Author Topic: Pal to NTSC information  (Read 620 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Pal to NTSC information
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:09 PM »
This is obviously a topic that depends on model of tv, type of tv, etc... But I've been trying to test out various patched roms, or rom patches to convert certain Pal N64 games to NTSC... So far I've had pretty good luck with a few of the 'pal exlusives' such as the Rakuga Kids patch, Airboarder 64, and Centre Court Tennis  (on both a Panasonic CRT I recently acquired, and my flat screen LG smart tv.) They seem to work great..

However, a copy of patched Premier Manager 64 works on the LG, but in greyscale for some reason IIRC... It has the proper color on the Panasonic, but the image on the screen 'scrolls' vertically with black bars between each cycle, which makes it unplayable really. Haven't found a version of the game that works right...

Similar isues with some of the other patched 'semi-exclusives' I've found... like HSV Adventures (based on same game as Beetle Adventure Racing but with a different set of cars, menus, and other options), Michawel Owens WLS2000 (built on the same game as Mia Hamm's Soccer) but each game having totally different cast of players (one being all female, the other all male, and lots of changed artwork). Many of these do work on LG screen, but either don't load or 'scroll' across the screen vertically on my CRT...

Another one that I kinda want a working conversion for is Castlevania 64 Pal version which added some extra speech to some of the character scenes... However, 50hz base speed makes the game play very sluggish or too fast, compared to NTSC versions even if forced into NTSC...
It partially work son my LCD tv although it crops off few of the bottom lines of the game.. ON CRT it has the 'scroll' issue again.

Ideally, it would be great if modder could take the Japanese version of the game Akumajo Dracula (which has built in save feature (as opposed to being forced to use controller memory paks)), the voices from the Pal version, and combined them with the original NTSC translation of the game, to make an ultimate version... Same goes for Legacy of Darkness, to get the Japanese safe game feature modded into the US release...

Offline GhostlyDark

• View Profile
Re: Pal to NTSC information
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 11:38 PM »
I recently published this:
https://evilgames.eu/emulation.htm#n64-ntsc-patches

It's a conversion pack to make PAL N64 games run in NTSC mode.

Note that if a game has been "optimized" for PAL (increased gameplay and music speed, cutscene timings etc.) the game will run too fast or have glitches. Those patches do the very minimum to get the games running in NTSC mode and were only tested on emulators. I have no Everdrive64 (yet), so I can't test them on real hardware.

Online ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 03:08 AM »
Aroenai has done some great work along a similar vein that here:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6370

We were working on Premier Manager 64, but it is hard coded PAL in many spots.  We got it to play on NTSC properly, but I think it's stuck due to audio/video syncing issues now.  It was never meant to run on an NTSC system.

Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline tbpbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 08:47 AM »
Hi would it be possible to get a NTSC of WWF No MERCY V1.1 ?
1.1 only came out in PAL
The 1.0 USA has a saving glitch.

Offline GhostlyDark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:11 PM »
WWF No Mercy (USA) (Rev 1) exists and has been dumped.
The easy way is to use that ROM.