Author Topic: PAL NES with N8 Everdrive  (Read 2927 times)

Offline whf

• View Profile
PAL NES with N8 Everdrive
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Hi all, I made a similar post r.e. the N64 but would very much like to know about the NES as well.

I'm looking to pick up a N8, but have a question:

If I have a PAL NES and only want to play NTSC games from the Everdrive, will there be any compatibility issues or will it run the same as an NTSC console would?

Thanks!

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: PAL NES with N8 Everdrive
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 10:00 PM »
I think you'll run into problems on a PAL NES.  The crystal runs at a different speed, so I think, assuming a particular game works, it will run slower than normal.  You might be better off just snagging an NTSC system for 60 Hz games.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Thomu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 10:58 PM »
Ntsc games wil run slower on a pal nes.
Own:EDN8PRO|EDN8|SD2SNESPRO|SD2SNES|MegaEDV2|MasterEDX7|EDGGX7|EDGBX7|EDGBAX5(x2)|ED64X7|ED64V3|ED64V2.5|PSIO(x2)|GDEMU|USBGDROM|Phoebe(x2)|WaspFusion(x3)|NGPSD(x2)|LynxSD|JagSD|EDGB|Flashboy+|SSDS3|NeoSDPro|MegaSD|EZFlashOmega(x3)|EDMDclone|GDEMUclone
Ordered:
To buy:EDGBAX5Mini|MultiBoy32|LynxGD|

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:13 AM »
Hi all, I made a similar post r.e. the N64 but would very much like to know about the NES as well.

I'm looking to pick up a N8, but have a question:

If I have a PAL NES and only want to play NTSC games from the Everdrive, will there be any compatibility issues or will it run the same as an NTSC console would?

Thanks!

It depends on the game. Best case scenario, they will run slower. Worst case, they don't run at all.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I tried quite  afew on my PAL NES and they work, but as already said above... slower. Even FDS games work fine incl. audio channel mod, but not at the expected speed.

Offline garett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:18 PM »
I have a "mirror" question  :) - can I run Europe roms (E) on my american NES? Using Everdrive N8 I mean.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:13 PM »
Sure, these run too fast then. At least some do. Some games never were optimized for PAL and thus run at normal speed for NTSC and always too slow for PAL ^^

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 07:51 AM »
Just load up the N8 with PAL roms and you're right to go. I live in Australia so grew up playing PAL roms. You won't notice a difference unless you're used to an NTSC NES and then switch back to PAL after gaming for a while.  Yes I own both NTSC and PAL NES consoles. If you insist on running NTSC roms on a PAL console though, the slowness isn't as bad as people say it is. You won't even notice it much if you're used to using a PAL console.

Offline sqwirral

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 02:28 PM »
Just load up the N8 with PAL roms and you're right to go. I live in Australia so grew up playing PAL roms. You won't notice a difference unless you're used to an NTSC NES and then switch back to PAL after gaming for a while.  Yes I own both NTSC and PAL NES consoles. If you insist on running NTSC roms on a PAL console though, the slowness isn't as bad as people say it is. You won't even notice it much if you're used to using a PAL console.
There are tons of games that never had pal versions though. Also in pal the picture is squashed, i.e sprites looks fat, circles look like ovals etc.