Author Topic: SDD1 Support is here!  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
Re: SDD1 Support is here!
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2018, 09:38 PM »
FWIW, this thread has me utterly confused.  Why are we replacing all the files just for SDD1??

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2018, 09:53 PM »
I assume the files are compiled from the latest sources... so besides the newly integrated SDD1 support and some untouched stuff the archive may contain some updated and patched files too.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Exactly. There are more changes, just check the commits on github. And changing other files is needed because SDD1 is only used if the firmware says so and the official one would not care about a detected SDD1 game at all.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Yup, Terminator2k2 is right with MSU1 (tested it this morning and it works just fine, very surprised by this). At the moment, Conn and I are in the finishing stages for Fighter's History Mizoguchi Kiki Ippatsu. Once this is done, I will go back to SFA2 and tweak my code. My first attempt was just quick test to see if MSU would play (which it did). As Relikk stated, give me a couple of weeks to get it done. I don't have much time due to "real life" workload getting heavier. It will get done. I want to bless this game with MSU treatment, long time coming. :)
By the way, I wonder if it would be too much trouble once it's done to also apply the same changes to Street Fighter Zero 2 (J) eventually? I think M. Bison is a dumb name for an evil dictator. :P

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2018, 01:22 AM »
By the way, I wonder if it would be too much trouble once it's done to also apply the same changes to Street Fighter Zero 2 (J) eventually? I think M. Bison is a dumb name for an evil dictator. :P
2nded, thanks in advance pepill0pev ;)

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Might be better off with a separate, optional MSU1 patch that has the original names rather than patching the Japanese version. It's only Bison -> Vega, and Katana -> Sodom.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Might be better off with a separate, optional MSU1 patch that has the original names rather than patching the Japanese version. It's only Bison -> Vega, and Katana -> Sodom.
And Akuma -> Gouki. And Charlie -> Nash. Anyway, I'd rather have this than nothing, but this would still change the title of the game to Alpha instead of Zero and the menu options, stage names, and various other text (between rounds and in the endings) from Japanese to English. Not sure if there are other significant differences, but I certainly don't think it would be better to have a fake MSU-1 SFZ2 over a real one.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:25 PM by Eyedunno »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2018, 09:57 PM »
And Akuma -> Gouki. And Charlie -> Nash.

See, I know that... (Stupid brain.)

Pev might do it, but another thing you can hope for is that the ROMs are similar, and that the final patch can be used "as is" on the Japanese version. Something I haven't tried. I really should...

EDIT: It doesn't. It looks promising until it gets to the title screen, then it crashes, and everything is muted up until that point. It's probably overwriting some native code where there is free space in the US ROM. It shouldn't be too hard for Pev to port it to the Japanese ROM.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:03 PM by Relikk »

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2018, 12:04 AM »
Pev might do it, but another thing you can hope for is that the ROMs are similar, and that the final patch can be used "as is" on the Japanese version. Something I haven't tried. I really should...

EDIT: It doesn't. It looks promising until it gets to the title screen, then it crashes, and everything is muted up until that point. It's probably overwriting some native code where there is free space in the US ROM. It shouldn't be too hard for Pev to port it to the Japanese ROM.
Yeah, I would have assumed it wouldn't work; there's a pretty fair amount of difference between the two, even if not so much in terms of gameplay. And yeah, I don't imagine it would be hard to port.

Offline pepill0pev

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2018, 04:41 AM »
Relikk, so far the US->JAP port was pretty simple (the addresses were off in the jap version). I just need to find one more area where I have to mute msu after Sagat finishes his dialog with Ryu going into the final battle. Simple enough. Only thing that sucks, I have to play there. Unless someone has a save state just before this part of the game loads. Yes, I am in lazy mode to do this myself at the moment.  ;)

UPDATE: Ah, I went ahead and played (with cheats). It seems this version does not use the extra code to mute the APU music during the dialogs. So, I guess this is done. Relikk, I will send you the Jap version IPS for you to test (just in case no other native code was destroyed in this port).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:02 AM by pepill0pev »

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Relikk, so far the US->JAP port was pretty simple (the addresses were off in the jap version). I just need to find one more area where I have to mute msu after Sagat finishes his dialog with Ryu going into the final battle. Simple enough. Only thing that sucks, I have to play there. Unless someone has a save state just before this part of the game loads. Yes, I am in lazy mode to do this myself at the moment.  ;)

UPDATE: Ah, I went ahead and played (with cheats). It seems this version does not use the extra code to mute the APU music during the dialogs. So, I guess this is done. Relikk, I will send you the Jap version IPS for you to test (just in case no other native code was destroyed in this port).
Amazing. Thanks so much for your work on this! Can't wait to see and especially hear it. Well, actually I can wait; it's just an expression. :P

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2018, 01:37 AM »
Patch is finished, here's the video that'll be attached to the release article on Zeldix. It contains the same playthrough twice, but with each soundtrack used. The arcade soundtrack is first, the arranged soundtrack begins at 25:31.

https://youtu.be/evghSEskeho

It'll be posted tomorrow.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Patch is finished, here's the video that'll be attached to the release article on Zeldix. It contains the same playthrough twice, but with each soundtrack used. The arcade soundtrack is first, the arranged soundtrack begins at 25:31.

OK, just did one playthrough with Sakura, SFZ2J, music-always, default difficulty, manual, normal speed on Super Nt. Two issues:

1) My first fight was with Birdie, and there was no music at all for both rounds. Dunno if this is a fluke, or an issue with Birdie specifically, or what, just did a quick test. But I started one more game, and the first fight was with Sodom, and everything was fine.
2) The little fanfare that plays on the world map screen moving to the start of the next match does not start at the beginning; it starts about halfway through, and this is consistent, despite working fine in Relikk's video of the US version above. So maybe some timing issue or something, dunno.

Offline Terminator2k2

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2018, 11:10 PM »

thanks for your time and effort for this msu1

Offline pepill0pev

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2018, 12:04 AM »
@Eyedunno Yup, I was able to reproduce it on my sd2snes. Remember, I said the JAP version address differences versus the US version. This will take me some time to debug.

UPDATE: Ok, the JAP version has slightly different track mappings versus its US counterpart. This is going to take some time to figure. This will require a recode (a direct US code port is not possible, too bad, it will delay a fix for sure). When I get around to it I will see where the differences are.

@Relikk  For now, I will remove the JAP version patch until I get the bugs worked out.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:13 AM by pepill0pev »