Author Topic: The original Doom is coming to the N64...  (Read 235925 times)

Offline Nightrnr

• View Profile
Re: The original Doom is coming to the N64...
« Reply #840 on: March 15, 2018, 10:55 PM »
Yeah, I know about the backup option, I'm either lazy or don't like to mess with it for a game I'd play more casual/arcade style anyways. Will give it a 2nd look if/when I put DoomII/Final Doom episodes on it.

As for the save bug:
On the older working commit, it will load a save from the main menu, but freezes up if you try to load a save after a game is already started, forcing you to reset before you can load again.
from github:
There is a known bug where if you save a game, start a New Game from the Doom menu, then try to load your saved game, the game crashes. Loading games from the initial Doom main menu works fine however (reset the console after starting a new game if you wish to re-load your last saved game instead).

Maybe it's fine for fresh saves if you haven't started a new game (loaded from a save from the start), but I haven't tried that. In any case, if you start a new game, you WILL be resetting before you can load a save.
...supposed to be fixed in the newer commit???

Offline fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 25, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I have created a patch uploaded to my GitHub fork which should fix your issues with make_doom.sh: https://github.com/networkfusion/64doom/tree/make_doom-patch

I have also created a pull request, so hopefully it will make it into the official repo soon...
Thanks man, for the fixed version, you only forgot to put the "doom.bin" file in the folder.
After copy "doom.bin" to your fixed "Tools" folder, everything works fine.  8)
But i did not see any inprovement from the 2015 version, worst, i find it more laggy and the controls less responsible than before.
The Gamma correction was changed, and the game is now so bright that distort the original Doom dark feeling.
So............. i still stick with 2015 version.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:43 PM by fabio_rosendo »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 27, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Yeah, I know about the backup option, I'm either lazy or don't like to mess with it for a game I'd play more casual/arcade style anyways. Will give it a 2nd look if/when I put DoomII/Final Doom episodes on it.

As for the save bug:
On the older working commit, it will load a save from the main menu, but freezes up if you try to load a save after a game is already started, forcing you to reset before you can load again.
from github:
There is a known bug where if you save a game, start a New Game from the Doom menu, then try to load your saved game, the game crashes. Loading games from the initial Doom main menu works fine however (reset the console after starting a new game if you wish to re-load your last saved game instead).

Maybe it's fine for fresh saves if you haven't started a new game (loaded from a save from the start), but I haven't tried that. In any case, if you start a new game, you WILL be resetting before you can load a save.
...supposed to be fixed in the newer commit???

I see, thanks mate.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 13, 2018, 05:48 AM »
It basically involved rewriting a majority of the player handling code in the Doom engine that assumed a single player only for a given instance of the engine. LOTS of work.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it would be tons of work =) I mean, it would be cool, but probably not worth the effort for such a niche audience.

Offline swaaye

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 20, 2019, 07:36 AM »
From what I can tell nobody ever fixed that make_doom.sh problem with line breaks.  I just downloaded the 64Doom Builder toolkit and it still doesn't work.

I loaded make_doom.sh up in PSPad and changed the text encoding from DOS to Unix and that fixed it. ROMs built on Win10 without issue now.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:37 AM by swaaye »

Offline SaturnX

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 20, 2019, 11:41 PM »
From what I can tell nobody ever fixed that make_doom.sh problem with line breaks.  I just downloaded the 64Doom Builder toolkit and it still doesn't work.

I loaded make_doom.sh up in PSPad and changed the text encoding from DOS to Unix and that fixed it. ROMs built on Win10 without issue now.

Thanks! Compiled Ultimate Doom, Doom II, TNT, and Plutonia under Windows 7 perfectly.

Really wish the work on porting Wolfenstein onto the N64 was done.. it was one of my favourites growing up.