Author Topic: SimCity Proto Released. Any chance for a fix?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
SimCity Proto Released. Any chance for a fix?
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Game loads but is a jumbled mess. Would be nice to play on the n8. Tested on the AVS with v20 r6 firmware.

Offline sqwirral

• View Profile
Re: SimCity Proto Released. Any chance for a fix?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 11:23 PM »
MMC5  :(

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 01:22 AM »
Game loads but is a jumbled mess. Would be nice to play on the n8. Tested on the AVS with v20 r6 firmware.
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7811.msg65562#msg65562
But yeah, MMC5 is shitting itself. XD
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline F34R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 04:44 AM »
Tested it with v1.6 on the NES, no go.  Tested v2.0 rc7 on the NT Mini, no go.  Tested on the NT Mini via sd card, still no go.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Tested it with v1.6 on the NES, no go.  Tested v2.0 rc7 on the NT Mini, no go.  Tested on the NT Mini via sd card, still no go.

OS v. 16 doesn't have the as much support for the MMC5 as the later v. 20 RCs have. Not sure where 1.6 and 2.0 comes from.

Edit: Tried SimCity proto on RC4 and it shows garbled graphics. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:42 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline F34R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 06:58 AM »

OS v. 16 doesn't have the as much support for the MMC5 as the later v. 20 RCs have. Not sure where 1.6 and 2.0 comes from.

Edit: Tried SimCity proto on RC4 and it shows garbled graphics.
It's the v20. I didn't notice there isn't a decimal.  So, my 2.0 rc7 is the v20 rc7.

Playing it via sd card with the NT Mini, it has less garbled graphics.  I can get all the way into the game on a map without issue.  Once on the game map, that's where the problems start when using the NT Mini + sd card.  Playing on the NT Mini with the N8 v20 rc7, it's garbled upon startup.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:00 AM by F34R »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Man, for years I have been hoping this game would surface. I got so excited earlier when I stumbled on the news, I went to put it on my Everdrive N8 flashcart without skipping a beat. So heartbroken when it loaded garbled graphic and learned that its using MMC5:( I hope it can get supported soon but had no luck with any of the new v20 beta so far.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 02:46 AM »
I just tried it [V20 rc6] and it seems very playable.  The first few title screens are garbled but the game itself runs fine.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 10:29 PM »
I just tried it [V20 rc6] and it seems very playable.  The first few title screens are garbled but the game itself runs fine.
It's not really playable when you can't see text or what scenario you are trying to play.
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Offline F34R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 04:18 AM »
What are you running it on? 

This is on the Analogue NT Mini:

If I use the N8, with v20 rc7 on the NT Mini, none of those screens that are correct will be there.  Everything is garbled.  I'll try it with rc6 though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:40 AM by F34R »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 08:30 AM »
My behavior was similar to Greg2600.  Garbled setup screens, but once in-game, it looked correct.  I was using v20 RC4, on a stock front-loader NES.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline F34R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Using v20 rc4, on the NT Mini, I also have the garbled starters screens, and then getting to the map is fine.  The admin screens that come up to adjust tax rate, etc., are still garbled up though.  So, while "close", it's definitely not playable in the real sense of playable.

If we can roll the NT Mini solution with the N8 solution lol, it might be all playable.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 12:43 AM »
My behavior was similar to Greg2600.  Garbled setup screens, but once in-game, it looked correct.  I was using v20 RC4, on a stock front-loader NES.

Ditto, granted my FL'er has the RGB board in it, but RC6 works as I said. 

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 12:12 AM »
RC4 on an Av Famicom, titlescreen garbled.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 04:38 AM »
RC4 on an Av Famicom, titlescreen garbled.
It should be corrupt no matter what version you use. I explained this in another thread. The game is possibly using a bank switching scheme not used in any released game. I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix, as it's glitched on emulators like Nestopia UE. FCEUX is the only the emu so far that can play it with no problems.
Now that Sim City NES is out, there appear to be emulation problems with MMC5. From the title screen all the way up until the the scenario/practice maps load, the graphics are garbage, possibly due to flaws in the bank switching for MMC5. on Nestopia UE, it's the reverse. Only the map, when the scenario is loaded, shows garbage graphics. FCEUX can emulate the game perfectly (SO FAR, from what I tested, that is), showing no corrupt graphics, which rules out my suspicion that the dump was bad. Any other emulator, is anyone's guess.

This just a heads up. I don't know if this could be fixed in the next few updates, as the game could be using some part of MMC5 that was never utilized by any released game.

EDIT: This was on OS v20-RC7 IIRC, as I don't remember which v20 RC version I had. Tested on an Original Famicom.

Here's the ROM image data, taken from Nestopia UE:

File:         Sim City (USA) (Proto).nes
Directory:    H:\Famicom\ROMS\Protos\
Soft-patched: No
CRC:          FDC7C50B
SHA-1:        5E8F67BEFB2B1BCBD0384E3144ACB2766FC3E443
System:       NES-NTSC
Board:        EKROM, Mapper 5
PRG-ROM:      128k
CHR-ROM:      128k
W-RAM:        8k
Solder Pad:   H:1 V:0
Battery:      Yes
File:         Sim City (USA) (Proto).sav
Directory:    H:\EDFC\SAVE\
Dump:         Unknown