Author Topic: sa1 support [work in progress]  (Read 53121 times)

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
Re: sa1 support [work in progress]
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2018, 12:20 PM »
The decompressed SF Alpha 2 version for emulators without SDD1 support doesn't work with the SD2SNES indeed. It was already discussed in this thread:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6712.0

I looked at the patch and it isn't a real patch to make the game itself use decompressed graphics but rather the emulator. It contains directives for canoe-shvc to supply decompressed information from the extended ROM area instead of decompressing the data itself. The start of each compressed data block in the ROM is patched with "SDD1"+a 32-bit offset into the pre-decompressed graphics block.
So this works very much like the early decompressed graphics packs used by emulators before actual S-DD1 decompression was figured out. Sadly it isn't anything that can run on actual SNES hardware.

However using the information from the IPS patch + decompressed graphics pack it might be easier to hack the ROM to use the decompressed assets simply by pointing the DMA source address to the address referenced by the "SDD1 chunk" instead of the original ROM address.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2018, 02:59 AM »
Is S-DD1 going to be in the official build, no pre-releases?  Been waiting for an update on that although it is just for two games.
Don't count on it.
does anyone know if work is being done on fixing kirby super stars graphical glitches? They arent that bad and the game is totally playable I was just wondering.
It happens on a real Kirby Super Star cart too, although less bad and less often, so it's not the game. IIRC, it has to do with SD2SNES and PPU timings or something of that nature and the revision of the console(?). Super Mario World, Star Ocean, and Chrono Trigger, exhibit similar problems. Ikari_01 and Redguy did mention a fix for it, but I don't remember what the progress of that was. In the mean time, if it's that bad, just reset the console and may go away. Multiple resets work best, from what I've heard.

S-DD1 games can be patched to no longer need the chip, so it's kind of moot.
You can't be serious.....

Produce evidence of Street fighter Alpha 2 being patched. Otherwise, your credibilty is shot.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:03 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline galvatron1983

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2018, 12:06 PM »
He cant, hes referring to ROMs of SFA2 that have been patched to run on emulators, such as Canoe on the Snes Classic Mini. Theres no such patch for it for work on a real SNES via SD2SNES.

Ergo, we still need SDD1 support.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2018, 03:30 PM »
He cant, hes referring to ROMs of SFA2 that have been patched to run on emulators, such as Canoe on the Snes Classic Mini. Theres no such patch for it for work on a real SNES via SD2SNES.

Exactly. I don't even know why he comes in and continues to beat this dead horse, as we've explained this to him numerous times.

Since Redguy is done with SA-1, can we lock this thread please?
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2018, 03:52 PM »
You can't be serious.....

Produce evidence of Street fighter Alpha 2 being patched. Otherwise, your credibilty is shot.

Exactly. I don't even know why he comes in and continues to beat this dead horse, as we've explained this to him numerous times.

It's pretty impressive that the_randomizer has a reputation for derailing threads on a forum of about 100-200 Retro gaming FPGA enthusiasts.
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2018, 06:50 PM »

Is it confirmed Redguy is done with SA-1? Haven’t seen that posted anywhere

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Is it confirmed Redguy is done with SA-1? Haven’t seen that posted anywhere

I'll leave it to either Ikari or Redguy to announce it officially.

can we lock this thread please?
Since the original purpose of this thread was mainly SA-1 and it got derailed to something else and further ensuing chaos, yes.