Author Topic: the ultimate way to everdrive!  (Read 3086 times)

Offline chstar

• View Profile
the ultimate way to everdrive!
« on: December 02, 2018, 10:52 PM »
So I finally finished my N64 mod!

step 1: buy an everdrive 64
step 2: buy replacement N64 joysticks and pieces from kitch to retighten your N64 controller. Take this time to clean your N64 controller as well

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears?fbclid=IwAR0IADYhJiWK5QmeVFQjhlb3AXbz6Nb_qYVfaGEQgq_4KSKXIXmsqPtwVxA

step 3: open up controllers and N64 and clean thoroughly
step 4: install LEDS in controllers and console

step 5: purchase and install ultra HDMI mod for N64. and alter N64 somewhat to allow for HDMI connection to N64. Ultra HDMI is a ‘chip’ you can solder into the CPU so that it outputs in true HD. This is done internally, digitally, before the signal is ever converted into analog for the purest and highest quality video output the N64 can produce.

https://www.game-tech.us/product/ultrahdmi/

step 6: hook up to new 75 inch 4K TV and enjoy! The results are great!

n64 level looked so crisp. Surpassing even CRT television results. For those of you who have ever tried playing your N64 on an HD TV, you know why this mod was worth it.

Footage of everdrive in action on moddled N64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZVjTS-LIdM

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
Re: the ultimate way to everdrive!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Nice mods, just in time before Christmas.
Goku lifting the TV  ;D
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Nice work! This is pretty much the ultimate N64! I have two shagged out N64 controllers. I think I will replace them with the Brawler 64 ones once they become available.
Dark ambient horror utilizing a completely-original synthesizer on YouTube, Bandcamp, and Facebook.

Offline chstar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 05:10 AM »

Goku lifting the TV  ;D

you know what's funny. I've shown these mod on a few gaming forums now and I get way more compliments for the Goku holding up TV set up than the mods themselves lol.

I have to admit, it does look good!

thanks for the compliment!

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 06:10 AM »
I have to admit the HDMI mod was installed very cleanly! I would like to mod a few of my consoles but I don't have a decent enough soldering iron yet.
Dark ambient horror utilizing a completely-original synthesizer on YouTube, Bandcamp, and Facebook.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Looks pretty sweet bro.  8)

Agree with the other poster that its pretty cool and funny you've got ol Goku lifting up the TV.  ;D

As an aside to finish this post out I believe we have the same modem model or close.  :-X
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline scx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 03:20 AM »
I have to admit the HDMI mod was installed very cleanly! I would like to mod a few of my consoles but I don't have a decent enough soldering iron yet.

You don’t need a decent soldering iron to solder ultra hdmi on your n64 I’ve done it with a low 35 watt iron + confidence + experience + leaded solder + topnik rf800 flux and a lot of patience - don’t be fooled into the world of 200$ iron stations - sure they can control and regulate heat at temperatures of your choice but it isn’t required. I even solder cpld and fpga by hand with a low wattage cheap iron and the key is simply the flux and your level of experience with said iron ( method of drag soldering / and removing excess solder with flux and technique of holding your iron at an angle to extract excess to a clean tip ) speaking of cleaning your tip brass wool ! Cheap and worth every penny use it as your soldering iron stand in a jam jar you will be laughing ;)

Online r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Neat! Though I have to say, seems a bit too overpowering for me judging from just the pictures, I did an LED mod as well, putting the LED's below the board to not have them shine directly into my eyes, a resistor was also helpful.

For my setup I got the eTim RGB board through RGB Scart to either my LCD or CRT's, luckily over here in Sweden our TV's from the 90's onwards support RGB at 60Hz natively. So the eTim board makes a lot more sense here than the HDMI mod, though I'm also a sucker for RGB on CRT's as well :P it looks just as good on a modern TV if you have something like an LG TV which has amazing analog to digital built in without blur or input lag using RGB Scart, otherwise if you're not in Europe a retrotink/ossc is what you should be looking for when playing in RGB on an LCD to achieve the same results as the HDMI mod and still keep RGB CRT compatibility.

Painted the bottom of the console and controllers white (it was transparent white originally), with a semi gloss finish.

Other than that, I restored the sticks to factory new by filling the worn bowls and gear rails with epoxy, (Tip: Use silicone grease to prevent N64 sticks from wearing) Highly recommend this fix! It's easy and costs nothing basically, doesn't wear down either, made a tutorial on it which you can find the link to in the album description. (For us in Europe buying replacement gears and bowls from Kitch is really expensive, and the Chinese GC styled sticks are pretty terrible since they gate the movement to 8 directions instead of being truly analog)

That's my advice for us in Europe or those who have an RGB compatible CRT :D

Album with my LED modded N64, and some CRT/LCD pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/apBGmA5

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 11:27 PM »
To each his own, but I'd consider an "ultimate" setup to be one running off a high quality CRT.

I group HDMI and digital TVs under the heading "trading authenticity for convenience." But if you're not sensitive to lag, by all means - go for it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:29 PM by Alvis »

Online r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 12:31 AM »
To each his own, but I'd consider an "ultimate" setup to be one running off a high quality CRT.

I group HDMI and digital TVs under the heading "trading authenticity for convenience." But if you're not sensitive to lag, by all means - go for it.

Depends, the LCD TV I have has about 11ms of lag, most LG or Samsung TV's have input lag that is less than a frame. (Avoid Sony TVs, but best is to do the research when buying a new TV)
Even with the analog RGB signal there's no added lag, but yeah, very few modern TV's will perform well with analog signals, at least in the US where RGB never was standardized.

Though I do agree that CRT's are the best experience, check my pictures of both the LCD and CRT on the imgur link I posted. The phosphors, scanlines etc really do great favors of rounding out the harsh pixels without blurring the image, the black levels (true black), brightness and colors of a CRT are unmatched.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 02:57 AM by r1ggles »

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 03:32 PM »
While reading through this thread a question came to mind; in the United States are LG HDTV's the best to play N64 games on with respect to input lag and picture quality? I'm talking about a non-modded N64 console pumping out S-Video.

I currently own a Sharp Aquos LCD TV and the N64 looks absolutely horrible on it - although the set is notable for very low input lag while in Game Mode.

42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV - good game mode for 480i consoles

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 10:08 PM »
I am no expert in input lag and contrast ratios, but I have had good experience with my Hitachi HD1080 Plasma. The games look good and the input keeps up with my bad reflexes. I have heard that many plasmas were good with input lag and colors.

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 10:34 PM »
I am no expert in input lag and contrast ratios, but I have had good experience with my Hitachi HD1080 Plasma. The games look good and the input keeps up with my bad reflexes. I have heard that many plasmas were good with input lag and colors.

I've heard that plasma televisions are good with older video game consoles but sadly they don't manufacture them anymore. 

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 07:55 AM »

I've heard that plasma televisions are good with older video game consoles but sadly they don't manufacture them anymore.

I can confirm.

I have a 60 inch Samsung Plasma HDTV and retro games on the Super NT, Framemeister and Hi Def NES mod look absolutely stunning on it.  8)
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline FrenchyToasty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Way too glowy for my tatstes but well done man!