Author Topic: 40 Winks Rom?  (Read 7665 times)

Offline swankerme

• View Profile
40 Winks Rom?
« on: February 03, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Has anyone dumped the rom from the recently released 40 Winks from Piko? I have searched the normal rom sites, still no news. Considering the amount of people who bought the Kickstarter, I can't believe none of them have a rom reader.

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
Re: 40 Winks Rom?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 03:52 AM »
Fewer that 1500 people are getting the game through the Kickstarter.

Considering that most dumping hardware is 20+ years old at this point, or requires working with interfaces (parallel port) rarely found on modern PCs, I'd imagine that the fraction of backers with the HW to dump N64 carts can't be more than a few percent.

Further take into account the desire to protect their investment in what's currently an N64 rarity (albeit a modern one), and I gotta go the other way: I can totally believe that no one's dumped the game (or have dumped, but are in no hurry to distribute the ROM).

Offline scx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Has anyone dumped the rom from the recently released 40 Winks from Piko? I have searched the normal rom sites, still no news. Considering the amount of people who bought the Kickstarter, I can't believe none of them have a rom reader.

Check your pm...

Beta, best i could find right now.

The filename is "40 Winks (Europe) (En,Es,It) (Proto).z64 "
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:33 PM by scx »

Offline swankerme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Thanks! I did find that proto ROM, but from what I understand, the ROM Piko used to build their repro was actually a later version, one that was more complete / not a beta. Not sure where they found it.

Looks like I might have to invest in dumping hardware.

Offline scx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 09:37 PM »
Ah!,

No worries mate sorry about that. PM me if you get a full please. thanks

Offline fox1918

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 03:17 AM »
 PM me too if you get a full please. thanks ;)

Offline elenion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Speaking as a dev, have some respect for new releases guys. At least wait a bit before asking for ROMs, do you want to see more or less new stuff?

Offline SoyAntonio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 09:28 PM »
I would gladly pay the devs for a downloadable ROM copy that I can legally put on my Everdrive while still supporting the devs. I dont need a cartridge copy. But then again, I guess they would be forced to add some kind of copy protection which may not be possible  I guess

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 11:15 PM »
Definitely would pay for digital copies of roms from licensed sources.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 04:07 AM »
Just a thought does the steam version of 40 Winks come with the rom like many of the other Piko Interactive PC releases?

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Speaking as a dev, have some respect for new releases guys. At least wait a bit before asking for ROMs, do you want to see more or less new stuff?

I totally agree with this. People who work on a game deserve to be paid for it. And if this game does make enough money to make a decent profit for the company, then they and others might be attracted to the idea of making more games for the N64,  or updating older N64 games, or even porting non-N64 games to the N64. It's not too likely I suppose, but it is possible.

I would gladly pay the devs for a downloadable ROM copy that I can legally put on my Everdrive while still supporting the devs. I dont need a cartridge copy. But then again, I guess they would be forced to add some kind of copy protection which may not be possible  I guess

It is surprising that they're not offering a digital download version for people with flash-carts or who prefer to play on emulators. And they're not preventing piracy by no providing a digital copy, as the game will be pirates sooner or later anyway, by someone who has the rom-dumper hardware and access to a 40 Winks game cartridge. It only takes one person to make one digital copy of a cartridge, and then that person can either make it available to the world, or pass it on to one or two people who each pass it on to one or more people, and so on, until one person decides to upload it the world as a torrent file and maybe upload it to a hosting site.

The company who have released 40 Winks can't prevent it being pirated, any more than EA or Activision or Nintendo, etc, can prevent piracy of any of their games on any systems, so making a digital copy available for purchase seems to me to be a great idea, for those who want to play the game on an Everdrive 64 or an emulator, and who are honest enough to want to pay for the game.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Someone needs to check the steam version.. Many of the steam versions of their other releases are just their roms running via emulation. It's simple copy and paste to get them running in flashcarts.

"It is surprising that they're not offering a digital download version for people with flash-carts or who prefer to play on emulators. And they're not preventing piracy by no providing a digital copy, as the game will be pirates sooner or later anyway, by someone who has the rom-dumper hardware and access to a 40 Winks game cartridge. It only takes one person to make one digital copy of a cartridge, and then that person can either make it available to the world, or pass it on to one or two people who each pass it on to one or more people, and so on, until one person decides to upload it the world as a torrent file and maybe upload it to a hosting site."

Apparently someone dumped one of their other games (Pinkie I think), and the torrent ended up coming out of Belarus so they banned their one 'Belarus' customer from ever buying from them again... The funny thing though is its possible that Belarus guy was innocent, and that like you mentioned uploader could have just passed copies around, or even 'hid' his IP to make it look like it came from Belarus.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:20 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Well turns out the Steam version is ab ISO for the Playstation version.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Apparently someone dumped one of their other games (Pinkie I think), and the torrent ended up coming out of Balarus so they banned their one 'Balarus' customer from ever buying from them again... The funny thing though is its possible that Balarus guy was innocent, and that like you mentioned uploader could have just passed copies around, or even 'hid' his IP to make it look like it came from Balarus.

That's hilarious.
And so I go fast.

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Are we talking about Belarus? Is this A-spelling a joke/reference I'm missing?