Author Topic: F-Zero X Climax, a new F-Zero X on Nintendo 64  (Read 14251 times)

Offline Brod

• View Profile
F-Zero X Climax, a new F-Zero X on Nintendo 64
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Now there is a "new" game on Nintendo 64 !

This is the first modded game with all the graphics changed that can operate directly on Nintendo 64 and emulators.

Yes it's a new F-Zero X, certainly one of the most accessible game for such a spot on N64. It took me one year, like 6 to 8 hours a day to create that mod, it's serious work. I'll explain why it took me so long later.

I chosed to use F-Zero Climax as an inspiration, the last episode of the serie, released only in Japan on GBA to create my mod.

On this new F-Zero X mod I remade each of the 24 F-Zero X tracks , they're all from the 54 you can play on F-Zero Climax but I made very large changes, including 3D, absent on the GBA version, but some tracks remain flat. One of my first goal was to make those track to be championship friendly.

The computer is very fast on most tracks, some are a challenge, even for advanced players, in fact ! I have tried to reduce CPUs speed but it's still hard, beginners will have to learn how to slide ( max acceleration guys, with bad grip machines ) or at least use the good settings with jumper machines and use ZZ / RR cornering control properly not to slip and keep speed. Like many games it takes a little time to enjoy it.

I tried to respect the original circuits by placing arrows, ice and dirt in the same places, but as the tracks are much longer, the circuits on F-Zero Climax are very short and machines fast, all with design and handling that would be very ill-suited to F-Zero X  so I didn't even try to create tracks with the original size but long tracks, they're also much longer than the F-Zero X tracks with more arrows and jump plates here and there to reduce the feeling of emptiness and length of some sections and to increase fun of course !

Modding F-Zero X textures was the thing that really motivated me to create that mod for the 15th anniversary of F-Zero -X, modding the circuits was done long ago, I shared myself several packs of tracks but I wanted this one to be really special. I prefer playing my favorite game on console so when I discovered Tilemolester + Gedecompress and that it's possible to change so many GFX in n64 roms including F-Zero X I decided to create F-Zero X Climax, I worked a full year, around eight hours a day to create this mod. After a year of intense hard research to successfully find and change a maximum of textures, pictures and texts, after dealing with a lot of problems to properly modified the game textures, I finally made it.

I didn 't find any "tricks" to make the compressed files work faster, sometimes it took an hour or more to make a single change work in the game, there are 433 compressed files in the game, I' ve changed 190 of them but that's 6.5 mo of  7 mo when the files are uncompressed, the remaining files are only characters or texts. Edit these would have been possible, but I found myself faced with an obvious problem that you find at first sight,  on many images below little dash or parasites colors, that happen with the compressed files, it's possible to remove them but that's what I can call a miracle, that's why you''ll see many of them, on the menus mainly but also on the credits, however, after so many hours of attempt I managed to remove some of them, not as much as I wanted too, in fact it's very random, as I said I didn't find how to make that work perfectly. Now imagine a dash under each caracter of a long word and you will understand why I dropped those compressed files it would have been very ugly plus the smaller files are the harder to mod. ave been very ugly, I decided to focus on tracks textures and tried so many things.

I now really understand why Nintendo was limited with the graphics on F-Zero X, that graphic style that also appears to be responsible for the non-success of the game at the time, for what I made with F-Zero Climax X, you can judge, remember it is very difficult to make a texture that makes it as well when the track is 10 meters or 200 meters wide knowing that I worked on a 64x32 pixel texture base.

When I started to create my first custom textures last year I noticed stat strange parasite colors visible on many images or textures, the other big problems was to create textures without  those parasite, after a while I figured out how to do but it takes a lot of time (you need work the textures in negative to avoid parasites) so in addition of the few I made I used textures ( not emu dumps, unusable, parasite everywhere, I even tried some wipeout textures, so ugly on fzx with the parasites) that I could find and dump in other n64 games that has the same graphic properties that has F-Zero X , I extracted compressed files of many games to look for appropriate textures for FZX, sometimes I just cut and paste the texture from a rom to fzx,sometimes I completly reworked some of them, sometimes I changes things on them or even use textures for their colors. Why using textures from another n64games, mainly to avoid all those parasites, it was faster than create original ones ( I won't be ready for the 15th anniversar and I didn't want to spend more than one year on the mod ), I had a large choice at the beginning but after many attempt no so much, I've seen weird things during those, only a few kind of textures look "good"  on F-Zero X, I tried the best I could with what I have and my own textures. You may recognise some of those n64 textures dumped textures by the way !

Parasites :

The two patchs are for the US and JPN rom of the game, remember you must have a real F-Zero X cart or have it on wii to play the F-Zero X roms : )

The japanese version is usable with the Expansion kit on the 64DD, for those who have an Everdrive/64drive/ED64plus/Dr Jr v64 in addition, you can use new textures in it to create your own retextured custom tracks and save the track to your kit.

Edition of the textures with Tile Molester and Gedecompress.

Tracks patched with the Fzep level editor.

I spend so much time on this, if you like F-Zero Climax, get more information on the F-Zero X official site and eventually you can donate there :

http://fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=13715

Thank you to Subdrag, BGNG, Nintendo and tadashi sugiyama without them F-Zero Climax X  would not have existed.

Mr. Myamoto it's time to release a new F-Zero ! Find ideas and If you can't find some, ask people !

Thank you to BFrancois and emulation64, F-Zero Central and its users, my Youtube subscribers and my family.

The link to F-Zero X climax Patches : 

http://www.emulation64.fr/?page=download&id=256

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: F-Zero X Climax, a new F-Zero X on Nintendo 64
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 01:06 AM »
this looks excellent, thanks for the info :)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I should let you know that it's not the *first* custom ROM that has ever worked on an N64. Goldeneye X is a mod for Perfect Dark that brings all assets from Goldeneye onto Perfect Dark's engine and it works on the N64. There's also many custom levels for GE and PD that run on real hardware, and there is a lot of Zelda OOT and Banjo Kazooie hacks out there that work, too. To my knowledge, Super Mario 64 hacks (more specifically, the ones with custom levels, some of their texture hacks work fine) are the only ones that don't work on the real hardware, and it's not the ED64's fault but the developer of the ROM hack, but that's not a priority in the SM64 hacking community yet so we might not be seeing those for some time.

Offline Brod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Thank you but Goldeneye X is a multiplayer mod only, did you see the textures in the solo levels and its unmodded maps ?

F-Zero X Climax has all levels modded, I mean all the maps and the textures, I changed the endings pics of each pilots, menus, hud and everything I could in the game, besides some texts stock in compressed files everything is changed. The modded textures are not from a game that look like F-Zero ( Goldeneye to perfect dark ) but new ones and some resized pictures from the F-zero anime.

I love Goldeneye X, I had such fun playing it with my son on n64 but it's different, it's not a complete mod of the original game.

With all the time I spend on my mod I didn't find the time to try the editor of Goldeneye or perfect dark, I'm not sure it's possible to import any texture in the games. So people who create custom maps on GE or PD use an editor, just like I did with the maps on F-Zero X, nothing special about that beside that it's so great to change the maps of the game we love,  we're just using a tool to create custom maps playable on the n64 hardware, many F-Zero X map packs exist as well.

Anyway the method is not the same, I changed the textures, pictures, texts in F-Zero X by extracting, modify and re inject the compressed files and change all uncompressed GFX I could find in the F-Zero X rom. So this is different, full ( or almost ) and new.

The super Mario hacks doesn't work on the n64 hardware, that too bad, I would love to play Skelux's Missing Stars mod on my n64 ! Those Mario mods use mostly textures from the regular Mario 64 I think. It seems to work fine on emu but has big cameras problems. Make the Mario mods run on n64 has to be difficult that's may be why developers give up on it.

" a lot of Zelda OOT and Banjo Kazooie hacks out there that work, too "

How could I miss that ? full modded banjo kazzoie hacks with new maps, textures and run on real n64 hardware do exist ???

Link please !

Same with OOT, full custom maps and textures on a single rom that run on n64, I don't think so.

.. I may be wrong, link pease !
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:19 PM by Brod »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32 PM »
Wow this looks *fantastic*, I can't wait to try this when I get home.

Thanks so much for all of your hard work, F-Zero X is a classic, and this can only increase the game's brilliance for us fans.

Offline Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25 AM »
snip
Just google Banjo Kazooie custom levels. And I never said that SM64 custom campaigns worked either.

Offline Brod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:23 PM »
I didn't know about a Banjo Kazzoie Level editor when I first read your reply so I checked later and that Banjo Backpack level editor is awesome, I played Snow Glow Village on my console it looks good however this is very early and didn't find complete mod of banjo kazzoie just a few custom levels. Also, I think it's possible to edit textures but not to import them at the moment and most may be all textures on the custom levels already made are from the game anyway, as I said all textures are modded in F-Zero X Climax, again this wasn't done with a level editor only ( I used one to make the 24 custom tracks of the pack ) but with tile molester and Gedecompress to change the change the textures/texts inside the rom.

That's why F-Zero X Climax is the first of its kind on Nintendo 64. First n64 hack with full textures and levels modded.

I don't think you can prove me wrong but you can try again, you're welcome, I didn't know about the Banjo Backpack and that was a sweet info  :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:26 PM by Brod »

Offline Sogun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Good work!! Having new tracks on racing games is very good news.

I don't think the "first one ever" thing matters. This is an amazing project anyway, and even more knowing it was done by one person.

As for GoldenEye / Perfect Dark hacking (which I'm part of), you can change EVERYTHING in the games except new enemie models and custom animations. That means:
-custom textures
-custom level design
-custom weapons
-custom music
-custom textures for enemies (new faces and outfits)

The reason why most of GE/PD hacking are reused levels with new setups it's because you need modeling skills, a lot of patience and a lot of time to create something 100% new. You can search for goldeneyevault.com and shootersforevers forums and see what the hacking scene has achieved.

There will be a 100% hacked roms for GE and PD in the future. We have been working on them for quite time now. ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:03 PM by Sogun »

Offline Brod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 12:00 AM »
"Good work!! " " This is an amazing project anyway, and even more knowing it was done by one person."

Thank you very much !

"I don't think the "first one ever" thing matters"

I do but it's just my opinion. Only a very few people care about F-Zero X and will notice anyway.

"Having new tracks on racing games is very good news. "

The F-Zero X Fzep level editor has been released to the public in 2006, modding the tracks is old news with F-Zero X. Many full custom tracks packs have already been released. I wanted this one to be different.

Modding all the compressed textures of a n64 game using Subdrag's Gedecompress is the "new" thing, modding compressed textures wasn't done with a specific editor for the game but with tile molester, same for the rest of the uncompressed textures in the rom, tile molester so it's not the same method anyway. It seems possible to do that with all the game on the Gedecompress list and I hope people will do, I can't wait !

Combine this and all the maps of the game customised and it's a first, not just a F-Zero X first but a first with a n64 game. A guy says it isn't, I say it is, that it.

Anyway the Goldeneye / Perfect Dark editor looks really good, it's great that you can import or create texture and use them as they look when the game is running, I had this "parasite" problems with tile molester when creating textures that was very annoying and difficult to deal with or manipulate.

You can do so much things with that editor, all in one, I would love to change the music in F-Zero X too. I managed to change the 3D models of the machines but it's limited and it's difficult to get something good, I didn't want to use that for F-Zero X Climax, I'll work on it later.

"The reason why most of GE/PD hacking are reused levels with new setups it's because you need modeling skills, a lot of patience and a lot of time to create something 100% new. " I can understand that, unlike F-Zero X Goldeneye levels weren't meant to be customized, with many things to set and some limitations to deal with it's way harder to create a good custom level on GE than create a "simple" custom track on F-Zero X. It has to take a long time bo be perfected. As you said that must be the reason why no full mod at the moment. I can't wait.

Offline Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 12:40 AM »
I don't think you can prove me wrong but you can try again, you're welcome, I didn't know about the Banjo Backpack and that was a sweet info  :D
I'm not trying to "prove you wrong" or cut you down or anything if that's how you took it, so I'm not sure where your hostility comes from. I was just trying to let you know, that is all. Snow Glow village also isn't the only level out there for BB and it is using custom textures, not stock ones. I would know this, considering that I am part of the BK community.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CiwJnNQd4k here's just a snip of a campaign that I've played on my N64.
But, whatever. Listen if you want, or don't, it doesn't affect me. Good luck on your future ROM hacks.

Offline Brod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 03:22 AM »
"I'm not trying to "prove you wrong""

Sorry with my limited english, I said it's a first, you said it's not, I though it was appropriate to wrote this.

"I'm not sure where your hostility comes from"

No hostility, there's even a smiley on my last reply, you just wanted to let me know that it's not the *first* custom ROM that has ever worked on an N64, yes, I know, obviously, after sharing like 6 or 7 F-Zero X packs full of custom tracks only, beginning in 2006, but that's not what I said, I just said that ALL the maps and ALL the textures in the game are modded and no other n64 hack that operate on a real hardware at the moment can say the same so definitively, a first. And when the first full textures/levels Banjo Kazzoie Hack and the first full textures/levels Goldeneye or perfect Dark hack will be release to the public this will be different because the textures parts will be made and insert with a specific editor, not by modding and insert each compressed files and each texts/HUDs/textures in the rom one by one. You can't deny that.

" Listen if you want, or don't, it doesn't affect me "

Oh you say that to me ? you don't even listen yourself, you proved it.

"Snow Glow village also isn't the only level out there for BB and it is using custom textures, not stock ones"

They' re close to the original style so I didn't notice, the enemies/huds remain the same I think.

I watched your two test maps, I've seen the custom textures you've made and I have to congratulate you, this is looking good ! I look further to the finished product, same here, good luck on your hack !

Quite frankly I love banjo Kazzoie and I can't wait for FULL mod of the game with just a patch to use on a regular BK rom, with all levels modded at least, full texture mod will be a sweet "bonus" however, it has to be a huge work to make a full good looking texture mod of BK.

Offline Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 05:36 AM »
I apologize, I do agree that there may be a language barrier here (I'm actually pretty limited with my English as well, it's my 3rd language) so things could have gotten mixed up. I probably could have explained what I was trying to say better, too. Thanks for the luck, too, I think I will need it.  :)

Offline Brod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 02:55 AM »
I made videos of each cup using the Blue Falcon on my n64 with an Everdrive :

The Bronze Cup :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vaa-Ii65fvQ

The Silver Cup :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlFjTZU0gjY

The Gold Cup :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBYLw6n4TJc

The Platinum Cup :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNDCKVQm7vo

This video by jimmy130 shows some of the Expansion Kit features, including english texts in the machine editor and new marks :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-g4ot7b6F8
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:09 AM by Brod »

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 03:15 AM »
congratulations for the hack.

i hope we will see more texture replacement hacks like zeldas being done on emulators (not hi-res of course).

SM64 would be great.

BTW i would like to thank to both Krikzz and Marshall for the N64 cartridges which make us play these beauties in original hardware (and without messing with legacy hardwares etc). if it wasn't for them, we would still play these on inaccurate emulators.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:16 AM by reprep »
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 07:02 PM »
is it possible that Everdrive 64 supports 64DD like to Everdrive N8 supports FDS?  :)