Author Topic: Is it physically impossible to emulate the Super Gameboy on the SD2SNES?  (Read 13546 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
What ikari_01 is saying is that the NES can pull off some cheap tricks thanks to its pecular design, which most other systems using video RAM can't. The NES has video ROM/RAM on cartridge (like Neo Geo), while the SNES only has video RAM inside the console, and that means you can't just change it like you can with hardware on the cartridge.

Porting NES games to SNES isn't a big deal. The CPU is backwards compatible and the SNES is similar enough to the NES and much more powerful that most things can probably be ported over easilly, especially simple games like Donkey Kong and Burger Time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:57 AM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
What ikari_01 is saying is that the NES can pull off some cheap tricks thanks to its pecular design, which most other systems using video RAM can't. The NES has video ROM/RAM on cartridge (like Neo Geo), while the SNES only has video RAM inside the console, and that means you can't just change it like you can with hardware on the cartridge.

Porting NES games to SNES isn't a big deal. The CPU is backwards compatible and the SNES is similar enough to the NES and much more powerful that most things can probably be ported over easilly, especially simple games like Donkey Kong and Burger Time.

Indeed though some have graphical glitches its still quite ground breaking especially if you take into account on the year it was made. It's always fun to go back to those good old days when Trainers were made before rom patches exist these days xD
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Those game ports are interesting, but the ones I messed around with seemed to lack any sound/music.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
Those game ports are interesting, but the ones I messed around with seemed to lack any sound/music.

A lot do, infact its a miracle if Burger Time wont freeze just after playing it yet the generic music will loop. It likely worked better on an emulator as a lot of Trainers have issues working on a real hardware SNES... speaking of abnormality did the SD2 SNES ever rectify the issue where Actraiser 2 on either the USA/PAL version kept crashing after selecting a world while the Japan one worked fine?

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
Yes it is impossible. It will never happen not without a serious hardware revision. The FPGA in the SD2SNES would have to be powerful enough to emulate the entirety of the original gameboy. The Super Gameboy essentially just has the guts of a gameboy in it to put it bluntly. So there is literally no way anyone not even redguy with his awesome programming skills could make it work. I'd suggest getting a super gameboy or super gameboy 2 with the GB everdrive.

Well, it's here, and it works on both the original and Pro hardware.

https://t.co/xda5seilW1?amp=1

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
 :o :o :o :o
Awesome work.
Who could be the anonymous coder? :P
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline HansHintersee20

• View Profile
<3 <3 <3

WOW - just WOW!

Offline symbios24

• View Profile
Is it possible to add inside the Super Gameboy Bios rom a gameboy rom/game??
So when you run the bios it will load the rom/game??
For people that have the super everdrive like me and can't afford to buy Sd2Snes ??

Offline nuu

• View Profile
No not possible. A GB rom can't run on a SNES (otherwise it would be a SNES game and not a GB game). It needs the Game Boy hardware to run.

Offline iray1979

• View Profile
No not possible. A GB rom can't run on a SNES (otherwise it would be a SNES game and not a GB game). It needs the Game Boy hardware to run.

This is actually incorrect, the sd2snes can run GB and gbc enhanced games now.

I think the snes is capable of running nes games through the sd2snes as well actually, especially when you consider that the Sega Genesis can run nes games through the new Genesis Everdrive pro cart , I really dont think it is much of a stretch to get it done, just needs the right programmer/coder for the job.

Offline Relikk

• View Profile

Yes, the SD2SNES can, because it is emulating the Super Game Boy hardware, but that is not what the person he quoted was asking. He was asking if it can be done on a Super Everdrive.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile

I think the snes is capable of running nes games through the sd2snes as well actually, especially when you consider that the Sega Genesis can run nes games through the new Genesis Everdrive pro cart , I really dont think it is much of a stretch to get it done, just needs the right programmer/coder for the job.

Hang on... the genesis could run NES roms? That's a first though I do remember the SNES managed to run NES roms in the A&S hacks back in the 90's so reverse processing is possible in some form...

Post changed:

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile

Hang on... the genesis could run NES roms? That's a first though I do remember the SNES managed to run NES roms in the A&S hacks back in the 90's so reverse processing is possible in some form...

In the Mega ED Pro Krikzz included a FPGA to play NES roms on the Genesis. It is far from perfect, but it is a neat trick.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile

In the Mega ED Pro Krikzz included a FPGA to play NES roms on the Genesis. It is far from perfect, but it is a neat trick.

That's pretty cool... as for us in the 90's we had quite a few NES games that managed to work on the SNES from Burger Time, Donkey Kong and Star Soldier to name a few. They were done around the time when Trainers were made which included a custom audio track to them and were also far from perfect and had graphical errors and values which I learnt to fix for SNES games to play on GBA.

Post changed: