Author Topic: SD2SNES DIAGNOSTICS "RAM FAILED" / Kirby Super Star with v1.9.0 not working  (Read 5657 times)

Offline BambooShadow

• View Profile
    • BambooShadow @ twitch.tv
I just ran the diagnostics tool. Everything looked fine, except for "RAM FAILED":

TEST SUMMARY
============

flash check:   1111-4-33b04504-dfb09a7f-b8-11-0 
Test      Result
----------------
SD        Passed
USB       not implemented
RTC       Passed
CIC       no run
FPGA      Passed
RAM       FAILED
SD DMA    Passed
CLK       Passed
DAC       not implemented
SNES IRQ  Passed
SNES RAM  Passed
SNES PA   Passed

full log:
https://pastebin.com/FcUzCq3E

Something i should worry about?

greetings
bamboo
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:17 PM by BambooShadow »

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES DIAGNOSTICS "RAM FAILED"
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 06:10 PM »
This is the RAM1 chip (a CY62148EV30LL-45ZSXI SRAM memory IC):

The test firmware failing the RAM1 test means: there may be a cold solder joint on the chip itself or on one of its connections directly on the FPGA... OR the chip is broken. You may want to try to reflow/resolder its pins/connections or (if that doesn't fix it) replace the whole chip.

Afaik the RAM1 memory is only used for the GSU1/SuperFX enhancement chip core. So... aside from that: other games (probably) will work just fine.

Offline BambooShadow

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES DIAGNOSTICS "RAM FAILED"
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Oh that's really interesting regarding the actual trouble I'm having these days:
I wanted to play "Kirby Super Star (=KSS)" on the SD2SNES, and since 1.9.0 supports SA-1, the game should work! It doesn't though on my SD2SNES...

Are there any hardware revisions that might be a problem? I bought by SD2SNES off krikzz at 23-Dec-2017

Thanks for your replies!

Greetings
bamboo
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:16 PM by BambooShadow »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
I found the only issue with Kirby Super Star is the USA and Europe versions having issues the Japanese one oddly has none of those issues at all.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline BambooShadow

• View Profile
it's a rev. H 2016-04-13 btw...

@Richardragon87: the problem occurs with all versions of the game :-(

@TomKeller: the solder on the chip actually looks OK, so I dunno...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:17 PM by BambooShadow »

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
Probably the SA-1 core makes use of the SRAM too - i don't know. I only know for sure: the SuperFX core does. Just test some other SA-1 games... and maybe some SuperFX games. If all of them refuse to work properly (while every other game does) it's most likely the very same SRAM problem.

Cold solder joints are fairly hard to see with lead free solder. Someone on another forum had a similar problem:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fcircuit-board.de%2Fforum%2Findex.php%2FThread%2F27447-SD2SNES-Firmware-1-9-0-ist-da%2F%3FpageNo%3D1

Even though the RAM1 chip looked decently soldered he did resolder all its pins... and that did the trick.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:17 PM by TomKeller »

Offline BambooShadow

• View Profile
Unfortunately I have two left hands and no soldering skills :-(

I asked a friend who bought his SD2SNES off a british seller in October 2018, whether he could test KSS with firmware v1.9.0 -->and it worked!

His board is a Rev. F, 2017-11-10 and looks like this:

Offline BambooShadow

• View Profile
Another friend who bought his SD2SNES 07-Apr-2018 from Krikzz tested with v1.9.0 KSS and it worked!
He refuses to open his shell though to check the hardware revision :D

I'm really confused so far... but yeah, the not working RAM is sure something that could cause these problems...
Anyone knows someone in germany who could help me soldering-wise?

Greetings
bamboo

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
There shouldn't be any differences in functionality between different board revisions (except when it comes to the volume for MSU1 audio output)... which means: KSS should run the same way on a Rev. E1 board as it runs on a Rev. J board.

The board revisions don't even differ THAT much in terms of their layout - just some not longer available parts were replaced from Rev. E1 to Rev. F (with technically identical ones)... a hardware audio boost for MSU1 audio was introduced with Rev. G... the audio boost was replaced with a MSU1 audio normalizer via opamp with Rev. H... and from Rev. I to J the sd card slot and mini USB jack were replaced with a micro sd card slot and a micro USB jack. Those were the major changes - so: nothing related to game compatibility at all. Even ikari_01 writes in the FAQ part of his SD2SNES page:

Hardware upgrades might happen if any “physical” problems become known or some end-of-life parts have to be replaced. However the capabilites of the hardware will remain roughly the same. Some improvements in performance or capacity are probably inevitable since parts are becoming cheaper and more powerful all the time.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:08 PM by TomKeller »

Offline BambooShadow

• View Profile
alrigthy, so I should see that I find a decent SD2SNES where the fucking RAM / RAM1 works properly  :-\

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
If you don't have any warranty from the shop/seller anymore and therefore can't return your faulty SD2SNES -> maybe you have a friend or family member with decent soldering skills who will help you in resoldering all the chips pins. If you don't have someone for the soldering you'll (sadly) have to look for a working new or 2nd hand SD2SNES...

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
If you bought from the Krikzz store you can send the cartridge back to Krikzz for repair.
https://krikzz.com/store/content/9-warranty
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
There shouldn't be any differences in functionality between different board revisions (except when it comes to the volume for MSU1 audio output)... which means: KSS should run the same way on a Rev. E1 board as it runs on a Rev. J board.

The board revisions don't even differ THAT much in terms of their layout - just some not longer available parts were replaced from Rev. E1 to Rev. F (with technically identical ones)... a hardware audio boost for MSU1 audio was introduced with Rev. G... the audio boost was replaced with a MSU1 audio normalizer via opamp with Rev. H... and from Rev. I to J the sd card slot and mini USB jack were replaced with a micro sd card slot and a micro USB jack. Those were the major changes - so: nothing related to game compatibility at all. Even ikari_01 writes in the FAQ part of his SD2SNES page:

Hardware upgrades might happen if any “physical” problems become known or some end-of-life parts have to be replaced. However the capabilites of the hardware will remain roughly the same. Some improvements in performance or capacity are probably inevitable since parts are becoming cheaper and more powerful all the time.

E2 -> F was no change of not available anymore parts. It was a fix of vertical lines on some SNES hardware by adding two parts in the power lines. Even though as you said, no revision causes a RAM error.

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
You're absolutely right. I forgot one revision and mixed up Rev. E1 -> E2 (new voltage regulator, because the old one wasn't available anymore) with Rev. E2 -> F (interference pattern on 1-Chip SNES output eliminated).

Offline BambooShadow

• View Profile
Alrighty, I'm gonna send the cart back to the Ukraine - I hope it can be fixed!

Thanks for your professional support guys  8)