Author Topic: Why does everdrive has some incompatibility issues with some SD cards?  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Junninx

• View Profile
 Hi, I want to ask If someone know what is the problem with some SD cards?
 People say that the FAT system not found issue is caused by SD cards, but why? I mean, my SD card doesn't have any issues with others devices, the problem only occurs on ED64, I can Format it and use It without problems, but If I put It in other device to add more ROMs later, the FAT problem most likely occurs when I reset, while It never occurs after a fresh Format.

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
Re: Why does everdrive has some incompatibility issues with some SD cards?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 03:27 PM »
I believe there are 2 issues,

1. If a card works (at any point) and then stops working, it is likely down to file fragmentation and the ability of the menu (os64) to deal with it.

2. The menu and bootloader dont support exFat, so really only supports SD and SDHC type cards (see https://www.integralmemory.com/faq/what-are-differences-between-fat16-fat32-and-exfat-file-systems for more information).

I am currently working on the first in my unofficial official menu, as this will use FatFS which is a tried and tested method for reading filesystems. It also supports exFat, so the menu will be compatible with higher capacity cards (SDXC), but unfortunately will not ever likely be compatible with the current revs of hardware as the bootloader would need updating to support it also.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...