Author Topic: Save states on SD2Snes  (Read 26677 times)

Offline Lomax

• View Profile
Re: Save states on SD2Snes
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 06:58 AM »
So is this feature going to find it's way into an "official" firmware at some point?

Offline Spoonman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2018, 10:21 AM »
So is this feature going to find it's way into an "official" firmware at some point?

Hope so.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 09:46 PM »
It seems like it will according to this page.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Rhoran

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 11:09 AM »
I was just about to start a thread asking the same question. It's a shame we won't even see any attempts at implementation until at least 1.12 if I am interpreting the page correctly. At this time, we're on 1.10. I'd rather not go back to 1.8 just for save states, but that seems to be the case.

Offline Kobe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2019, 10:16 PM »
So what is going on in regards to the save states? I downloaded the 1.8 firmware and don't have any options for in game save states, what the heck?

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2019, 10:48 PM »
Save states were never official, they were worked on by a third party, thus never released in official firmware. A guy called FURiOUS was the developer.

https://twitter.com/furious_/status/1050002481420427265

Offline Kobe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2019, 03:20 AM »
^Thank you for that, thanks to using save states I was finally able to beat Castlevania IV!

Here's hoping that they'll implement this feature in an official firmware update- obviously it won't be perfect, but having it makes some games much more enjoyable for someone like me who doesn't have all the time in the world to master each game.

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Here's hoping that they'll implement this feature in an official firmware update- obviously it won't be perfect, but having it makes some games much more enjoyable for someone like me who doesn't have all the time in the world to master each game.

There's a lot of communication lately between FURiOUS and ikari on Discord. They're working on it. It might take a while, but it'll happen. Give it time.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2019, 10:53 PM »
^Thank you for that, thanks to using save states I was finally able to beat Castlevania IV!

- Castlevania 4 is a difficult game? don't go playing the NES ones. ;)

- After you get past a certain age, you realize it's not about the destination but the ride. These classic games are still awesome to play whether you ever finish them or not, this is why I personally have spent so much of what little money I make on classic consoles.

But I'm not critizing you though, to each his own. Save states are tons of fun for many different reasons.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2019, 03:35 PM »
That's why I think save states ruins the games if they are abused, like when used for getting past a tough part or used for extending credits. And Super Castlevania IV has passwords so it doesn't even need save states for saving progress when you stop playing.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2019, 07:27 PM »
That's why I think save states ruins the games if they are abused, like when used for getting past a tough part or used for extending credits. And Super Castlevania IV has passwords so it doesn't even need save states for saving progress when you stop playing.

I learned that hard lesson on the late 90s/early 00s when the emulation age came about. Now we have everdrives for more than just nostalgia: to us old games are objectively better than a lot of the modern stuff being made, so save states are more for fun than to actually finish difficult games.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Kobe

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2019, 09:33 PM »

- After you get past a certain age, you realize it's not about the destination but the ride. These classic games are still awesome to play whether you ever finish them or not, this is why I personally have spent so much of what little money I make on classic consoles.

But I'm not critizing you though, to each his own. Save states are tons of fun for many different reasons.
I'm going through the Castlevania games in order of release, so yes, I beat the 3 NES/Famicom games but also using save states. Just 100% Rondo of Blood on my PC Engine (no save states used there). I have no issues with using them, if I didn't I would never complete these games, and I would probably just curse the game out and never play them again. I make no apologies about using them, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I'm just trying to play the games, enjoy them, and complete them because I want to go on to the next one. And with so many thousands of games I want to play, this is the only way I can feasibly get through them. So if you are against using them, all the power to you. But for me, I'm just trying to enjoy my gameplay time, because I have an extremely limited time now that I can devote to playing games and I have so many to go through.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2019, 10:46 PM »

I'm going through the Castlevania games in order of release, so yes, I beat the 3 NES/Famicom games but also using save states. Just 100% Rondo of Blood on my PC Engine (no save states used there). I have no issues with using them, if I didn't I would never complete these games, and I would probably just curse the game out and never play them again. I make no apologies about using them, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I'm just trying to play the games, enjoy them, and complete them because I want to go on to the next one. And with so many thousands of games I want to play, this is the only way I can feasibly get through them. So if you are against using them, all the power to you. But for me, I'm just trying to enjoy my gameplay time, because I have an extremely limited time now that I can devote to playing games and I have so many to go through.

You sound a little defensive, you must have missed the "I'm not critizing" part. Oh Well, more power to you.

Offline imafugyashizup

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 12:29 PM »

I got my pro last tuesday and I just finished earthbound tonight with it and gotta say, it felt much more rewarding not using save states through the end game. Especially not fast forwarding, which i love to abuse on grindy games. The frustration of the end really made it worth it. However* if you do really need to savestate an area, if the game has saves, just transfer the battery save back and forth(if your emulator is compatible).

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 10:14 PM »
If I'm out to beat a difficult game, I'll often use save states to practice the hard bits before making a legit run. It shortens the learning curve, especially in games like Battletoads or Ninja Gaiden III.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/