Author Topic: 40 Winks Rom?  (Read 8705 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: 40 Winks Rom?
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Thanks for the detailed answers ozidual :)

I'm kind of surprised Piko wasn't given a final 1999 build with the source code ??? Especially if the game was 100% complete.

Since Piko has the source code for both the PAL and NTSC builds, I assume the sound and animation speeds are correct on their respective releases?

Correct - sound and animation speeds for PAL and NTSC builds are correct.

I'm not too shocked - it's 20 years since the game was considered final and gaming companies weren't known for keeping everything backed up and stored properly. 

Lets assume they had everything backed up properly.  If I remember right, they had a final build ready for release, but kept getting pushback to make silly changes to the game.  During that time you could have all sorts of forks off the main build as they made changes to fit the latest demands from above.  I wouldn't be shocked if they only made changes on NTSC or PAL to submit for checking that the demands were met.  If approved they would have applied the changes to the other region.

Then there's games like Ocarina of Time and its GameCube re-releases.  The Japanese OoT/MQ release was the first one compiled.  Then the NTSC-U OoT/MQ was compiled and the NTSC-U Collector's edition used that one.  Finally, the Japanese Collector's edition OoT was compiled.  Between compiling the NTSC-U version of OoT and compiling the Japanese Collector's edition version of OoT, they fixed a spelling error in the English text.  So, they made changes to the English side of things for a Japanese release.  I believe that's the only difference between the last two releases.  It just shows that even after release or completion of a game, devs will still continue to work on it.  Most likely in case there is a 1.1 release.

So there might be multiple final builds around or there might be none depending on what source code got backed up and how they did backups.

Sorry if the above sounds harsh - it wasn't meant to.  I'm just finishing my first caffeine hit of the day :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:07 PM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline cvskid

• View Profile
Re: 40 Winks Rom?
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Any updates on where to possibly find this in a ntsc-u format? The actual game not the beta pal version.