Author Topic: Is it physically impossible to emulate the Super Gameboy on the SD2SNES?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Jagasian

• View Profile
Somebody please say “yes, it is impossible”, so that Redguy can prove you wrong  ;D

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
Yes it is impossible. It will never happen not without a serious hardware revision. The FPGA in the SD2SNES would have to be powerful enough to emulate the entirety of the original gameboy. The Super Gameboy essentially just has the guts of a gameboy in it to put it bluntly. So there is literally no way anyone not even redguy with his awesome programming skills could make it work. I'd suggest getting a super gameboy or super gameboy 2 with the GB everdrive.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:14 PM by Gumball »
All I wanna do is shred.
Sufami Turbo

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:15 PM by OneBagTravel »
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline Jagasian

• View Profile
Have all of the steps been completed to summon Redguy?

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
Yes it is impossible.

Look if the FPGA in the sd2snes has enough power to emulate the gameboy then in turn the super gameboy then by all means Id love to see it happen as that would be pretty god damn amazing. At any rate I sincerely do not believe it's possible however if anyone wan'ts to try it be all means go nuts! If someone proves me wrong then awesome all that means is the sd2snes becomes even more legendary.
All I wanna do is shred.
Sufami Turbo

Offline FeverDrive

• View Profile
I think it's possible with the SD2SNES doing the heavy lifting  ::)
And so I go fast.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
Oh Jebus.....

Just get Super Gameboy 2!

Lock please.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:53 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Just get Super Gameboy 2!
But that would just make me swap carts out and I don't want to do that. Soft reset to main menu with my 8bitdo controller and going from playing Super Mario RPG to Super Mario Land from the comfort of my couch? Yes plz!

/sarcasm

Lock please.
Until it gets really out of hand, we'll let this roll.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
Lucky you added "/sarcasm" to your last post. ^^ Otherwise I would have torn apart the whole text and the postin' guy, too.
Counter question: Can mankind be happy with what they get? At least ONCE in the time of the existence of homo sapiens?! You got GSU and noone believed it would ever happen. That not even fully done you continued demanding SA-1 and even that you got. SA-1 is not even stable yet and you go on to demand the useless stuff, now that useful stuff is all in the works! Whats next?! Quake 4 on SNES?? (If anyone dares to say yes here...) Please just lock down this useless thread and force the ppl lurking in here demanding bullcrap to do something productive themselves. Thank you ^^

It was a really good idea of RedGuy to keep the SA-1 Beta and even his hidden repo away from all you guys. Ppl were forced to do some work on their own to find the code and that filtered 99,9% of the guys in here and on Discord. We had four weeks of pure silence for testing and no stampede of guys having no clue of the work needed to get things running. No "add MSU pr0n support to SA-1 else it's useless"-idiots, no "SMRPG does not work on my China crap clone, fix that!" and no "my microwave just ate my nose thx to RedGuy's new bitfile!" Sadly enough all good things have an end as it seems... unless the mods close this perfect example of humans not having any swarm intelligence at all.  8)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:54 AM by dreimer »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
I'll never understand people who moan about others that request features to be added. It's like the whole Classic WoW versus retail WoW. The retailers have their game, why are they so against other people asking for alternatives.

You have your SD2SNES and you'll get your SA-1 when Redguy is done. What does it matter if other people ask for options or additions? It's up to the developers or the coders to do it, or not. In other words, it's not your problem.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
This question would have to be more for Ikari_01 than anyone, as we're not talking about creating another core.  You'd have to emulate the Gameboy.  It's probably doable, but why?

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
Why? Gameboy games run at the incorrect clockspeed and sound weird. No need to add extra stress on the developers.

Incorrect clock speed compared to what?  If you are thinking of the issues with the Super Gameboy 1, your argument is akin to saying "Why try and get Gameboy games to run?  The surface of the sun is very warm!"  Makes no sense.  heh.

In addition, if there is a need to shut down any and all discourse on SD2SNES and any new posts, they will certainly close these forums.  If you want to be a mod, kindly ask the site mods if you can be granted that privilege.

Offline Jagasian

• View Profile
This question would have to be more for Ikari_01 than anyone, as we're not talking about creating another core.  You'd have to emulate the Gameboy.  It's probably doable, but why?

Why emulate 25 year old tech?  Preservation.  There are only so many SUper Gameboys out there.  If SD2SNES emulated it, then it will have a longer shelf life as SD2SNES hard is still being manufactured.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
When asked if NES would be possible on the SD2SNES, this was ikari_01's counter on Discord.

Quote from: ikari_01
well uh
yes and no
it might be possible to get something working but there's no straightforward way to get the picture into the SNES at sufficient speed
I can feed audio directly, but not video
now PPU2 has a secret mode where you can feed it 15 bit digital video
but of course it would be impractical to cut up the snes
lol

OTOH Super Gameboy might not be too far out of reach
as it already works in "real life" through the cartridge bus.

Offline FeverDrive

• View Profile
Quote from: ikari_01
OTOH Super Gameboy might not be too far out of reach
as it already works in "real life" through the cartridge bus.
There is hope  ::) ::)
And so I go fast.