Author Topic: 2.5 core grafx issue  (Read 285 times)

Offline hypochondriac

• View Profile
2.5 core grafx issue
« on: May 15, 2018, 06:56 PM »
OK so I got this in the post today from retro towers. Formatted the SD card and put the OS onto the card. I can boot splatterhouse but the graphics are messed up and it freezes shortly after loading. It then manages to delete the OS so it then gives me error 38 until I put the SD back in my computer and put it back on again. Any help is much appreciated.

Offline hypochondriac

• View Profile
Re: 2.5 core grafx issue
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:35 PM »
So I was using the Japanese power lead with a step down converter so I can use it in the UK and I'm guessing that's the reason. I tried to use my pal jaguar power cable and it worked for a little bit longer but still a few glitches and locks up on me.

I'm waiting for this power cable

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/products/power-supply-for-nec-pc-engine-coregrafx-1-2

Do you think it is likely this will solve the problem?

Offline hypochondriac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:10 AM »
Little update. Sometimes a game will play for a tiny bit but all the colours are screwed up and then it freezes. Quite often this will mean the sd card becomes unusable until I copy the correct files over again from my pc. Folders on the root of the card are often  not showing up and when they do only a few of the games in a folder display and the rest is just a garbled mess. I've tried three different micro sd cards and had the same result. What is the most likely cause? Should I be looking to return the card?

Offline hypochondriac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:02 PM »
In case anyone can assist, here is two screenshots showing the glitching and the garbled menu screen. I actually managed to play galaga this morning but that's the only game that has loaded successfully without crashing.

https://ibb.co/iiLCGJ

https://ibb.co/dKXRbJ

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:42 AM »
I had the exact same issues with two different v2.5's from two different authorized vendors on two different PC Engines, trying out different configurations of cables and AC adapters.

So many people having similar problems. I am starting to think there is something wrong with the 2.5 line and may end up needing a recall.

Offline hypochondriac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I had the exact same issues with two different v2.5's from two different authorized vendors on two different PC Engines, trying out different configurations of cables and AC adapters.

So many people having similar problems. I am starting to think there is something wrong with the 2.5 line and may end up needing a recall.

I wish I had another pc engine to test it on. I just found it odd that the OS menu itself was all garbled before I even loaded any games. Maybe I will have to return it and get one directly from krikzz if no one has a solution.

Offline NeoMK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:54 PM »
I agree - I think also think there is something wrong with the TBED 2.5 line and any form of RGB mod. It's especially annoying is that the EXT Bus RGB cable (see fiddle_se cable) also makes no difference.

Your issue with the games is exactly the same experience I had with a white PCE plus RGB mod. Galaga 88 OK, but most other games have some form of graphic corruption - including the random menu display issues that alter every time you skip pages. I may also have the Jailbar fix to confuse matters, but don't think I have the regional mod which I lot of people claim this is definitely a problem. SD cards seem to make no difference to me and cleaning the contacts had no affect.

We really need a further technical investigation and a new TBED revision. I get the feeling Krikzz is aware there maybe a problem as he has offered to swap v2.5 cards - subject to the fault being found and a new TBED reversion being released. However, there is no telling how long it will be before this occurs as I am not even sure if he will look into the issue once he has finish his current Everdrive N8 project. 

Highly frustrating as I am sure many people only invested in a PC Engine because the TBED existed.

Offline hypochondriac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 12:56 PM »
I agree - I think also think there is something wrong with the TBED 2.5 line and any form of RGB mod. It's especially annoying is that the EXT Bus RGB cable (see fiddle_se cable) also makes no difference.

Your issue with the games is exactly the same experience I had with a white PCE plus RGB mod. Galaga 88 OK, but most other games have some form of graphic corruption - including the random menu display issues that alter every time you skip pages. I may also have the Jailbar fix to confuse matters, but don't think I have the regional mod which I lot of people claim this is definitely a problem. SD cards seem to make no difference to me and cleaning the contacts had no affect.

We really need a further technical investigation and a new TBED revision. I get the feeling Krikzz is aware there maybe a problem as he has offered to swap v2.5 cards - subject to the fault being found and a new TBED reversion being released. However, there is no telling how long it will be before this occurs as I am not even sure if he will look into the issue once he has finish his current Everdrive N8 project. 

Highly frustrating as I am sure many people only invested in a PC Engine because the TBED existed.

It's good to know mine isn't the only one. I'll be honest that it's the only reason I've bought an everdrive so it's a bit sad that it isn't working. I've actually bought another one and going to return this one and if that doesn't work then I can be sure it's probably a mod of some kind in the pc engine.

Offline hypochondriac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 07:40 PM »
OK so I have a new power supply and the issues remain. I have a second everdrive arriving this week and if that has the same issues then it must be an issue with a mod I have. Can I just reverse the mods with no adverse effects? I feel very down about this I was looking forward to playing these games so much!

Offline hypochondriac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 03:47 PM »
New everdrive has the exact same issues so it must be one of the mods. Such a shame I'll have to decide if I should just return the whole thing.

Online SnoopKatt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 05:38 PM »
New everdrive has the exact same issues so it must be one of the mods. Such a shame I'll have to decide if I should just return the whole thing.

Taking off the mods may not help at all. Some of us have these issues on stock systems outputting composite or RF.

Not sure if anyone agrees but it just seems like the original PC Engine and Coregrafx have poor signal integrity, and I wonder if that's causing the issue. One thing I noticed is using fidde_se's cable, the output on a PC Engine is a little wavy. On the Turbografx 16, it's rock solid. I know that's a video circuit but still.

Offline hypochondriac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 06:02 PM »

Taking off the mods may not help at all. Some of us have these issues on stock systems outputting composite or RF.

Not sure if anyone agrees but it just seems like the original PC Engine and Coregrafx have poor signal integrity, and I wonder if that's causing the issue. One thing I noticed is using fidde_se's cable, the output on a PC Engine is a little wavy. On the Turbografx 16, it's rock solid. I know that's a video circuit but still.

I doubt that would make a difference to the dodgy menu on the pc engine? Question is, should his be something that krikzz should be fixing or is it something that I should be sorting myself?

Online SnoopKatt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Well my point is really more of a broad observation - the old PC Engines just don't seem to be as robust as the newer systems, (2.5 works fine on my Turbografx 16, and everyone else says it works fine on their newer systems). No idea why but that's just what it seems like from what people have been posting. Then again who knows, could just be a vocal minority and it works fine for everyone else lol.

Offline NeoMK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:10 PM »
Perhaps that is the case, but Krikzz doesn't seem to think so. In a recent PM, he has just go a few more units in (presumably white PC Engines - he didn't clarify) for testing. No timescales of course currently. In the meantime, I am testing a theory on board revision. Though not many posts, I have seen a few report that a few people had graphics issue with v2.5 boards but not on v2.4. I have therefore got a v2.4 board on the way for testing on my white PCE. We'll see - you never know.

Offline SamIAm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 06:23 PM »
I've got trouble with v2.3 and my Supergrafx.  :-\