Author Topic: Using NTSC Save Files with PAL rom  (Read 6215 times)

Offline GrandeGuerrero

• View Profile
Using NTSC Save Files with PAL rom
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:31 AM »
First let me start by saying, the Everdrive 64 is quit possibly the best purchase I've EVER made. It's godly...

Question, Is it possible to use NTSC save files, with the PAL equivalent rom? I have tried a couple games without success, is there a sure-fire way to get this working or is it not possible?

:o

Offline kogumelow

• View Profile
Re: Using NTSC Save Files with PAL rom
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:46 AM »
I am not totally sure but I think the save formats don't change between regions, are you sure you naming witth the same name and putting in the SAVE folder.

If you are using OS 1.29 be sure to follow this: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=764.0

Offline GrandeGuerrero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply kogumelow, I have already installed the OS etc correctly and the file setup.

Just tried downloading a smash bros (US) save file, and changed file name etc to use with my PAL rom, and didnt work  :'(

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:20 PM »
i believe some save files from emulators wont work with flash carts, aint gotta clue why, i think there is a tool that can convert them, where did you get the save file from and i will test it on my setup, also why play the pal version? have you tested it with a ntsc rom?
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline kogumelow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 04:46 PM »
The softaware you are talking about may convert saves formats like SRAM to EEP4K or something like that? Also if I turn off my game without saving I will lose only my new progress or I may lose all my save data?

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:08 PM »
make sure after any game progress to press the reset button to go back to the OS menu before turning off the console, you will never lose any save data

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:13 PM »
It's not necessarily possible that even a pal savegame works on every pal rom.
the internal game-version could use a different format too, so have a try and good luck. ^^

Offline GrandeGuerrero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:49 AM »
i believe some save files from emulators wont work with flash carts, aint gotta clue why, i think there is a tool that can convert them, where did you get the save file from and i will test it on my setup, also why play the pal version? have you tested it with a ntsc rom?

I pretty much just googled the save for Goldeneye 007, could only find NTSC saves. (please let me know if there is a good place to get PAL saves). I play the PAL version, because the NTSC roms dont work flawlessy on my tv.

(I'm in Aus, with a PAL console and correct cables)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:14 AM »

I pretty much just googled the save for Goldeneye 007, could only find NTSC saves. (please let me know if there is a good place to get PAL saves). I play the PAL version, because the NTSC roms dont work flawlessy on my tv.

does the M-PAL mode work with your TV set? it works with mine i play NTSC roms on PAL setup and im in the UK :)

Offline GrandeGuerrero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:53 AM »

does the M-PAL mode work with your TV set? it works with mine i play NTSC roms on PAL setup and im in the UK :)

Hmmm M-PAL still came up funny on the TV set in my room, tried it with a different TV in the house and it seemed to work...... Looks like im replacing my staple TV set  8)

What's the difference between M-PAL and PAL?

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:18 AM »
It's used only in Brazil with the NUS-001(BRA) N64 and otherwise it makes no sense to play with that option.

Wikipedia:
PAL-M signals are identical to North American NTSC signals, except for the encoding of the colour carrier. Therefore PAL-M will display in monochrome with sound on an NTSC set and vice versa.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:23 AM by saturnu »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 04:43 PM »
M-PAL option is a god send it works for me in the UK on all my TV sets, without it all id get is horrible greyscale  :o

Offline kogumelow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Well, I have an original M-PAL 64 and a everdrive with the correct options on my tv, and the menu get really funny like it's bliking, but in most games it turns out great (some games like pokemon statium gets funny)