Author Topic: ED64 Plus Problem  (Read 987 times)

Offline CantUserNameGood

• View Profile
ED64 Plus Problem
« on: May 25, 2019, 07:13 AM »
Every game (I've played so far) saves fine except Mario Party 3, every-time I play a little bit of story mode then quit and come back I ALWAYS get a message saying "since your save data was corrupted all save data has been deleted", and I know FOR A FACT I pressed the reset button and let it go back to the menu before shutting off or going to another game, and the SD Card that came with it still has PLENTY of room for the save file, so what's the problem? is this common or am I just having bad luck or something?

Save type is the default EEP16K (16KBit EEPROM) of course if that helps.

Also don't embarrass yourself by crucifying me over using the WAY less expensive version of the Everdrive 64 AKA the only version my parents could possibly get me, that's just dumb, either be helpful or don't bother.

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
Re: ED64 Plus Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Here is support only for OFFICIAL everdrives,no clones,srry.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:15 PM »
It's nothing against you personally.  Think of it as you're posting to the Coca Cola forum for help with a generic store cola.  They're similar products but even if Coke wanted to help, they wouldn't know where to start since they are still different products. 

You'll have better luck posting to reddit.  I've seen some posts there with help for the ED64 Plus. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:26 PM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 03:13 AM »
Also don't embarrass yourself by crucifying me over using the WAY less expensive version of the Everdrive 64 AKA the only version my parents could possibly get me, that's just dumb, either be helpful or don't bother.

It really isn't anything personal, you're just not likely to find many people on the official boards using the knock off product made by another company. Though unfortunately, you do get what you pay for...
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 04:13 AM »
Ed64 plus == garbage  ::)
And so I go fast.

Offline r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Ugh, I shouldn't mention this as I don't like people buying knock offs... please buy the real thing. But seeings as you already have one and I rather see it not just thrown away either. (not to mention how it costs about as much as a real everdrive)
It does run custom firmware, do some google searches and you'll find how to run the newer firmware on it, that'll let you run all games on it that you can on a regular everdrive. (it won't work on some versions of the clone either)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 06:28 PM »
(not to mention how it costs about as much as a real everdrive)

It shouldn't be, usually its about half the price of a real Everdrive brand ($65 to $80 or so)... But if people are charging a price that's close to an actual Ever Drive, then they are really cheating the buyers...

if people are paying attention at least it isn't calling itself an actual "Ever DRive"... its "ED64", yes the ED is blatantly taken from Ever Drive, but at least like many other 'knockoffs' out there it isn't trying to look like the product its based inspired by, using the exact same name. It's shell looks nothing like anything Krikkz or Stone Age Gamer uses.

Note: I've heard mixed messages on if the flashcart steals 'Everdrive" firmware/menu code or if it has its own menu/software. If it stealing firmware code that should be definitely be criticized.... But if they use their own, I'd just consider them' competition, but not nearly as good as Krikkz brand stuff.. THere are alot of competing flashcarts out there, many others that don't try to use a name based on the competion... But nothing out there is as good as Krikkz stuff...

But in the end it's that price that makes it tempting to some people....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPakFSoiQB8

Some people really don't understand why Krikkz cost so much and they stupidly think Krikkz should lower his price to 'compete' with the rest ot he 'market'... But they don't realize Krikkz uses premium components, stands behind his products, offers good warranty services, and exceptional build quality compared to everything on the market.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:39 PM by Galron »

Offline r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 07:01 PM »
(not to mention how it costs about as much as a real everdrive)
Note: I've heard mixed messages on if the flashcart steals 'Everdrive" firmware/menu code or if it has its own menu/software. If it stealing firmware code that should be definitely be criticized.... But if they use their own, I'd just consider them' competition, but not nearly as good as Krikkz brand stuff..

It's comparable in price to the older Everdrive 64's where you have to press reset to let it save (depending on where you live) to me since I'm in Europe and both the dollar being high and import tax being a thing it costs more than the real thing. (based on aliexpress price of ~75-80 for the newer version of that flashcart)

It uses a modified older Everdrive 64 menu (I think v2?). Either way, custom firmware makes it work the same way as the original (save manager, cheats, more settings, same game compatibility) which is something few people know about, reason I know was when helping a friend online with that, the file structure is the same, except named differently. There's one with a cartridge slot and another earlier one, from what I gather it's a gamble which one you'd get on top of that, not to mention no support if it stops working etc.

But yeah, it's definitely a ripoff and not fair competition.

Edit: https://www.retrotowers.co.uk/everdrive-64-cartridge-shell here's an Everdrive 64 v2.5 for 90 pounds, the knockoff would cost me 80 in that currency, then +7 as the standard import fee here and 25% import tax. Same features except better build quality.

V3 on the other hand is overpriced imo, considering the only benefits are no need for resetting and real time clock for Animal Crossing. But it's not like that's the only flashcart he has.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:14 PM by r1ggles »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Ahh, where I live I think the Everdrive 64 2.5 which the Plus is most comparable to in features... Is around $140-150, and the v3 is $200 or so. The general price of the ED64 without cost of shipping is $65-85 which is roughly the price of a everdrive 64 1.0 I think (if you can still find those)?
V3 on the other hand is overpriced imo, considering the only benefits are no need for resetting and real time clock for Animal Crossing. But it's not like that's the only flashcart he has.

Well it also has USB built in for home development use though, but that's going to be useless to most average gamers... SD2SNES apparently uses its USB for 'link play' on some fan games...

EverDrive 2.5 and up added the CIC chip I think? Which helped with games from other regions, and copy protection, but that can be bypassed through hacked roms anyways... I think the dedicated ram on the v3 makes it easier to run 64DD games, but again those can be hacked to run on 2.5 as well?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:29 PM by Galron »

Offline r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 08:35 PM »
I think the dedicated ram on the v3 makes it easier to run 64DD games, but again those can be hacked to run on 2.5 as well?
They work fine on 2.5 (and the clone) boot fast and everything, however saving 64DD games takes several mintues to complete, something like 8min or something lol, I just skip saving usually, the thing I'm mainly interested in is the exclusive f zero tracks. But fair point about using the USB port and development, saves a ton of time from taking out the SD card every time.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 08:46 PM »
Ick, long saves! Yikes, especially if you have to hold down the button the entire time! (as is recommended on the ED64 clone)..

I bought Ultra Everdrive (aka V3) from Stone Age Gamer on a black friday sale, so that helped cut a bit of the high price down... I think I payed roughly 160-180 after adding in their light pipes, black case (it cost a litlte more), and collector's box. But you could get cheapest v3 model for 140-150 I think which was around the price of 2.5 on a normal day in most US shops/Krikkz directly...

I think that USB slot can be used to hack in Pokemon Stadium pokemon transfering too, assuming you don't have the adapter, but I'm not sure on this... I havne't played that game and don't know much about it...

I'm definitely happy with the V3, no problems, no mess, works like a charm with most games! Since I have NA tvs/console only the PAL games offer issues, since most haven't been fully patched to work with NTSC yet.

ONly game I really should look for all accessories for if I want completism is the stuff for Hey You, Pikachu (voice recognition) so rom is useless by itself, and possibly the stadium games?

Offline r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 09:45 PM »
-

You don't have to hold down the reset button on either of them, just a single press and it will save, non 64DD games save almost instantly, the clone one has been used for over a year, though idk how frequently he uses it, but we did try out the new 3dfix patches for Mario 64 hacks recently.

PAL games should work if you play through RGB. Though idk how common RGB TV's are over there, over here it's the standard for both CRT's and modern TVs, have no issues playing games from any region in 60Hz (eTim's newer RGB board with deblur using RGB Scart).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:47 PM by r1ggles »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 09:57 PM »
-

You don't have to hold down the reset button on either of them, just a single press and it will save, non 64DD games save almost instantly, the clone one has been used for over a year, though idk how frequently he uses it, but we did try out the new 3dfix patches for Mario 64 hacks recently.

PAL games should work if you play through RGB. Though idk how common RGB TV's are over there, over here it's the standard for both CRT's and modern TVs, have no issues playing games from any region in 60Hz (eTim's newer RGB board with deblur using RGB Scart).

Perhaps so, but this review was claiming having to hold down 'longer' on an ED64 Plus for certain games or it would have corrupt saves.

True RGB is not common in the states. We didn't get SCART. NA N64 only have Composite, and S-Video.

Didn't even have 'component' like Super NIntendo has IIRC?

N64 console modding for RGB or HDMI might get around the graphics limitations, and PAL video issues, but those are more expensive options.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:01 PM by Galron »

Offline r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 01:58 PM »

Perhaps so, but this review was claiming having to hold down 'longer' on an ED64 Plus for certain games or it would have corrupt saves.

Maybe the version that reviewer has, I've researched this cart out of curiosity quite a bit and there seems to be multiple versions, some are not compatible with the custom firmware. Corrupted saves hasn't been an issue in any save type. Maybe that's the case for the firmware it shipped with, since that one also has some pretty bad compatibility. (Just goes to show that it's not worth the risk buying a clone, but if you're unfortunate to already have one it's worth seeing if it's useful with the custom firmware or not)

As for eTims board being expensive? It costs 48AUS, which is 33 dollars, with shipping and a 10 dollar RGB scart it's about a 50-60 dollars total (keep in mind to cut the composite trace to get a perfectly clean video and audio signal for chinese scart cables, and enable deblur, removing that vaseline layer looks amazing). Considering the huge picture quality upgrade I'd say it's worth it. Though in the US I think a scalerbox is needed, which does shoot up the overall cost... So it depends. Still way less then the HDMI mod, keeps your system CRT compatible (best for low framerate games as well as looking nicer), you can use the scalerbox for all your systems, and has pretty much on par razor sharp picture quality on modern displays as long as you don't sit a foot away from the screen.

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
    • MySite
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 01:22 AM »
As far as I know, Pressing the reset button or holding it makes no difference - The N64 gets a reset call and starts the reset procedure the moment the button hits the bottom of travel. the button is just like pressing start in Goldeneye, press or hold the watch still comes up.

Trev