Author Topic: CD RAM cart issue  (Read 270 times)

Offline mario64

• View Profile
CD RAM cart issue
« on: November 11, 2018, 01:06 AM »
Need some help please. I have a Mega Everdrive X7 in use with a Sega CDX. The problem is with the RAM backup feature. For example, when I first load Shining Force CD it tells me the backup RAM needs to be formatted. I do this then the game loads fine. I press the reset button to "save" the RAM cart but it never works. Every single time I power up the CDX and play Shining Force I have to format the RAM backup cart again. What's the trick to getting the format to stick after power down?

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: CD RAM cart issue
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 10:34 PM »
The ram cart feature should work like a save of any game, unless your battery is dead.

Are other games saving fine? Make a backup of your current saves folder and test a game, preferably Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Try to format the simulated ram cart inside Sega CD bios.

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:46 AM »
The ram cart feature should work like a save of any game, unless your battery is dead.

Are other games saving fine? Make a backup of your current saves folder and test a game, preferably Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Try to format the simulated ram cart inside Sega CD bios.
Thanks Marteicos. Saves to CDX internal battery work fine. I have formatted the everdrive RAM cart multiple times. It works fine until I power off the console. As soon as it's powered off the RAM cart is lost. Can you confirm the specific file I should be seeing in the saves folder for the RAM cart?

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Never used it on mine tbh, but maybe it's similar to my SD2SNES when saving a game using SRAM for data or a MSU game. Long Reset before power off and wait for it hopping back into flash cart menu. Maybe this is the trick needed here too...

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Never used it on mine tbh, but maybe it's similar to my SD2SNES when saving a game using SRAM for data or a MSU game. Long Reset before power off and wait for it hopping back into flash cart menu. Maybe this is the trick needed here too...
I have tried reset afterward. No luck. Still doesn’t keep the RAM cart after power off

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 08:50 PM »
Mega Drives don't reset the same way Snes do.

I meant the battery inside your Everdrive. Check it.

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 08:54 PM »

Oh ok. Thanks I'll do that

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 12:23 AM »

Can't thank you enough Marteicos! I replaced the Mega Everdrive's internal battery and so far it's working. It would be nice if the user manual made it clear that this functionality is tied to the internal battery. Thank you again for the help  :)