Author Topic: Master EVerdrive X7 on Japanese Master System.  (Read 5745 times)

Offline NeoXbit

• View Profile
Master EVerdrive X7 on Japanese Master System.
« on: October 03, 2018, 03:23 AM »
This has been probably asked before, but will a Master Everdrive X7 work properly on a Japanese Master System (not the white Mark III but the one that actually looks like the "International" MS) with an appropriate adapter?

Thanks!

Offline stlpaul

• View Profile
Re: Master EVerdrive X7 on Japanese Master System.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:22 AM »
No, there are compatibility problems with Japanese sms. Using the ext port gives SD card errors, and if you use a cartridge slot adapter you cannot have ingame reset/save state function (and most people have sd errors there, too).

If you can find the old version of the Master Everdrive it works great on JSMS with either ext or cart port adapter. X7 is only working properly with the US/EU master system.

Offline NeoXbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:52 AM »
Thanks, that was helpful, I hope this can be fixed through firmware update.

Offline Souvlaki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 05:05 AM »
We are delighted to be partnering on this knowledge.

Offline Jurger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Hi all and sorry for raising this topic from the land of the dead.

I was interested in the recent development on Master Everdrive X7 and its compatibility with japanese Master System (MK-2000) which I happened to acquire couple weeks ago. So my concerns are as follows:

1. How well does Master Everdrive X7 work with JP Master System with SMS2SG1000 cartridge adapter sold here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SMS2SG1000-Sega-Master-System-U-S-Version-to-Sega-MARK-III-Japanese-Version-Adapter-SMS-Adapter/32664053050.html
Earlier Krikzz mentioned that he had no issues except the in-game menu, but others have had some SD read errors. So I guess you have to have just the right SD card it to work properly? So basic stuff, but is there some incompatibility issues with certain games? Stlpaul responded earlier that there were problems in 2018 october. Are these issues still there?

2. What about compatibility with SMS gender adapter sold here: https://www.smspower.org/Shop/GenderAdapter Has anyone made extensive use of the adapter with X7? Some people here said that in-game menu works but SD cards gets lots of errors? Would like to hear more especially about the games supporting FM sound.

3. Question for Krikzz: I guess this one is a distant pipe dream, but has there been any thoughts to make a japanese-friendly Mark III/SMS version of Master Everdrive (and possibly X5 version of it if the in-game menu doesn't work anyways) to eliminate all these adapter headaches. Just like there is a Famicom version of N8 Everdrive. That would be PERFECT!

4. If there isn't enough demand (as I suspect) for JP SMS/Mark III molded Everdrive, has anyone made 3D printed case for the SMS2SG1000 adapter to make the whole more nice looking and sturdy. Or maybe alternatively a case that could house the adapter AND the Master Everdrive X7 PCB without parts sticking out? I'm aware that D.Lo made a DIY case (detailed here: https://nintendosegajapan.com/2015/03/13/creation-of-a-sega-mark-iii-everdrive-flash-cart/ ). Only problem that you have to sacrifice original game cart and it needs quite heavy modification to the PCBs and the case. And it still isn't ideal.

5. If it's no no to everything above, then what about an adapter that would be much lower profile than SMS2SG1000 so the original MARK III game case would fit much better? Just a thought.

6. And finally Krikzz: Should one just try to get old Master Everdrive instead X7 because of the incompatibility issues or is there possibly some OS update coming that would fix SD and in-game menu errors etc?

So yeah, many open questions as an happy owner of JP Master System.  :)

And thanks for the reply in advance, I've been enjoying Mega Everdrive X5 and Everdrive GBA X5 immensly! Mega kudos to Krikzz!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:06 PM by Jurger »

Offline Jurger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Bump. Still waiting for some insights to questions above.  :)

Offline pssycho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 12:43 AM »
I didn't know about this and bought Master Everdrive X7 and exp. port converter. Problem still not solved: SD card error, FAT error, unexpected error...
I also have converter for the cartridge slot, as I didn't test a lot, it works. In game menu is shown in some games, for example Sonic 2.
But BIOS game(patched as shown in meka.pat) like Alex Kidd in Miracle World(Korean) falls in infinite loop of SEGA and Samsung logo.
Strange thing is, the same rom works properly in Everdrive GG.