Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 185117 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #1020 on: August 06, 2019, 09:11 PM »
Very cool. KRIKzz, I'm curious about the new N8 Pro. I'm guessing that you'll be updating some of the mappers and whatnot there. Is there any chance some of those improvements might jump to the original N8?

I going to port whole mapper pack from PRO to original N8. Only ROMs limited by memory size will not work

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 06, 2019, 10:07 PM »
Very cool. KRIKzz, I'm curious about the new N8 Pro. I'm guessing that you'll be updating some of the mappers and whatnot there. Is there any chance some of those improvements might jump to the original N8?

I going to port whole mapper pack from PRO to original N8. Only ROMs limited by memory size will not work
Will the mapper pack be any different to the current OS V20 (other than bug fixes)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 06, 2019, 11:13 PM »
Sounds great! I'm hoping it might resolve some of my issues with the release candidates past RC3. :) Appreciate the update!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 13, 2019, 04:43 PM »
I've tested it and it does in fact auto boot the games and therefore skips the menu. It's a good idea for those who want or need that feature but everyone else should stick with the OS20 betas or OS16.
How do you designate the auto-boot game?  Do you have to name it like "autoexec.nes" or something?  I apologize for not just testing myself, but my NES setup is buried at the moment.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 13, 2019, 05:06 PM »
I've tested it and it does in fact auto boot the games and therefore skips the menu. It's a good idea for those who want or need that feature but everyone else should stick with the OS20 betas or OS16.
How do you designate the auto-boot game?  Do you have to name it like "autoexec.nes" or something?  I apologize for not just testing myself, but my NES setup is buried at the moment.

Once you select any game OS will skip menu and boot selected game every time. To change the game you should boot once from OS v16, it will reset configuration in cart memory.

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: August 13, 2019, 05:24 PM »
Thank you!

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 14, 2019, 12:50 AM »
Hopefully the next N8 will also fix the problem with consoles that have a NESRGB installed where sometimes there is speckling all over the picture, requiring a random number of power resets to clear up.

I have an everdrive n8 famicom style, and a rgb modded AV Famicom. And i still have issues with the white artifacts and lines on screen. Especially with Rockman 5 and 3 or Batman Returns.  The everdrive is loaded with OS 20 rc7. But i had this issue before with 16. Is there a way to fix it?

Little bit off topic but I wanted to reply to these comments as I have some experience of this exact issue myself on my RGB modded AV Famicom and it actually has nothing to do with the N8 itself although it does seem to occur when using it.

The issue is fixed by removing a transistor connected to the composite video line which causes interference. As soon it is removed you wont see it again. It has worked for me and others I have suggested the fix to since.

This post explains it well: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1297501#p1297501

Have a read of the whole thread if you are interested but essentially it was a ton of troubleshooting all sorts of stuff to just finally realise it was just this silly little transistor.

Hope it helps!

Offline gtranche

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: August 27, 2019, 12:08 AM »
Hi,
is there any news about the os20 ?
I have some problemes with it on a PAL Nes front loader, it's always stuck on error 62 or 61, but on my retroduo i have no problems.
I've fallback on the os 16 and everything is working but i would have new mappers ^^'

thank you

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 27, 2019, 07:37 PM »

I really hope someone makes a patch to play the Metal Slader Glory translation on the regular N8, I don't want to have to sell mine and buy the PRO  :( wishing I learned to program back in 20s now. :P
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 27, 2019, 10:17 PM »
Unless someone goes and hacks the game down to fit within 512KB of PRG-ROM, I don't think we'll see it happen. I don't know how much room the translation takes up, or how much space was left in the Japanese ROM to work with, but the patch author doesn't seem interested in trying to squeeze the game down to that size, if it's even possible.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 27, 2019, 11:15 PM »
Unless someone goes and hacks the game down to fit within 512KB of PRG-ROM, I don't think we'll see it happen. I don't know how much room the translation takes up, or how much space was left in the Japanese ROM to work with, but the patch author doesn't seem interested in trying to squeeze the game down to that size, if it's even possible.

Yeah, I read the author's post on RDHN's forums, I was disappointed to say the least. The worse part is his translation is not open source so no one can attempt to shrink down the translation and the author himself won't do it, so cutting the rom in half, if that would even work, would likely be the only way. Unless, someone else decides to translate it?

I've been trying to play it on NES emulators made for consoles, but the mapper doesn't work on the ones I tried. Any suggestions for this? the idea is to not have to play it on a PC.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 18, 2019, 04:50 PM »
It would be great if the next OS update includes the mapper for the Konami QTa Adapter, which was recently released for FCE Ultra by cah4e3 along with dumps of some of the Space School game ROMs.

These are educational games but they have the Konami touch including amazing soundtracks and graphics, as well as fun stories tying the lessons together.

Sample: https://youtu.be/eiJLYIFe5-U
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:57 PM by fernan1234 »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 20, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Yes VRC5 would be great! But it looks like VRC5 mapper assignment isn't finalized yet so it's still a bit early. NES 2.0 rom support would also be great.