Author Topic: Is it physically impossible to emulate the Super Gameboy on the SD2SNES?  (Read 11523 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
What ikari_01 is saying is that the NES can pull off some cheap tricks thanks to its pecular design, which most other systems using video RAM can't. The NES has video ROM/RAM on cartridge (like Neo Geo), while the SNES only has video RAM inside the console, and that means you can't just change it like you can with hardware on the cartridge.

Porting NES games to SNES isn't a big deal. The CPU is backwards compatible and the SNES is similar enough to the NES and much more powerful that most things can probably be ported over easilly, especially simple games like Donkey Kong and Burger Time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:57 AM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
What ikari_01 is saying is that the NES can pull off some cheap tricks thanks to its pecular design, which most other systems using video RAM can't. The NES has video ROM/RAM on cartridge (like Neo Geo), while the SNES only has video RAM inside the console, and that means you can't just change it like you can with hardware on the cartridge.

Porting NES games to SNES isn't a big deal. The CPU is backwards compatible and the SNES is similar enough to the NES and much more powerful that most things can probably be ported over easilly, especially simple games like Donkey Kong and Burger Time.

Indeed though some have graphical glitches its still quite ground breaking especially if you take into account on the year it was made. It's always fun to go back to those good old days when Trainers were made before rom patches exist these days xD
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Those game ports are interesting, but the ones I messed around with seemed to lack any sound/music.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Those game ports are interesting, but the ones I messed around with seemed to lack any sound/music.

A lot do, infact its a miracle if Burger Time wont freeze just after playing it yet the generic music will loop. It likely worked better on an emulator as a lot of Trainers have issues working on a real hardware SNES... speaking of abnormality did the SD2 SNES ever rectify the issue where Actraiser 2 on either the USA/PAL version kept crashing after selecting a world while the Japan one worked fine?
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
Yes it is impossible. It will never happen not without a serious hardware revision. The FPGA in the SD2SNES would have to be powerful enough to emulate the entirety of the original gameboy. The Super Gameboy essentially just has the guts of a gameboy in it to put it bluntly. So there is literally no way anyone not even redguy with his awesome programming skills could make it work. I'd suggest getting a super gameboy or super gameboy 2 with the GB everdrive.

Well, it's here, and it works on both the original and Pro hardware.

https://t.co/xda5seilW1?amp=1

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
 :o :o :o :o
Awesome work.
Who could be the anonymous coder? :P
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline HansHintersee20