Author Topic: Is it physically impossible to emulate the SA-1 on the SD2NES? [NO!]  (Read 44042 times)

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
Re: Is it physically impossible to emulate the SA-1 on the SD2NES?
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Incredible !

Tell me about it, I can't thank him enough for that huge milestone.  ;D

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 02:20 PM »
this is amazing news. exciting times for sd2snes owners.
 i was already so pleased to see superfx support and now redguy posts this video :)
 it's a good job i'm typing because i'm speechless.

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2018, 03:10 PM »

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2018, 03:19 PM »
So to answer this threads' question;

Apparently it is indeed possible to emulate the SA-1 instruction set on the SD2SNES FPGA by a very experienced software engineer.

Our candy retro ass doesn't deserve this man immense talent and experience,,, and we get it for free.
His contribution is ankle kissing worthy, without feeling less manly for a single second.

Ankle kissing? Im willing to donate! What's his patreon?
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Look at Redguy being the Ace Rimmer of SD2SNES firmware. That's awesome! Did he give any word on the Discord page as to if/when this will be available to the end user? And since there's always concern about how much room is left on the FPGA, did he indicate if this would this require an independent firmware without GSU and other enhancement chips or would it just be added on with the rest no problem?

Offline SteelRush

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Look at Redguy being the Ace Rimmer of SD2SNES firmware. That's awesome! Did he give any word on the Discord page as to if/when this will be available to the end user? And since there's always concern about how much room is left on the FPGA, did he indicate if this would this require an independent firmware without GSU and other enhancement chips or would it just be added on with the rest no problem?

The cores are loaded on demand, so GSU support won’t take away from any other enhancement chip.  When they talk about it fitting, they just mean are there enough logic gates on the FPGA to emulate that particular chip.  It has nothing to do with what’s already supported.

I was one who has been sitting on the sidelines with a Super UFO until either the SuperFX or SA1 was supported.  I just ordered my SD2SNES yesterday, not knowing SA1 is in the works too.  I doubt I am the only one who has been waiting.  I am looking forward to getting mine even more now.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2018, 05:36 PM »
So to answer this threads' question;

Apparently it is indeed possible to emulate the SA-1 instruction set on the SD2SNES FPGA by a very experienced software engineer.

Our candy retro ass doesn't deserve this man immense talent and experience,,, and we get it for free.
His contribution is ankle kissing worthy, without feeling less manly for a single second.

Ankle kissing? Im willing to donate! What's his patreon?

The man deserves a medal, not sure if he has a Patreon though. I'm sure we'll get a chance to help test as we did with the GSU at some point.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2018, 06:01 PM »
I can't figure out how to even use Discord, did red guy describe his approach or anything like that?  Would be nice to hear his story.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2018, 06:18 PM »
I can't figure out how to even use Discord,

Same here. I got on there once to see if there were any SD2SNES or Super NT updates and it just looked like a confusing mess to me.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2018, 06:20 PM »

Same here. I got on there once to see if there were any SD2SNES or Super NT updates and it just looked like a confusing mess to me.
Updates require no more than placing files on the SD card root.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2018, 06:30 PM »

No, you're completely misunderstanding me. I'm saying trying to make heads or tails of Discord is a confusing mess. I have no idea how to use it or find anything on there.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2018, 07:40 PM »

No, you're completely misunderstanding me. I'm saying trying to make heads or tails of Discord is a confusing mess. I have no idea how to use it or find anything on there.

Oh that, it's not a bad as it looks

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2018, 08:41 PM »
If the main discussion about the progress, updates, etc. will be in Discord, would someone mind linking to the discord server where updates are being posted?  I have a discord account, but yeah, discord is horrible if you are trying to search for something.  If given a direct link, it works fine.  But if you don't have that direct link, forget about finding anything on discord.

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Redguy does it again. I'd gladly throw him some cash for this. Wish he posted more updates here than Discord.

I love just how redguy shut down so  many negative nancies and ignorant naysayers around here that insisted SA-1 wasn't possible on the sd2snes by simply posting a video. Goooooo redguyyy!!!!
Pretty sure it was only one or two people here saying it wasn't possible. More of the know-how on how to develop the chip than physical limitations. It's safe to say we're all really glad Redguy took on this project.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:42 PM by OneBagTravel »
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2018, 09:07 PM »
https://discord.gg/CuCGbP

Nice people are welcome.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.