29 AM »
I've run into some issues recently myself that I put in the N8 subforum.  Interesting file behavior when putting new versions on the SD card, and also trying to track down some issues with Batman that crept in between RC3 and RC4, at least on my system.

RC6 has other issues that keep me from using it on my currently-used NES.  I also tried the cart on one I pulled out of the closet, and ended up getting some error 65s.  I will note this is on a stock front-loader NES, no adapters.

I do think there are some initialization things, or junk in certain parts of memory, that might be breaking certain games.  I know that the N8 can't really be used for things like Final Fantasy speedruns because it messes with the RNG states, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if some games work properly because they see certain values on boot.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 01:59 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 12, 2019, 08:54 PM »
I have a question: does the FDS core have a mapper file associated with it, or is it part of the main firmware file?  I ask because I'd like to try to drop in the updated FDS core from RC4/5 into RC3, which seems to be the most stable for me.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline radel1996

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 13, 2019, 11:53 PM »
I will think to make a rc8 for MMC3 fix for some hardware freezes
(From previous state)
Of course i replaced file with Mapper 04 but later other games with mappers MMC1 and MMC2 won't works

Offline Theta55

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 21, 2019, 03:31 AM »
Wonder if he is working on another beta or a final version. it's been awile.
Im happy right now how it is. Hope for more stuff can fixes.
I think i herd another nes flash cart may come out in the future sometime. Maybe it can run the rest of the games and hacks. IDK about that thou.

Offline michiseiner

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 02, 2019, 11:54 AM »
I know that the N8 can't really be used for things like Final Fantasy speedruns because it messes with the RNG states
Uhh this really triggers my "Everything-has-to-be-exactly-as-the-original-ocd", how/why does it mess with rng states? What other games are impacted by this?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 02, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Any game that relies on uninitialized memory.

The RAM can hold any random values when powering on, and unless the game writes a value to every RAM slot at boot (AKA initializing the RAM), the values will be different every time you play the game. Final Fantasy doesn't initialize RAM and uses an uninitialized RAM slot for seeding its random number generator (RNG). The N8 also needs to use the RAM for the menu where you select what game on the SD card to play. When starting a game on the N8, the RAM will have the exact same values as the N8 menu left it with (since the console is still powered on) and Final Fantasy will get the exact same number to seed its random generator with every time you start it. In other words, Final Fantasy will not be random at all, but predictable.

Final Fantasy speed-runs relies on a certain value in the random generator by power-cycling the game until you get what you want (you can tell by what first random encounter you get I think). Since the number is always the same at every boot on the N8, you might never be able to get it if played on N8. Therefore it can't be used for speed-runs.

In other words, the problem is that the N8 chain-boots games via a menu, which never happens if you have the original cartridge. A solution would be if the N8 could randomize RAM again right before booting a game, to simulate the natural randomness of the RAM in a fresh cold boot.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:24 PM by nuu »