Author Topic: It IS physically possible to emulate the SA-1 on the SD2NES!  (Read 20095 times)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Re: It IS physically possible to emulate the SA-1 on the SD2NES?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 02:59 AM »
In the discordapp discussion about Sd2snes someone is also talking about S-DD1. I didn't understand if someone is implementing also this chip or if it is only a discussion about chip structure. Someone that is accessing more deeply that discussion can help me to understand? Thank you.

I'd rather just SA-1 be implemented before S-DD1, just saying.  S-DD1 is what, only used for two games?
And 1 of those games has already been patched out so you can play it on the SD2SNES.

There is also a recently discovered prototype for SFA2 which does not use SDD-1. It's buggy but someone may fix it someday. And like everyone else has already said, it's the worst port of the game anyways.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 03:04 AM »
Here's a small status update.

Hi Redguy

Since you won't take our money, then please accept my most sincere thanks. It is a rare occasion to see someone so capable do so much for free. This is how the gaming community is built and kept alive, and what makes it so awesome. I wish I could do my part but alas I don't have the skills, nor the time to learn them, so all I have is a little money to support projects from time to time.

Once again thank you for your awesomeness. I hope your deeds inspire other capable men to chime in and leave their footprint as well.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline hex12

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 09:38 AM »
In the discordapp discussion about Sd2snes someone is also talking about S-DD1. I didn't understand if someone is implementing also this chip or if it is only a discussion about chip structure. Someone that is accessing more deeply that discussion can help me to understand? Thank you.

I'd rather just SA-1 be implemented before S-DD1, just saying.  S-DD1 is what, only used for two games?
And 1 of those games has already been patched out so you can play it on the SD2SNES.

There is also a recently discovered prototype for SFA2 which does not use SDD-1. It's buggy but someone may fix it someday. And like everyone else has already said, it's the worst port of the game anyways.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding: I am not asking to implement that chip, i was only asking if the mention of the chip in discordapp's discussion was because of technical discussion or because someone was trying to implement also this chip because reading the discussion i could not understand.
I don't mind if it is implemented or not, i don't play the two games using the chip, it was only for this purpose.
The only chip i really am waiting anxyously is SA-1 that RedGuy is working on and for which he really deserves a monument to skill
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:40 AM by hex12 »

Offline justindarc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59 PM »

I can't seem to find the Discord server you're referring to. Can someone point me towards it?

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 08:57 PM »
I can't seem to find the Discord server you're referring to. Can someone point me towards it?
From page 3
This one is permanent:
https://discord.gg/EX57xnF
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline justindarc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 09:26 PM »
From page 3
This one is permanent:
https://discord.gg/EX57xnF

Thank you!

Offline BRNexus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 12:45 AM »
I just say implement the SA1 features that supports the most popular SA-1 games.  Basically the games you already have running.   If you can also support other games as well, cool, but I think people will just be happy with Super Mario RPG and the Kirby games working.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 05:16 AM »

Is sa1 being worked on?
- Yes.

Is it going to fit?
- Maybe.  We won't know until it's further along.

Is msu going to fit?
- Assume no, but we won't know until it's done.  It doesn't fit right now.

What about supporting multiple files with different features?
- I'm not interested in supporting this, but the code will have #defines for those who want to compile a version for themselves.

What currently works?
- smrpg has been played through to the end.
- kirby super star has several hours on it.
- super mario legacy and the other sa1 smw hacks are playable.
- Most other games boot, but have limited testing.
- A small set of hacks and games don't work at all.
- All games have bugs.

Will there be a beta?
- Yes.

When will the beta be released?

When will it be done?

Most of the sa1 features are implemented, but it's difficult to fit both the debugging code and all the features at the same time.  The debugging code is a huge help for fixing bugs.  I'm currently rewriting major parts to both free up some space and also fix slowdowns.

Thanks great update, didn't know you would reply so soon :)

Offline Kobras

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 08:09 AM »
I just say implement the SA1 features that supports the most popular SA-1 games.  Basically the games you already have running.   If you can also support other games as well, cool, but I think people will just be happy with Super Mario RPG and the Kirby games working.
Don't forget Dragon ball Z Hyper Dimension  ;D

Offline FrenchyToasty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 11:57 PM »

Is sa1 being worked on?
- Yes.

Is it going to fit?

Is msu going to fit?

- I'm not interested in supporting this, but the code will have #defines for those who want to compile a version for themselves.

What currently works?
- All games have bugs.

Will there be a beta?
- Yes.

When will it be done?

Most of the sa1 features are implemented, but it's difficult to fit both the debugging code and all the features at the same time.  The debugging code is a huge help for fixing bugs.  I'm currently rewriting major parts to both free up some space and also fix slowdowns.

Has this guy been given the bounty for Super FX yet? and OMG SA-1! RedGuy you sir are the man!

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 05:35 PM »
Yes, the bounty was settled.
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7451.msg61738#msg61738

That's one helluva show of integrity, mad props to Redguy  8)

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2018, 01:25 AM »

Is sa1 being worked on?
- Yes.

Is it going to fit?

Is msu going to fit?

What currently works?
- All games have bugs.

Will there be a beta?
- Yes.

When will it be done?

Has this guy been given the bounty for Super FX yet? and OMG SA-1! RedGuy you sir are the man!

If I ever met him, I'll offer him a box of cookies. The good ones.

Offline justindarc

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 05:49 AM »
Watching SmokeMonster's live stream on twitch.tv right now showing off RedGuy's WIP SA-1 core. WOW.

Just wanted to post a YUGE thank you to RedGuy here for his outstanding effort in getting this core to a truly impressive state in such a short time.

THANK YOU, REDGUY!!!!

(also, thanks again to SmokeMonster for demonstrating this amazing core for us tonight!!)

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 06:13 AM »
Watching SmokeMonster's live stream on twitch.tv right now showing off RedGuy's WIP SA-1 core. WOW.

Just wanted to post a YUGE thank you to RedGuy here for his outstanding effort in getting this core to a truly impressive state in such a short time.

THANK YOU, REDGUY!!!!

(also, thanks again to SmokeMonster for demonstrating this amazing core for us tonight!!)

He's stated that Super Mario RPG is apparently playable through the entire game, and doesn't lock up at the level up screen (at least I think that's what happened), so yeah, crazy
good progress  ;D