Author Topic: Real or Fake?  (Read 193 times)

Offline the23

• View Profile
Real or Fake?
« on: September 16, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Hi,

found this on Ebay. Is it a real (old) sd2snes or is it a fake version? Cant get my hands on a new one, because the only store here in Germany is out of stock all the time.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:50 PM by the23 »

Offline ozzy2k

• View Profile
Re: Real or Fake?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 07:20 PM »
To me it's look like a fake (not from Krikzz) SD2SNES.

Offline DandySephy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Depends what you mean by fake. Krikzz builds SD2SNES, but it's an open source project and anyone can build one. Therefore unless someone has cloned his silkscreen, there aren't any "fakes". And there isn't much point in doing that because again, it's not worth making a fake.

Thats not to say they don't exist, I don't know. Especially as there are various revisions and schematics are public for several of them. But you can't assume that an SD2SNES is a fake from a case and label image. Nothing about that image suggests it's trying to pass itself off, but it doesn't need to either. It's nothing like the issue with Everdrive MD clones.

Personally I bought a Krikzz unit from a reliable local reseller because I knew what I was getting, but there are cheaper alternatives from different sources if you want to take the risk.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:29 PM by DandySephy »

Offline the23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:34 PM »
The real question for me is, can i update the firmaware w/o problems. I read about various problems and possible bricks with China Clones.

Offline DandySephy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:43 PM »
The only way to be sure is to buy from Krikzz or a known reseller.

Even if another card could take an upgrade, that doesn't mean the manufacturing is done to the same standard.

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 10:19 PM »
The real question for me is, can i update the firmaware w/o problems. I read about various problems and possible bricks with China Clones.
Of course you can. Since the SD2SNES is an open source project, there are no fakes or clones. The pcb layout is publicly available on ikari's GitHub:

https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes/tree/develop/pcb

Depending on where you bought your SD2SNES (or if you've build one yourself) there are just differences in production quality and support. To keep the price low, the Chinese version simply cuts costs by using the cheapest available parts, by applying as few solder paste as possible and by doing no quality checks at all after soldering. Therefore some (but NOT all) Chinese SD2SNES facing problems because of bad solder joints or broken parts. But if they work, the work the same as an SD2SNES from an officials store. The only differences are: from an official store you'll get the latest pcb revision, better quality builds from krikzz and (of course) customer support.

So you won't get a bricked Chinese SD2SNES while using a newer firmware. Unlike with Everdrives... which are closed source - and therefore Chinese clones/fakes of Everdrives are simply product counterfeitings.

Offline teamvb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:25 PM »
I got my sd2snes from krizz 5 years ago and it is still working and I just changed the battery last week,I see and played with a sd2snes (China) when I was in Thailand 4 years ago  and I updated the firmware no problem, products for China are ok,if they use good parts to make it but no support they just want to sell,make money only,zero support,
« Last Edit: Today at 10:33 PM by teamvb »
EVERDRIVE 64v3,SUPERDRIVE v2, SD2SNES rev F ,UFO PRO SD,GAME DOCTOR 7 128MB USB,TURBO EVERDRIVE v1,MEGA EVERDRIVE V2,EVERDRIVE MD V1,MASTER EVERDRIVE,FLASHKIT MD,EVERDRIVE N8/FAMICOM