Author Topic: SCUMMVM on the N64 + Everdrive 64 would be wonderful!  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
SCUMMVM on the N64 + Everdrive 64 would be wonderful!
« on: January 25, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Shenhulahula and I were just talking about SCUMMVM, a brilliant cross-platform interpreter allowing you to play a wide variety of older adventure games on modern systems, and how we've been unable to find any N64 versions that work with the Everdrive 64.

So I was wondering if anyone with the skills and the free time would be interested in porting SCUMMVM to the N64 + ED64. It would be brilliant being able to play the classic PC point and click adventure games on the N64, and games like:

Monkey Island,
Monkey Island 2,
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis,
Beneath a Steel Sky,
Lure of the Temptress,
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

should require almost no changes to work easily on the N64, I'd imagine. They're old enough that their total file sizes should fit in a single .z64 file per game, and there's very little animation or movement in the games. Plus since most of the work is done by SCUMMVM, then adding new games to it would be much simpler than porting a game by itself.

I think that more demanding games, such as Sam and Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, and Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 (games that have proper, audio speech) would probably have to store and read the audio files from the ED64's SD card, but the audio files themselves aren't too large (we're talking 1990's game files) so they won't take up much room on an SD card.

The game-save/load functions would probably have to write to the SD card instead of the N64 controller pak, as even if the game-saves were small enough to fit on a controller pak, using the SD card instead would allow you to have as many saves as you like for each game. Probably each individual game should create it's own save folder on the SD card, if it doesn't exist, such as:

[SD card]:\scummvm\save\monkeyi\
[SD card]:\scummvm\save\sammax\
[SD card]:\scummvm\save\tentacle\
[SD card]:\scummvm\save\brokens\

So if anyone is looking for a new N64-related project , then please consider porting SCUMMVM, as it would allow us to play some truly brilliant adventure games on the sixty-four bit wonder console!

For more details, downloads, and a list of compatible games, go to:

https://scummvm.org/

Edit: There's an N64 build at but of course it will no doubt require alterations to work with the ED64, and to either act as a front end for game selection, or to be compiled into individual standalone files for each game.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:36 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline Alvis

• View Profile

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Re: SCUMMVM on the N64 + Everdrive 64 would be wonderful!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 04:34 PM »
It doesn't work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B7MqIlQ_AQ&t=2m

There is no link to the rom in that video, so I can't test it. So far I've not found a working SCUMMVM N64 rom of any game, and I don't know anything about Linux so I can't build one myself:

and anyway, SCUMMVM's code might need some rewriting, to enable it to save on the SD card both for convenience, and for any games that creates save-game files too large for the controller pak. It will need the attention of someone with the ability to program the N64, which is why I'm hoping someone will take this up as a project.

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:46 PM »
You can see in the video that he's using ScummVM N64 1.5.8. The most recent release is 1.6.0: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Nintendo_64

Wait a second - you're only interested in pre-packaged ROMs, ready to download? Despite there being a clear, step-by-step guide on how to prepare your own? And then equating "I don't know anything about Linux" with "we've been unable to find any N64 versions that work with the Everdrive 64."

There's a huge gulf between "this doesn't work" and "I won't try it."

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 08:51 PM »
There. That took under an hour.

I don't use Linux, either, but I looked up how to install Cygwin, add genromfs, found a floppy version of a SCUMM game, and followed the step-by-step directions on preparing a ROM.

Worked first time.

Offline scx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 11:27 PM »
F me . Time to get some these going :) thanks how’s the performance ?

Alvis He wants you to make Rom files for him because “no Linux”. What next take his mother shopping haha. I’m surprised there isn’t any ROMs online already ?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:29 PM by scx »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 11:37 PM »
You can see in the video that he's using ScummVM N64 1.5.8. The most recent release is 1.6.0: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Nintendo_64

But (using google), SCUMMVM's forums, and SCUMMVM N64's readme file, I've not been able to find details of any updated versions of SCUMMVM N64 since 1.6.0,, even though through google, I found mention of SCUMMVM's problems when running on an N64 and Everdrive 64, including problems saving and also occasional crashes. It's not been updated officially for six years, but I was hoping that someone might have customised the program's disc access routines so that the save-games would write directly to the ED64's SD card, to bypass both the controller paks relatively small storage capacity, and also eliminate any chance that the current method of saving your SCUMMVM N64 gamesaves would (now or later) cause a crash.

Plus it would be great if someone with the ability would currently (re)open such a project, as they could maybe look into any problems that reveal themselves when the games are played through, and hopefully find and fix the bugs.

Wait a second - you're only interested in pre-packaged ROMs, ready to download? Despite there being a clear, step-by-step guide on how to prepare your own?

No, I thought that, as is common with the modding scene, there would be patches available. So I would, say, copy the relevant files from the Money Island disc to a new folder, copy the patch and the file patcher program, apply the patch, and then end up with a working The Secret of Monkey Island.z64 file. Hopefully one that had been ED64 enabled, to save and load to SD card, and to fix any known bugs when running Monkey Island on the N64 with that version of SCUMMVM.

And then equating "I don't know anything about Linux" with "we've been unable to find any N64 versions that work with the Everdrive 64."

Er, I really didn't equate those at all. Both statements are true, but they mean different things (hence the different words... ;)).

There's a huge gulf between "this doesn't work" and "I won't try it."

Yes, and I've never said anything to the contrary. Nor did I say I wouldn't try it. I said "There's an N64 build at  but of course it will no doubt require alterations to work with the ED64, and to either act as a front end for game selection, or to be compiled into individual standalone files for each game.", which I still believe to be probably correct. And since there is a tutorial for it, albeit using software I'm not familiar with, I had two options;

1. Try to follow the tutorial, and if, as occasionally happens, the tutorial doesn't lead to success, then I have to investigate the problem and post on various forums, to eventually find out that the version of Cygwin or some other component has changed one of it's dependant libraries in the last six years, and nobody thought to mention it because it's common knowledge to most people, so when I learn of it I have to track it down, manually alter a configuration file and then successfully create the working .z64 file. Or perhaps one of the command line options has changed it's syntax in the last six years. Or the software won't work with my version of Windows 7, and is a well known problem but only to those who've actually used Cygwin or whatever in the past. And so on. And at the end of it, I have a working .z64.

A working .z64 file that might, for all I know, not work properly if an Everdrive 64 is present. You say of your newly made Monkey Island.z64 file "Worked first time.". But does it? I take it you've not played it all the way through? You've not saved near the end of the game, when the save file has grown far beyond it's original size. Lots of older N64 hacks and things don't work with the N64 (though thankfully newer hacks are almost always compatible now), and since the latest version of SCUMMVM on the official site is six years old, then it's very possible that no one involved with creating that version of SCUMMVM had ever even seen an Everdrive 64. Certainly the ED64 isn't mentioned in SCUMMVM N64's readme file. And the number of people who had the equipment back then and earlier to run homebrew on the N64 would not have been large (nor is it now, of course) so SCUMMVM N64 would probably not have been tested too well, nowhere near as well as the PC version was, for example.

Then there's option 2. I can ask on this forum, and hopefully receive a link to patch versions of the games, maybe even ED64 enabled versions of the patches, and hopefully the poster will also say something like "I've completed Monkey Island 1 and 2 on the Everdrive 64, they work fine" Or there might be other replies, such as "Monkey Island isn't fully playable on the N64, it crashes when you try to leave the first island. I tried three different sets of the original game files, and they work on the PC version of SCUMMVM, but on the N64 they all lock up the console at the same point", or "You have to set the ED64 save type to  SRAM 768 or you won't be able to save". If nothing else, posting about SCUMMVM N64 might provoke an interesting discussion on the subject, and may well lead to other people trying and liking it.

And if no one posts patch links to ED64-fixed versions, or even to patch versions of the official builds, then I can try the tutorial for myself. But since I'm in no rush to get them, and I was hoping that someone might be able to point to a later, ED64-enabled version, or at least to confirm that the official version works and saves perfectly on the original console and Everdrive 64, then I  thought I'd make this thread first.

On the subject of the game itself, how does it play on the N64? Is it low or high res (640 x 480, or 320 x 240), is the sound authentic, does the game save to the controller pak, and load back OK?

Offline SoyAntonio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 11:49 PM »
ok so i downloaded and installed Cygwin and chose base package, downloaded genromfs and unpacked it but I have no clue how to install the genromfs content into Cygwin. the guides out there are far too advance for me (believe me i tried) so any additional/simplified step by step explanations of the whole process would be appreciated.

Offline scx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 01:04 AM »
Edit: nevermind . Ill try on my ed64 v3 soon and  report back my findings.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:02 AM by scx »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 03:07 AM »
No way!  There's a chance I could play the Quest for Glory series on N64!?  A few of my projects might get delayed... :)
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 04:54 AM »
Would love to try some of these out. 

Offline tbpbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 04:51 AM »
I just tried and it DOES NOT SAVE, someone would need to play with the codes to make it 4k/16k  saving.  :(

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 04:13 PM »
I just tried and it DOES NOT SAVE, someone would need to play with the codes to make it 4k/16k  saving.  :(

The gamesaves might need a lot more space than that, especially as each individual game progresses, which is why I think it's likely that we'd need to store the gamesaves on the Everdrive's SD card.

Imagine being able to play these games on the N64, though. Not only will it introduce a new genre of gaming to the N64, but we could also play some of the very best of that genre on the old 64-bit wonder.

And considering how little homebrew there is for the N64, it would be fantastic to be able to have SCUMMVM added to the list.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 10:00 PM »
You really can't have SCUMM without game saving!  Wonder how feasible the versions with CD audio would be?