Author Topic: Shiren the Wanderer 2 N64 Translation  (Read 10653 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: Shiren 2 Translation
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 06:40 PM »
This may not be a problem for others, but even with the save_db.txt that's recommended out there, Shiren constantly says corrupted Journal 1 and corrupted Journal 2.  I had to add the following line to my save_db.txt:

SI=3      (Fushigi no Dungeon - Furai no Shiren 2 - Oni Shuurai! Shiren Jou!)

Now it works just fine.  I'm adding this above too.  Shiren uses a controller pak as well, though it looks like it's just for transferring your save files between carts.

If you have a 64drive, that also does not have Shiren's save set properly.  When you choose the game, change it to 256K before Loading.

The translation is going well.  We should have a 1st draft of the text (not including text in textures) before the end of the year.  It's exciting to see the game come together so quickly!  The translator is doing an awesome job! 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:42 PM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Thanks for that, I've put it in the save_db.txt thread at https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6126.msg47751#msg47751

Good to hear that the translation is coming on well!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 10:54 PM »
Which save type is "3" and "256K" on the 64drive? I remember Shiren used to be incorrectly set to FLASH by the Everdrive 64 years ago, and all save types except SRAM and SRAM128 gave the corrupted journal error. I never knew which one was correct though, since both seemed to work.

Edit:
I guess it must be "SRAM" as it's 256kbit (32kByte) and SRAM128 is 1204kbit (128kByte).
Units like "kilobit" and "Megabit" are always causing me trouble.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:55 PM by nuu »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 03:00 AM »
@Kerr Avon: Wow!  That was fast - thanks for updating that Kerr Avon!

@nuu: Yep yep.  It's still set to FLASH on the ED64.  It's just None/Controller Pak on the 64Drive.  I let Marshallh know and got a response back that he's going to update the 64drive so it correctly chooses SRAM as well.

EDIT: By the way, here are the options available when using a Controller Pak. 

As you can see, it's pretty much just backing up save files.  SRAM holds 2 save files and the Controller Pak can hold 3.  The rest of the space in SRAM appears to be used by the Leaderboards.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:22 AM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 11:04 PM »
It only affects a few items, but when you have multiple items now, it adds an 's' onto the end of it (e.g. 1 Voucher vs 83 Vouchers).  On paper it's a simple hack, but it took a few days to get it right. 

Along the way, there was a fun error that caused a random person to walk onto the location name screen.  They would walk on, reach a certain part of the screen and turn around.  Then they would wait with you for the screen to go away (it never did). 

Normally this is just a black screen with white text and it's up for maybe 5-10 seconds before loading the game.

Other than that, I've done some work to make sure the 6-7 character name works in as many places as possible.  There are still 1 or 2 places that will need some interesting solutions.  I've expanded a bunch of window widths.  I did some work with adding back in the Debug Menu and getting text to work better.  Next up is some more work on the text spreadsheets to make the jumps better (e.g. jump to this text or that text).

The translator is doing some amazing work.  Every day the game looks better and better.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Thanks for the updates!

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: Shiren the Wanderer 2 N64 Translation
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 11:35 PM »
It's been a busy few weeks since the last update.  Here's what we've been up to:

For the few places that use 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, ... 99th, I updated it to use the proper ending (st, nd, rd, th) since Japanese does not use that.

The lower screen that shows the player's location, stats, etc. had to be expanded for the longer location names.

While tracking down all the game's text so he can test it, our amazing translator found a hidden room that probably very few people have seen.  He's played through the game quite a few times growing up and in the last few months but has never seen this room before.  We won't show you its location, but here's the current text for the person in it.  The sign in the back is where the real hidden text will be located...

Finally, the translator is doing another playthrough focused on fixing text widths so everything looks better.

I'm working on a glitch caused by the translation hack at the moment.  In Japanese a guy steps back and throws a few punches.  In English he disappears and a weapon looks like it takes a swing.  Quite a few other glitches have been fixed, but there are some persistent ones.

It's exciting but busy times :)

EDIT: Fixed the punching glitch.  My scripts accidentally identified a command variable character as a Japanese character.   A month or two ago I found out that some of the command characters don't have a fixed number of command variable characters which could lead to this problem.  I'm hoping the rest of the issues are tied to this.  I'd rather not spend the next few months tracking down all the different command characters and figuring out which variables cause them to use more variables :)  On to the next issue.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:34 PM by ozidual »

Offline daneeall

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 09:12 AM »
crawling feet in anticipation of an exciting

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 09:12 PM »
Back when I played N64 games I never really messed around with Controller Pak stuff.  At the time I didn't have my own N64 so most of my experience was late nights playing 007 or Smash with my roomates on their N64.  So I was surprised when I stumbled on the Controller Pak screen for Shiren last week.  You hold start down when you power it on and there it is.  I tried it on other games and sure enough, most of the Japanese games that use a Controller Pak (including Getter Love) have their own contrller pak screen.  It seems to be a bit rarer on US released N64 games, but that could just be the games I tried.

The controller pak has it's own character mapping that isn't ASCII:

0-9: 0x10 - 0x19
A-Z: 0x1A - 0x33

Then there's some punctuation (0x34 - 0x44) followed by Katakana characters (0x45 - 0x94)

We went ahead and translated the Shiren Controller Pak Menu:

and here's a patch with that translation (and nothing else): Download

As for the rest of the game, it is very actively being translated.  Right now the focus is on the 99 N'Dubba descriptions (I expect all of you to read every single one! :D).  We're also focusing now on text in texture format.  I got a large chunk of the textures extracted and the translator is working through those.  This includes screens with area names, characters with signs, and a few other things...

I also decided to try my hand at creating an Initials screen after the Name screen.  I think I mentioned it before, but Shiren originally only had 4 characters for the Name screen.  It was expanded to 6 but there was one place where this expansion didn't quite fit - the Leader Boards.  So, I added a 2nd Name screen after the 1st for a 3 letter name (your initials).  That way the Leader Boards can be like old school gaming leader boards where it lists your initials in the top 10/30.  Now you can name your character Shiren, but use your initials for the leader boards.

Moving forward, on the hacking side of things I've caught up quite a lot.  There are some more text errors I need to work on surrounding Castle and Material building.  I have some further ideas on other areas as well.  We'll see.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 10:56 PM »
The controller pak menu is usually mentioned in the manual for games that uses controller paks, sometimes you can access the menu in-game as well.

It seems Nintendo didn't include a standard menu in their SDK because every game have their own menu, many without support for all valid characters in file names. Or maybe Nintendo uses different character mappings for different regions like on the Gamecube. Non-Japanese games often doesn't seem to support Japanese characters anyway.

I usually use Ganbare Goemon: Neo Momoyama Bakufu no Odori when managing controller paks, because Japanese characters works and you can access the menu from the options menu. I added a note about it in the compatibility list.

I checked the SDK and it says each save file have the following header:

1. Company code ( 2 bytes)
2. Game code (initial code) ( 4 bytes)
3. Note name (16 bytes)
4. Note extension ( 4 bytes)

Company and game codes are in ASCII while note name (which is the file name) "is described using the N64 font code system". This encoding seems to be converted to from JIS by some tool in the SDK.

Aha I found it!
http://n64devkit.square7.ch/pro-man/pro26/26-03.htm#05-02

Some ASCII characters and katakana seems to be allowed. Also there are two fonts: FONTSIZE_E (roman letters only) and FONTSIZE_J (roman and katakana). That explains why some games don't support names with katakana, Nintendo allows it.
At least they don't use two different region-specific file systems for controller paks like on Gamecube memory cards.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 12:23 AM »
Good info there.  That font matches Shiren's Controller Pak font exactly.  The rest of it matches what I can see too.  I think Company code is probably the Publisher code since Shiren uses 01 - Nintendo (Zoinkity has a mostly complete list published out there).  Looking at the Controller Pak file for Shiren in 4 bytes chunks:

4E53494A
NSIJ [Shiren's Game ID]

30310005 [file 2 is 3031002D]
01 (and a pointer) [0x0005 points to 0x500 and 0x002D points to 0x2D00]
[each file in Shiren SRAM is 0x2800 long, space for 2 files and the rest is Leaderboards]
[Controller Pak can hold 0x8000 or 3 Shiren save files making 0x7800 + 0x500 header]

(Unsure, possibly has to do with the length)

11000000 [File 2 is 12000000]
(Note Extension + 0x000000) [0x11 = 1, 0x12 = 2]

6B527651 685B794F 120F893B 5F000000
フウライノシレン2-デ-タ [Shiren 2's Controller Pak Data Name]

I'm sure this sort of info is available somewhere else, but I like discovering this stuff as I go along.   Good info - thank you!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 02:56 PM »
I guess "Leaderboards" is the data for the High Score screen.

The controller pak menu looks very nice and clean. Using the default font, I wouldn't be surprised if they are just using an example program from the SDK with no modification.
I like the simplicity of it. If only there was an option in the main menu to get to it I'd use Shiren 2 as my default controller pak browser.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Yep yep, there is a leader board for each dungeon in the game.  I haven't traced out too much in it, but it creates a score for you whether you complete the dungeon or die in it.

Funny you should mention that - back when I first found the Controller Pak Menu, I was looking for the same thing so I tracked down the check for press start.  I haven't tested it when there is no Controller Pak inserted.  It might just crash if that's the case, but I'm hoping it has a separate check for that.

Here's a version of the patch from a few posts before that always boots to the Controller Pak Menu first: Download

Offline johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2019, 09:37 PM »
wow, amazing progres with the translation :) you are great Ozi

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2019, 01:56 AM »
this looks great :)