Author Topic: Save states on SD2Snes  (Read 26555 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Save states on SD2Snes
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2019, 06:06 PM »
I know what you all are talking about, I used to use tons of save states and fast-forwarding in emulators too. There are situations where they are really useful, for example if you just want to see the ending of a game that you don't seem to get anywhere in (Ghost and Goblins anyone?) or in an RPG where there are multiple options and you want to see all outcomes without having to play through the game again everytime, or to see other things that you might not normally be able to see. Yes and using them to save time when practising is also useful. That last one almost goes into the cheating-because-the-rules-are-broken category.

After learning to abuse them however you notice that games becomes boring doing so and it doesn't feel like you really beat the games. And even if you use save states just to save progress or so, it's quite easy to get into the habit and reload when you get a Game Over, just because you happened to have a quite recent save state.

Just 100% Rondo of Blood on my PC Engine (no save states used there).
If you can beat Rondo I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to beat IV. It was some time ago I played either of them but I think IV is probably easier.
The NES games are not too much harder than Rondo either. Especially the FDS version of the first game which can save, and the Famicom version of the third game is also easier than the NES version.

Offline Kobe

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2019, 10:51 PM »
I could probably beat IV without save states, but that would require a lot more time investment (and added frustration). Like I said, I'm just trying to complete and enjoy the games at this point, have an extremely limited time to devote to any one game, literally have thousands of games I still need to play. This is what save states mean to me: Save time and frustration.

Offline duhmez

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2019, 11:13 AM »
I tried the unofficial Save State firmware, 1.8 with SD2SNES pro, but I do not see any save state option int he menu.  Am I doing something wrong?  How do I test out the 3rd party save state firmware? I open the menu during game and see only the normal options.

What I have tried: I first puit the official firmware on there. Then I downloaeed and unzipped the save state firmware 1.8 in there.

The games work good and everythinbg, btu I see no save state option.  Am I doing something wrong or is the Pro not working with it?  Does anyone hav experience with this can help me out?

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Am I doing something wrong or is the Pro not working with it?

The firmware was not for the Pro. It was for the original SD2SNES.

Offline duhmez

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2019, 04:09 AM »
Am I doing something wrong or is the Pro not working with it?

The firmware was not for the Pro. It was for the original SD2SNES.
That is good to hear, that I am not crazy. The reason I asked was there was an earlier  poster that said they had it working on the pro model.

Offline JonIIDX

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2020, 03:51 PM »
Hey everyone. :>

Any update about Save State support on the SD2SNES Pro/FXPak Pro? Guessing no... While many people use save states to clear games, many other people use save states to practice strats for speedrunning or other forms of gameplay. Whether you want to use savestates or not, the ability to choose to use them is a huge factor of why I haven't bought this loader yet.

However, I have heard that USB2SNES (http://usb2snes.com/) used in tandem with Savestate2SNES (https://skarsnik.github.io/Savestate2snes/) allows you to use savestates if you hook your SD2SNES Pro (FXPak Pro) to the computer. While it would be great if the official firmware would support even a beta functionality of savestates, at least there seems to be some kind of work around.

Still have no idea if the latest build of USB2SNES (v11) works with the latest build of Savestate2SNES (v10). I guess I will have to buy the FXPak Pro and test for myself to find out... :/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:57 PM by JonIIDX »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2020, 06:20 AM »
It's supposedly to be included in the firmware update, but there is no ETA on when that is going to be released.

Offline FartPuff

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2020, 11:23 PM »
It's supposedly to be included in the firmware update, but there is no ETA on when that is going to be released.

can't wait!  :)
retroUSB AVS / EverDrive N8 / Analogue Super NT / SAG SD2SNES Pro ( Mk. III Rev. B ) / Game/System collection

Offline mprziv

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2020, 02:46 PM »

Just picked up my FXPAK Pro to use with my Super NT. I was a little bummed that it doesn't support save states, since the SD2SNES does. Really looking forward to future updates. Thanks to the devs for supporting this!

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06 AM »
since the SD2SNES does

Only marginally, only on an outdated 'fork' of the drivers made by a 3rd party. It's apparenlty hit and miss, and doesn't work on SA1 or special chips from what I understand? You'll be better off with the newer official firmwares for compatilbity reasons.

There is no 'official' support for save states. The upcoming firmware will be the first official release of save states, and apparently have better compatiblity and less buggy. It will access sound differently.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2020, 10:09 PM »

Just picked up my FXPAK Pro to use with my Super NT. I was a little bummed that it doesn't support save states, since the SD2SNES does. Really looking forward to future updates. Thanks to the devs for supporting this!

Officially the SD2SNES has never had that feature incorporated into it as it was just a unofficial add on that was never distributed in the proper updates for the SD2 SNES. The only thing the SD2SNES does what the FXPAK doesn't was that it used a regular sized SD card making it easy to take in and out for updates while the later one used a micro SD that was more useful on devices that were no bigger than a GB series size that would require too much space for other chips that were used.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2020, 01:28 PM »
It will access sound differently.
This will probably introduce new incompatibilities, and it's just a really bad thing for homebrew developers that wants to test on the real APU. I just hope that it will be possible to use the SNES APU like normal as well when disabling save states.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2020, 09:22 AM »
NUU, not sure how it works.. I think the issue was before save states intereferred with sound channels, or how the system accessed sound. The idea is to now accesss a different form of save states, that won't interfere with the normal function of sound system (as the previous attempts did). But it may also 'save state' the sound as well. This may only be capable on the Pro version though. Who knows, what it will do though, its only briefly been discussed in an interview with Smokemonster. We'll just have to wait and see...

Other possibilities on pro might be able ot save state on special chip games.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2020, 09:49 PM »
No it didn't interfere with the sound channels, the problem with save states on the SNES using a flashcart is that there is no good way to know the exact state of the APU from the cartridge. So sound will break when making a save state because you can't preserve the sound program's state. In that interview with Smokemonster it sounded like they were going to program an FPGA APU which the game will think is the APU and upload its sound program and sound data to.

It's easy to preserve the state of this FPGA-simulated APU in the save state since it's part of the flashcart's workings. But that also means sound is not playing on your SNES hardware but on an FPGA APU in the SD2SNES. Any homebrew testing or APU comparisons would be useless. That's why it's a bad thing. If it's just an option it's ok though.

Offline FartPuff

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2020, 05:42 AM »
No it didn't interfere with the sound channels, the problem with save states on the SNES using a flashcart is that there is no good way to know the exact state of the APU from the cartridge. So sound will break when making a save state because you can't preserve the sound program's state. In that interview with Smokemonster it sounded like they were going to program an FPGA APU which the game will think is the APU and upload its sound program and sound data to.

It's easy to preserve the state of this FPGA-simulated APU in the save state since it's part of the flashcart's workings. But that also means sound is not playing on your SNES hardware but on an FPGA APU in the SD2SNES. Any homebrew testing or APU comparisons would be useless. That's why it's a bad thing. If it's just an option it's ok though.

I thought that this problem was only with MSU1 - SNES Media Streaming Unit  for the reason you stated, but stock ROMs don't have the problem?
retroUSB AVS / EverDrive N8 / Analogue Super NT / SAG SD2SNES Pro ( Mk. III Rev. B ) / Game/System collection