Author Topic: Famicom shells in stock.  (Read 13355 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Famicom shells in stock.
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:05 AM »
Famicom shells in stock on retrogate.com. At this moment i have black and white shells, may be later i will have transparent shells also

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Famicom shells in stock.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:31 AM »
No label?  Blarg.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:47 AM »
No label?  Blarg.

15$ + shipping, double blarg!!!

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:46 PM »
may be later i will have transparent shells also
EPIC!!!!!! now thats $15 well spent :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:48 PM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Thanks Krikkz

Can you make a purple one?

I love Tennis Cartrige   :D

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:27 PM »
No label?  Blarg.

In case I was misunderstood mine was NOT approval. 15$ + shipping is too much FOR ME for a piece of plastic.
I said FOR ME as this is a strictly personal opinion, I was hoping they were much cheaper like 10$ shipping included or very close to that.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:49 PM »
No label?  Blarg.

In case I was misunderstood mine was NOT approval. 15$ + shipping is too much FOR ME for a piece of plastic.
I said FOR ME as this is a strictly personal opinion, I was hoping they were much cheaper like 10$ shipping included or very close to that.
omg...seriously??...??? go on retrogate and look at EDMD, megaED, superED, SD2SNES, N8nes sections you will see that it costs $15 for shells that are used, these N8 fami shells are brand new! and with that embossed logo is well worth $15, its custom and its one of a kind and as soon as krikzz sells clear shells he gets my $15 no hesitation 8)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:05 PM by dvd2vcd »

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 12:56 AM »

omg...seriously??...??? go on retrogate and look at EDMD, megaED, superED, SD2SNES, N8nes sections you will see that it costs $15 for shells that are used, these N8 fami shells are brand new! and with that embossed logo is well worth $15, its custom and its one of a kind and as soon as krikzz sells clear shells he gets my $15 no hesitation 8)

Seriously.

I did mines by hand and there's a lot of work into working on used shells like cleaning away the label, get rid of the crappy glue, cut the hole(s), file it until it looks nice and in some cases retrobright the whole thing. Given the amount of work I don't mind the 15$ surplus in that case.
In this case it's new stock fresh out of the mold so I was hoping it would be cheaper, I have never done custom plastic works so I do not know how much it costs to produce them, I'm pretty sure the mold cost is the dominating cost.

As I said it is MY OPINION. I cannot believe you would question MY OPINION as to if I think it's worth FOR ME or NOT.
Being MY OPINION I'm pretty sure I know the way I feel about it.
I am not telling you how to go about it and I am not putting out absolute judgments either.
My OPINION, my WORDS, no need to get defensive about it.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:12 AM »
No label?  Blarg.

Price doesn't bother me, I just want a nice label.

15$ for a custom piece of formed plastic which is nowhere near mass produced.  Too many people out there seem to think prices of mass produced products should cost the same as products that are produced in very small quantities.  If you think you can make a custom plastic case like this for cheaper, I'd like to see you try.

Dvd2vcd is simply stating his opinion, phoenixdownita you're the only one I see as "getting defensive about it.".  Phoenix you clearly state that you have no experience whatsoever with making this type of product so maybe it's best if you only have opinions about things you know something about.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:01 AM by Drakon »

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 02:22 AM »
i broke a 8 gb micro sd cart, trying to cut sd cart slot in a famicom card, a game became useless and my everdrive N8 looks like shit. i would gladly pay the 15$ extra when i purchased the card if i had the chance.

but buying it now and paying shipping again? i am not so sure, especially now that i got my everdrive N8 working and it is away from static too.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 04:44 AM »

Dvd2vcd is simply stating his opinion, phoenixdownita you're the only one I see as "getting defensive about it.".  Phoenix you clearly state that you have no experience whatsoever with making this type of product so maybe it's best if you only have opinions about things you know something about.

Sorry if it came too strong I just find unsettling when opinions on how I should feel are questioned.
Again the price is set by Krikzz the way Krikzz decides, period.
Just expressing that I was hoping it would be cheaper.
If it cannot be done, it cannot be done, at the same time that does not change the way I feel about it.

It's a simple perceived value proposition, many people here thinks it's awesome, good for them, I just disagree on the awesomeness factor based on price, nothing more, nothing less.

... it's best if you only have opinions about things you know something about

BTW I don't really need to know how much it costs to make it in order to judge if I feel it is expensive FOR ME, I just compare to other stuff and decide on my own. Remember that the value is as perceived by the buyer, and I am just one of the mass, by no mean should Krikzz base his pricing decisions on my opinion, that would be suicide, remember I'd like to have a NeoGeo ED for 100$/150$ top and that apparently is blasphemy.
I still feel though that I am entitled to express an opinion, it's a free world after-all.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 10:17 AM »
wow...ok...ermm...lol...was just being supportive to krikzz new product.
surely u gotta see that a brand new shell ready to house is better than a used one, that was basically what i meant :) i used a salamander cart for mine and it was a pain in the ass to mod it for the N8, at least with these shells its a no mess type deal.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:27 AM by dvd2vcd »

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 04:44 PM »
Some things, you have to consider the value, not the price. For example, last summer I bought a 'certified pre-owned' car. I love it, but one little thing has nagged me since the day I bought it. The previous owner apparently kept a child seat in the back, and one of the little plastic covers that snap in to hide the steel latch for the child seat was missing. No big deal, and not even ugly or anything ... but I had three covered slots, and one uncovered. So, when I had it in for scheduled service, I ordered the missing plastic cover. Cost me $18. It isn't worth five cents. But I was happy to pay it, because even though the little plastic item I bought isn't worth what I paid for it, it made my car feel 'complete.' And the car is worth a lot, lot more than $18.

That said, I'm still on the fence about this. I already bought my N8 and it's already in a shell. Sure, I snapped a tab opening up my donor cart and it's now held together with scotch tape  ;D , but still I don't NEED this to make my stuff work. If I were buying the N8 today though, heck yeah I'd pay the $15. And the next time I order something from KRIKzz (I still need an ED64, at least), I'll probably get one of these.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 05:16 PM »

Sorry if it came too strong I just find unsettling when opinions on how I should feel are questioned.
Again the price is set by Krikzz the way Krikzz decides, period.
Just expressing that I was hoping it would be cheaper.
If it cannot be done, it cannot be done, at the same time that does not change the way I feel about it.

It's a simple perceived value proposition, many people here thinks it's awesome, good for them, I just disagree on the awesomeness factor based on price, nothing more, nothing less.

... it's best if you only have opinions about things you know something about

BTW I don't really need to know how much it costs to make it in order to judge if I feel it is expensive FOR ME, I just compare to other stuff and decide on my own. Remember that the value is as perceived by the buyer, and I am just one of the mass, by no mean should Krikzz base his pricing decisions on my opinion, that would be suicide, remember I'd like to have a NeoGeo ED for 100$/150$ top and that apparently is blasphemy.
I still feel though that I am entitled to express an opinion, it's a free world after-all.

"I just compare it to other stuff"

Let's compare something that had millions of copies produced by a huge company to something that maybe has 100 made and wonder why the prices are different.  Krikzz isn't a multi million dollar company selling millions of copies of his hardware.  He's a very small operation, frankly I'm surprised his prices aren't higher.  The rules of production are simple, the more you make and sell, the lower the price can be.

We're expressing our opinions too but it's always good to do a little research before you form an opinion.  I do my best to avoid having opinions on something I haven't researched very well.  Thanks for being mature about this, I was worried you'd freak out at my response.

Any time you feel "this costs too much" you should stop and think of how much it would cost you to make one yourself before you open your mouth about it.  I never complain about the price of something unless I can actually think of a cheaper way to get it.  It's really annoying reading posts by people who expect everything to cost the same as a product that's mass produced.  Obviously if you're making millions of copies you'll find ways to make the process more efficient and cheap.  Producing small batches always costs more.  Krikzz products are very niche, the harsh reality is this technology is 20-30 years old and the demand isn't very high compared to something like the iphone, new model playstation, tablet, whatever.  If krikzz wanted to make money he'd use his talents for more popular hardware.  We really should be happy that krikzz put his efforts into this hardware and not something else, that this hardware is supported so well, and that the prices aren't higher which they easily could be.

Anyway on the topic of these sexy shells, I'm looking at the pics, 3 screwholes, very nice, that should make the halves secure enough.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:29 PM by Drakon »

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 11:50 PM »

"I just compare it to other stuff"

Let's compare something that had millions of copies produced by a huge company to something that maybe has 100 made and wonder why the prices are different...

I meant, I compare it to other stuff that for me are worth 15/20$ and make my decision based on that, and that works no matter who produce what, from the small rural artisan to the mega-corporation.
Once more it is a personal point of view motivated by the hope that I could get a couple of these babies on the cheap.