Author Topic: ROM City Rampage?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
ROM City Rampage?
« on: January 18, 2019, 09:34 PM »
Hi everyone, I just found out that I accidentally bought ROM City rampga by buying the full game, but before I load it onto the MicroSD, has anybody tried if it works on the N8?

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
Re: ROM City Rampage?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 04:08 AM »
I tried it, and unless I did something wrong in generating the ROM from the Steam source (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15982.0), it's just character sprites.  No backgrounds, no sound or music.  I know the guy who made the game used MMC5 mapper, and the N8 mapper is not 100% complete I think.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:11 AM by Greg2600 »

Offline Rakutenka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:37 AM »
I tried it, and unless I did something wrong in generating the ROM from the Steam source (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15982.0), it's just character sprites.  No backgrounds, no sound or music.  I know the guy who made the game used MMC5 mapper, and the N8 mapper is not 100% complete I think.

I bought it off Steam too. It works fine in an emulator, but it won't work on the N8 yet unless somebody has updated the MMC5 mapper. If I remember right, only Castlevania 3 works correctly so far with MMC5.

Please somebody tell me I'm wrong and there is an updated MMC5 mapper I don't know about.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:25 AM »
I bought it off Steam too. It works fine in an emulator, but it won't work on the N8 yet unless somebody has updated the MMC5 mapper. If I remember right, only Castlevania 3 works correctly so far with MMC5.

Please somebody tell me I'm wrong and there is an updated MMC5 mapper I don't know about.

The later OS20 betas support most MMC5 games and have improved FDS sound. OS20 beta 4 seems to be the most stable of these. OS20 beta 6 adds the ability to set the volume of expansion sound over 200% (which isn't helpful for many games) and OS20 beta 7 tweaks MMC3 and breaks compatibility with AVS.

Here is the page with the OS20 betas. Krikzz hasn't posted is this topic for awhile and it's a new year. I'm not sure if Krikzz is aware of the issue with mapper 99 since it hasn't been fixed either.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:29 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Morden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 09:29 AM »
Bought the N8 pro recently and hoped the increased mapper compatibility would finally make this game work, but no luck. While there is an improvement over the previous N8 OS I've tried, the game still down't work correctly. You can start the game, but there is no sound and the only thing you can see are the the character sprites. No background, no stats in the upper section of the screen. I thought this was a MMC5 incompatibility issue that got resolved. What is causing this game to not work correctly?