Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 202951 times)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #990 on: June 29, 2019, 04:21 AM »
It doesn’t have anything to do with not having enough space. Less technically enclined peoples keep trying to come up with excuse why it’s not Krikkz’s fault he is not fixing this. He didn’t explicitely say yet that he won’t fix the bugs of this firmware but if he doesn’t, it will be entirely his own decision as people even offered to mail him an affected console and everdrive and from what I understand he ended up refusing. His customers tried for months to figure out what caused the issues and the last finding was that it seemed that it might have to do with everdrive n8 used in conjunction with a famicom to nes adapter (even Krikkz own adapter), but by that time it seem there was no more plan to deal with this firmware.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 04:24 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 30, 2019, 03:21 AM »
At a minimum, the issues I'm experiencing aren't related to a Famicom/NES adapter. Whether other issues, many of which I believe were more file system related, are due to that, I have no idea.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #992 on: June 30, 2019, 06:14 AM »
Truth is, I wouldn’t be surprised if those issues re appear with the new everdrive n8 pro. It is highly unlikely krikkz will code everything from the ground up again and he will most likely build upon his previous code. Another reason why we shouldn’t hold our breath for him open sourcing the old firmware.

Offline OverlordManny

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 06, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Hi All,
I just made an account to post this.

I have an original Famicom that would run the Everdrive N8 on OSv16 fine but not any of the OSv20 RCs. I was getting grey screens when booting nearly all games except for Lagrange Point for some reason, (which ran great... at least in the intro) and a garbled menu when I would do a long reset. My Famicom needed a recap anyway so I went to console5 and got a cap kit and a 78S05 (a 2 amp version of the 7805, the original is 0.5 amp I believe.) Since replacing the caps and the regulator everything is working great on OSv20 rc7. I've tested about 15 games and no grey screen or garbled menu on reset. I didn't even do a full format this time, I just deleted the old EDFS folder and copied over the OSv20 folder.

Hope that helps someone.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 07, 2019, 05:57 PM »
That's interesting. Maybe the OSv20 RCs need our consoles to be in tip top shape to work well  ;D

Hopefully the next N8 will also fix the problem with consoles that have a NESRGB installed where sometimes there is speckling all over the picture, requiring a random number of power resets to clear up.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: July 09, 2019, 06:24 AM »
Hopefully the next N8 will also fix the problem with consoles that have a NESRGB installed where sometimes there is speckling all over the picture, requiring a random number of power resets to clear up.

I'm a bit confused here. I thought it was fixed in V20 since it no longer occurs on AVS like it did with V16. I didn't have the speckling on the AV Famicom or model 2 NES at all. I heard v16 fixed it for some systems, though. Not sure why it's still coming up on some systems. 

Offline Retrothunder

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 09, 2019, 07:51 PM »
Krikzz im seeing that your working the the everdrive N8 Pro would that updated everdive work mapper30

Offline radel1996

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: July 09, 2019, 11:23 PM »
First i wanna to see a fixed 20 OS for MMC3 Games thats how don't have crashes anymore

Offline Mr.Filz

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: July 13, 2019, 09:01 PM »
I have an everdrive n8 famicom style, and a rgb modded AV Famicom. And i still have issues with the white artifacts and lines on screen. Especially with Rockman 5 and 3 or Batman Returns.  The everdrive is loaded with OS 20 rc7. But i had this issue before with 16. Is there a way to fix it?

Offline my2k2zx2

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: July 25, 2019, 05:16 AM »
I took my famicom style n8 with the 60-72 adapter over to a friends house today.  I had left the micro sd with R20v5 by accident, but figured I would try anyway to see what happened.  To my surprise, the thing loaded up and we were able to play without any problems.  The only difference between my 2 front loaders and his front loader was that his lockout chip was disabled with the one pin removed.

Why would this work on with the famicom style and adapter?  We tried it about 50 times and it boots up every time.  Never stuck once on OS INIT or any other error.  Seems that mine and everyone else with the adapter cannot get it to work.  Has anyone else tried disabling the lockout chip and see if that made any difference?

Offline Svin83

• View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: July 25, 2019, 05:19 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks to Krikzz for all the hard work he has put into this.

Thanks a lot  :)

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 25, 2019, 07:07 AM »
Not sure the lockout chip is the issue since the errors happened to me on the official top loading NES using the Famicom N8 with adapter.

The first post from Krikzz recommends RC4 if you have artifacts with other versions.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:09 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline my2k2zx2

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 25, 2019, 11:23 PM »
Ok, I wont open up mine and cut the pin if that might not work.  I wonder why it works in my friend's?  Next time I head over there I'll see if I can get him to trade consoles.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 25, 2019, 11:41 PM »
I don't think it's the lockout chip, either. I've got three front-loaders, and two exhibit issues with RC6, and one doesn't. All of them are unmodified outside of a resistor mod on one.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 27, 2019, 06:32 PM »
It might help locate the cause if anyone with multiple systems that are working/not working can list which motherboard revision is inside each system.