Author Topic: I love my EverDrive 64!  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
I love my EverDrive 64!
« on: December 28, 2018, 12:40 AM »
So happy to finally be using these babies again!

I'm gonna say that the F-Zero X: Expansion Kit alone justifies what I paid for my ED64, but being able to easily play games like Wave Race 64: Shindou Edition make my purchase even sweeter.  :)

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
Re: I love my EverDrive 64!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:04 AM »
I have been playing Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 with a translation hack, so indeed it has been worth the price of admission :).
Dark ambient horror utilizing a completely-original synthesizer on YouTube, Bandcamp, and Facebook.

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 02:55 PM »
I have been playing Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 with a translation hack, so indeed it has been worth the price of admission :).

Looking forward to giving that a try as well! This picture from my N64 cartridge collection ought to tell you why.  ;)

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:14 PM »
There are some more hacks coming too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpVGEjxO5I

I have also tried the Goldfinger 64 hack which is a really good total conversion for Goldeneye, just had to change the save memory type in the ED menu for the game. Also there is Goldeneye X which adds all of the Goldeneye characters and Weapons into the better Perfect Dark multiplayer.

It's amazing that there is modded games coming out for the N64 in 2018 (soon 2019).
Dark ambient horror utilizing a completely-original synthesizer on YouTube, Bandcamp, and Facebook.

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 03:55 AM »
The EverDrive 64 is a wonderful device for me since I still play my N64 on a CRT TV.

Now that I finally own an ED64 I can keep all my original cartridges neatly tucked away and in pristine condition.  :)

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:58 AM »
KI Gold! Rare had awesome games on the N64. My favorite is Glacius with the blood red alternate colors. I remember that fire effect being really cool, I wonder if it was a more advanced version of this: http://fabiensanglard.net/doom_fire_psx/

When I was a teenager my friends and I would try to beat each other's top scores. In fact one of my friends cried when we beat his top combo score. That bad karma came back to get me now because I am barely fast enough to do any combos on KI anymore.

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 03:08 PM »
I didn't really care too much for Killer Instinct Gold when it was originally released. That's probably because I was playing tons of Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the PlayStation around that time. As most serious fighting game enthusiasts are aware, SFA2 has glorious animation and silky-smooth gameplay while KIG feels crude and choppy by comparison. Around ten years ago, however, I decided to give Gold another try and became addicted to the diversity provided by its combo system. Now it rivals Mortal Kombat Trilogy as my favorite straight-up fighting game on the Nintendo 64. Needless to say, I have both ROMs on my EverDrive 64 and frequent them often.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 10:56 PM »
It's amazing that there is modded games coming out for the N64 in 2018 (soon 2019).

Probably largely due to Marshall H creator of the N64 Ultra HDMI board and other N64 gadgets, but in particular his own N64 flash cart which I won't directly name here out of respect for being on the krikzz forum wherein krikzz products are likely all we should be directly advertising here by name.  :P

Yeah though just saying apparently Marshall's own take on an N64 flash cart really helps hackers/coders/programmers what have you more easily get into N64 home brew game creation, modding of existing games, etc.

He just recently released a newer revision of it too.
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 04:01 AM »
Random comment: The No Intro N64 ROM set is amazing!

My intention now is to go through all the N64 games that I never had the opportunity to play before I got my EverDrive 64.

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 04:33 AM »
I didn't know about the history of Marshall H in figuring out the N64 flash card, but I looked it up and it's really cool, including his ultra HDMI mods as well. Definitely a name that shouldn't be forgotten.

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 02:28 AM »
I'm lucky to have a small backup CRT TV so I don't need to spend the money on modding my N64 with the HDMI kit.

When I really want to play my favorite N64 games on an HDTV, I usually do so via the Virtual Console on my Wii.  ;)

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 05:37 AM »
Do you have the RGB mod for your N64 Grizzmeister or are you saying you enjoy the Nintendo factory provided S-video for the Nintendo 64 on your CRT televisions well enough?  :P 8)
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 09:46 AM »
N64 is teh best when played with RGB mod, OSSC and a 120" screen for a projector ^^ I recommend good cables though. Retro gaming Cables is a good idea in that case. I put sync on PIN 3 when modding my N64 and thus used a Gamecube RGB cable. Best image evar!

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 02:40 PM »
Do you have the RGB mod for your N64 Grizzmeister or are you saying you enjoy the Nintendo factory provided S-video for the Nintendo 64 on your CRT televisions well enough?  :P 8)

I'm in the United States so S-Video to my CRT TV is good enough for me. I don't own an official Nintendo brand S-Video cable but I do have the purple colored Monster brand S-Video cable that, by most accounts, is actually superior. The Monster cable is thicker with better shielding and when I use that cable the picture quality on my CRT is really quite impressive. I will mention, though, that games like Mario Kart 64 still look better when I play the Virtual Console version and that's because I connect my Wii to either my CRT or HD television via component cables.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Quote from: Grizzmeister
I'm in the United States so S-Video to my CRT TV is good enough for me. I don't own an official Nintendo brand S-Video cable but I do have the purple colored Monster brand S-Video cable that, by most accounts, is actually superior. The Monster cable is thicker with better shielding and when I use that cable the picture quality on my CRT is really quite impressive. I will mention, though, that games like Mario Kart 64 still look better when I play the Virtual Console version and that's because I connect my Wii to either my CRT or HD television via component cables.

Oh ok. Good stuff. I just asked out of pure and simple curiosity is all.  :P

You don't have to worry about your setup at all either as far as being good enough goes, as the youtuber MyLifeInGaming channel guys did a side by side comparison of the RGB mod and the Nintendo factory built in S-video and couldn't find any real discernable difference.