Author Topic: mappers help?  (Read 1843 times)

Offline SynDuo

• View Profile
mappers help?
« on: June 28, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I've had my N8 for awhile, and I've only gotten the Mappers to work once, and the  Sunsoft 5B Konami VRC6 and VRC7 worked fine via my AVS (RetroUSB) and sometimes my actual NES , but I updated the firmware and like a bonehead I didn't backup my previous version so I never got the sound to work properly?

What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to find the "working" version of the mappers, or did I just imagine the whole thing working fine via my AVS?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: mappers help?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Those mappers doesn't work on the Everdrive. Sound is too crappy to be playable.

Offline SynDuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Haha, well I just remember Mr Gimmick working with the sound effects and music when it did work...

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 08:04 PM »
You're not wrong, there were unofficial mapper versions for those chips.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3405.0

However, you may want to try one of the v20 release candidates.  I recommend trying RC6 first (don't use RC7!), then dropping back to RC4 and then RC3 if you run into issues. If you do use the v20 firmware, you don't need to use the custom mappers. (I don't know that they even work with that revision; I haven't verified in a while.)

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7811.0
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 12:54 AM »
Haha, well I just remember Mr Gimmick working with the sound effects and music when it did work...

A long time ago I had a good fiddle with Mr Gimmick and was able to get the sound effects in the rom via using my Super Card SD and saving a state on the USA version then loading the Japanese version just after the stage begins after the stage map causing the effects to be restored as only the PAL version fixed with 60hz managed to keep the sound effects and music until the game was either turned off or over.

Even to this day I have no idea how this happened but I wish my device still worked as it was fun having a huge Gimmick spree from not only trying this out but also patching a bunch of Gimmick themed roms in different methods... as the RAW attempts may not be useful I omitted them in favour of the working ones...

https://www.sendspace.com/file/85vcul

I think the most mindblowing thing was merging a Japanese only hack with a proto giving it a really cool effect... hope these are of use to you as of what I had fun trying out different ways of patching in 2017 and just sparked me to make 3 new ones with game genie guy just yesterday.

The sources come from many places in 2017 and even to this day I wish I remembered where the patch of the final area being unlocked was by default but after I discovered gamehacking's main site I really haven't been using rom hacking's main site or consider it to be useful for hacked games anymore as you'd see the Invincibiity and Infinite Health ones far exceed that as you can jump in midair and collect the hidden stuff needed for end game.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:01 PM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 02:29 AM »
You're not wrong, there were unofficial mapper versions for those chips.
Yes I've tried those. Volume is too low on the expansion sound channels. Hopefully the new Everdrive is better built for this.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 06:29 AM »
You can volume boost a bit with the V20 firmware, but it's not always super effective depending on your system and setup. It's okay on most mappers on my system, but that's because mine is a resistor-modded US system. I used a 47K resistor, which I believe lets the volume get up a bit higher than some other systems that have a higher resistance. Optimally, I'd put a potentiometer in there so I could tweak the volume as needed.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline SynDuo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help, I'll give it a try :)