Author Topic: EVERDRIVE GG X7 "MEMORY ERROR"  (Read 1216 times)

Offline soulfunkdjx

• View Profile
EVERDRIVE GG X7 "MEMORY ERROR"
« on: May 29, 2020, 12:15 AM »
Hello everybody. Today i received the everdrive gg x7 but unfortunately i can't make it play. I always receiving a message when i boot my console "memory error"!!!
I don't know what i am doing wrong or maybe the card is faulty.
I am using for sd card a Sandisc 16GB Class 4 and i have copied in the root of the sd card a folder named SMSSYS and inside that folder there is a file named SMSOS.BIN.
Do i need to do anything else? It seems i can't find any guide.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Offline soulfunkdjx

• View Profile
Re: EVERDRIVE GG X7 "MEMORY ERROR"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:30 AM »
I finaly managed to make it play with a strange way. I powered on my Game Gear with no everdrive inside and then i push the everdrive inside console and is booting up normally. Strange but it works. Maybe it has to do with my mod, i have installed the McWill screen. I don't know. The only thing that matters is that is working great even if i have to do it that way. Thanks again.

Offline soulfunkdjx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:24 PM »
Does anyone knows why is not booting normally my cartidge?
Also when i am trying to play Master system and sg-1000 gamesthe colours are ok but the image is not centered on the screen.
Except the folder named SMSSYS (inside that folder there is a file named SMSOS.BIN) is there any other file that i must copy to the sd card?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 02:49 AM »
The Game Gear does something to the screen, but I don't know if it's supposed to be off-center or not. I guess it could be the McWill screen's fault as well.
How many games did you try? Does it happen uniformly with every game you try?

And btw, hotplugging the cartridge sounds dangerous and could possibly break something. I think you should tell both the McWill producer and Krikzz about the problem.
Do your Game Gear have a BIOS or not?

Offline BuckRight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 01:42 PM »
Hello. I have just tested 10 SG-1000 games. MY GG has the original screen. It is my original GG as well. I had it re-capped, professionally, otherwise it is 100% stock. The SG-1000 games play fine and are centered on the screen.

I tested these games:
Bomb Jack (Taiwan) (English Logo)
Champion Billiards (Japan)
Champion Golf (Japan)
Championship Lode Runner (Japan)
Choplifter (Taiwan) (English Logo)
Elevator Action (Japan)
Galaga (Taiwan)
Monaco GP (Japan)
Pitfall II - The Lost Caverns (Japan)
Space Invaders (Japan)

//edit

I just tried about 20 SMS games and they all play fine. They were all centered on screen and played without issue.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:58 PM by BuckRight »

Offline Golden Mean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 05:42 AM »
I have a McWill screen and the VGA output.  No problems.  Could be how it was modded?

Offline soulfunkdjx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 11:12 AM »
The Game Gear does something to the screen, but I don't know if it's supposed to be off-center or not. I guess it could be the McWill screen's fault as well.
How many games did you try? Does it happen uniformly with every game you try?

And btw, hotplugging the cartridge sounds dangerous and could possibly break something. I think you should tell both the McWill producer and Krikzz about the problem.
Do your Game Gear have a BIOS or not?

1) I have tested a lot of Master System and sg-1000 games and every game was off-center
2) How can i contact Krikzz?
3) What do you mean BIOS?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 11:28 AM »
1) OK so it's not a software problem. And thanks to BuckRight and Gold Mean we know that it's not a compatibility problem with the GG, McWill or the Everdrive.

2) There's a form here: https://krikzz.com/store/contact-us, or you could try PM him.

3) It's not really a BIOS, just a rom that does a few checks and then launches the cartridge rom, but everyone calls it a BIOS for some reason. All Master Systems and possibly Mark III has one, but not all Game Gears do. If you have a bootrom, you should probably see a special screen that is always the same no matter what game you boot. You should also probably see a screen (with a logo or some text or something) when booting without a cartridge.

Offline soulfunkdjx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 02:12 PM »
1) OK so it's not a software problem. And thanks to BuckRight and Gold Mean we know that it's not a compatibility problem with the GG, McWill or the Everdrive.

2) There's a form here: https://krikzz.com/store/contact-us, or you could try PM him.

3) It's not really a BIOS, just a rom that does a few checks and then launches the cartridge rom, but everyone calls it a BIOS for some reason. All Master Systems and possibly Mark III has one, but not all Game Gears do. If you have a bootrom, you should probably see a special screen that is always the same no matter what game you boot. You should also probably see a screen (with a logo or some text or something) when booting without a cartridge.

Only when trying to play with everdrive i have that problem. My original cartidges are playing fine.
Sometimes is everdrive is booting normally without the need of taking out and reinserting the cartidge, but is like 1 time on 25 tries!
I don't have any BIOS then as you told me. It just showing me the SEGA logo when booting official cartidges and when is booting everdrive it says initialising os. So i don't have BIOS.
I think i am gonna buy one more GAME GEAR console (without McWill screen) because i am so so curious what's going on.
When i have news i'll post them.
Thank you guys for your time.

Offline soulfunkdjx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 02:54 PM »
Ok guys the mystery solved!!! The everdrive gg x7 is not faulty. My McWill mod is not also faulty. The problem is from the Game Gear. I bought a new one console which is NTSC region and the everdrive cartidge is working great! Also the master system and sg-1000 games are now screen-centered and with the right colours. I think the old Game Gear must be another region or it has no bios on it as the member "nuu" posted above. The new Game gear when is poweed on i get a screen with a text and then is booting to the everdrive. The old game gear has not that text when i am powering it on. Maybe Krikzz must fix it to a newer update. I hope that it will help others too.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Thanks for reporting back to us.

Maybe the EDGG has problems with BIOS-less systems as you say.
I think all Game Gears are NTSC (in other words they all have the hardware of an NTSC SMS, never PAL hardware). They can have one of two possible regions: Domestic (Japan) and export (non-Japan), but that only affects things like language in games that detects region. I don't think that would affect this?

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Perhaps the old Gamegear had a faulty cartridge slot. I have one with a broken pin.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline soulfunkdjx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 08:01 AM »
Perhaps the old Gamegear had a faulty cartridge slot. I have one with a broken pin.
I don't think so as it is playing normal all the official cartidges.