Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 285563 times)

Offline slickrasta

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #1005 on: July 31, 2019, 09:57 AM »
https://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/EDFC-autoboot.zip

Ummm is this a finished v20 update or an update for the new revision of N8 that's coming? That mappers.png is the shocker. I may test this out tonight.

So it does boot and seem to work on my EverDrive N8 + AVS but Reset To Game seems to be stuck on (even if you disable or toggle it) so on my AVS I can't actually get back to the list of games to change the game. The OS version says 20.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:20 AM by slickrasta »

Offline fox1918

• View Profile

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 31, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Really odd that there is a new version added. I wonder what it is. Hopefully a full OS20

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 01, 2019, 09:31 PM »
Autoboot seems to imply something like automatically launching a game without menu interaction.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 01, 2019, 11:27 PM »
I'm guessing it's a version of the N8 firmware designed to boot directly to a game to circumvent some of the issues with games that use the start up state for calculations like Metroid. Neat! Thanks Krikzz!

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 02, 2019, 08:03 PM »
I've tested it and it does in fact auto boot the games and therefore skips the menu. It's a good idea for those who want or need that feature but everyone else should stick with the OS20 betas or OS16.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 03, 2019, 12:13 AM »
Interestingly, though, I can't figure out what changes were made to the mappers, because it didn't seem to match up with V16 or the later V20 releases.

If this keeps memory from being changed on boot, this will be a great boon for the speedrunning community.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:21 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

Offline michiseiner

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 03, 2019, 12:07 PM »
wow that would be awesome, nuu ? did you test this? :)

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 04, 2019, 09:44 AM »
I find it amusing that after all the deserved noise about there not being updates, this one update has not been thoroughly tested by the most vocal members to tell the rest of us what has been fixed/broken.

Did people just lose interest?

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 04, 2019, 04:10 PM »
I think many of us have struggled to find a stable configuration, so updating with no real way to know if it brings any new benefits doesn't seem prudent.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 04, 2019, 09:26 PM »
It takes a minute to backup an earlier system menu folder and copy the new one into the SD card and test it out. Like everyone else I'm too lazy to do that  ;D

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 05, 2019, 03:19 AM »
It takes a minute to backup an earlier system menu folder and copy the new one into the SD card and test it out. Like everyone else I'm too lazy to do that  ;D
But you also need to reformat, copy over the ROMs, and hope that the update takes properly. Just renaming or moving folders and copying in the new OS tends to mess up. I finally have a proper working setup, so I don't plan on changing it unless there's a compelling reason! (RC3 has worked best for me.)

The real best case is having a spare SD card to check it out, honestly.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 05, 2019, 01:14 PM »
Deleting files on the SD card causes fragmentation which the Everdrives may have problems with. But I don't reformat the SD card every time I do small changes like update the OS, only if something stops working (which have yet to happen on any of my Everdrives).

wow that would be awesome, nuu ? did you test this? :)
No I didn't know about it as it's not in the OS directory and no news note on it. It seems to be in the "var" directory on the download page. If it is what people think it is, it's great and one of the things I've wanted on many flashcarts! One thing I like about the Everdrives is that Krikzz listens to his customers! :)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 05, 2019, 04:42 PM »
https://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/EDFC-autoboot.zip
what is it ?

One of forum members working over his own homebrew projects and he ask me to make OS version which skips menu and every time load one single rom. He need it for some tests.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 06, 2019, 08:54 PM »
Very cool. KRIKzz, I'm curious about the new N8 Pro. I'm guessing that you'll be updating some of the mappers and whatnot there. Is there any chance some of those improvements might jump to the original N8?