Author Topic: 40 Winks Rom?  (Read 7657 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: 40 Winks Rom?
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2019, 11:16 PM »
Is there a pal version with piko screen?  The pal one from stoneage is just the prototype
Yes.  There were two completely different carts for sale from Piko.  One NTSC and one PAL.  Neither one matched the existing prototype.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline kerryking1

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2019, 12:37 AM »
I guess the stoneage one is not the true pal release then.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2019, 02:27 AM »
I bought the Everdrive 64 and got the 40 Winks ROM.  It was the PAL Proto ROM without the Piko splash screen and all that.  I complained to Stone Age and they got into contact with Piko and sent me a link to a new download.  This time with both the new PAL and NTSC versions with the Piko splash screens.  I figured they would fix it for everyone else but I guess not.  I haven't checked the hash on them yet to see if they match the cart dumps though.

Any chance you can run the hash on it, out of curiosity sake?

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Does anyone know if Piko have archived the original untouched prototype ROM's?

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2019, 09:29 PM »
The final roms were compiled from the source code with the required changes to compress the new logo, etc.
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2019, 02:06 AM »
Video fixes, and any required bug fixes too?

Offline JCreazy

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2019, 03:23 AM »
I bought the Everdrive 64 and got the 40 Winks ROM.  It was the PAL Proto ROM without the Piko splash screen and all that.  I complained to Stone Age and they got into contact with Piko and sent me a link to a new download.  This time with both the new PAL and NTSC versions with the Piko splash screens.  I figured they would fix it for everyone else but I guess not.  I haven't checked the hash on them yet to see if they match the cart dumps though.

Any chance you can run the hash on it, out of curiosity sake?

Z64
    File: 40 Winks (NTSC).z64
  CRC-32: 31c19633
     MD5: b88c172ed14f4acb43c4a352d71cc640
   SHA-1: 420f0ed3b67f802b5f3ab4bd17167c266f8f36ce

Z64
    File: 40 Winks (PAL).z64 (This is actually the proto, I thought they sent me the new version but they only did with NTSC which is fine because I don't need the PAL)
  CRC-32: 7e718143
     MD5: 0a5acfea0c7cf68ae25202040d5ad1eb
   SHA-1: 3774e87aa383220060d330314f2c5bbb872f72ce

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:33 AM by JCreazy »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2019, 03:44 AM »
THat's cool, congrats...

I wonder if its possible to get Stoneage to 'update' other archives as well... Like maybe the finished version of NTSC Tinstar, for the SNES Piko collection, or finished versions of Iron Commando. I just ended up buying all the Piko released games on Steam in order to have what I hope were the latest roms. Iron Commando is definitely a completed translated rom and NTSC as far as I know on Steam. Also picked up Brave Battle Saga on Steam too. Don't know if its the 'completed' version? It doesn't have a 'piko' screen and just seems to be the rom with the removed translation patch. Anyone know if the carttridge had a piko screen?

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2019, 03:59 AM »
Video fixes, and any required bug fixes too?

Technically, there were no video fixes.  Each ROM was compiled separately for its region (NTSC and PAL), though there is some overlapping in source code.  As Aroenai mentioned, the NTSC ROM has some minor known differences from the PAL ROM.

That said, there is a hidden Widescreen mode in both the PAL and NTSC ROM created by the original developers.  It works great on HDTVs.

No bug fixes either.  According to the developers, the game was 100% complete.

That said, the PAL ROM was compiled with Italian as a language option and Piko hired me to replace Italian with French.  I did so with a ROM hack.  So there is technically an original ROM there, though it was compiled with the Piko logo.  I only changed the language and changed the Language Select screen.  Nothing else.  As part of translating, I had access to the source code which had an official French translation (different from the French PSX release) which I used to create the ROM hack.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2019, 04:05 AM »
Cool information! And congrats on gettng that job!

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2019, 04:11 PM »
How different is the N64 prototype from the commercial version of 40 Winks? Are any of the bugs in the prototype version serious?

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2019, 11:09 PM »
How different is the N64 prototype from the commercial version of 40 Winks? Are any of the bugs in the prototype version serious?

The date was changed for the recompiling, so an exact date cannot be found so it's unknown how much newer the commercial version is compared to the prototype.  Comparing the hex, there are differences beyond the logo.  It's hard to say what is changed since everything is compressed.  The A/B button icons are the same for the PAL proto and PAL release.  They are different for the NTSC release.  We're unsure whether that means anything.

I don't know of any bugs in any versions out there.  Aroenai played through both the PAL and NTSC versions and I don't believe he found any bugs.

When it was just the PAL Proto out there, Zoinkity released a patch that changed the region so it worked on NTSC systems.  The problem is that sound and animation screens were sped up due to the difference between PAL/NTSC games.  That was considered a bug by many, but as I said, that's normal for converting PAL to NTSC without some major audio/video modifications.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:23 AM by ozidual »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2019, 06:10 PM »
I see, thanks.

Do the company who released 40 Winks on the N64, or anyone else, have any plans to release any more games for the N64, do we know?

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2019, 09:17 PM »
I see, thanks.

Do the company who released 40 Winks on the N64, or anyone else, have any plans to release any more games for the N64, do we know?

Piko Interactive released it - they have the rights and source for Glover 2 and Dragon Sword.  They have shown interest in releasing those, but the last video they were in, they talked about releasing all new games at once early in the year and only doing annual releases.  So none this year.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2019, 10:50 AM »

The date was changed for the recompiling, so an exact date cannot be found so it's unknown how much newer the commercial version is compared to the prototype.  Comparing the hex, there are differences beyond the logo.  It's hard to say what is changed since everything is compressed.  The A/B button icons are the same for the PAL proto and PAL release.  They are different for the NTSC release.  We're unsure whether that means anything.

I don't know of any bugs in any versions out there.  Aroenai played through both the PAL and NTSC versions and I don't believe he found any bugs.

When it was just the PAL Proto out there, Zoinkity released a patch that changed the region so it worked on NTSC systems.  The problem is that sound and animation screens were sped up due to the difference between PAL/NTSC games.  That was considered a bug by many, but as I said, that's normal for converting PAL to NTSC without some major audio/video modifications.
Thanks for the detailed answers ozidual :)

I'm kind of surprised Piko wasn't given a final 1999 build with the source code ??? Especially if the game was 100% complete.

Since Piko has the source code for both the PAL and NTSC builds, I assume the sound and animation speeds are correct on their respective releases?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:21 AM by Link83 »