Author Topic: FC->NES adapter for EDN8 that will fit inside the console  (Read 368 times)

Offline yojc

• View Profile
FC->NES adapter for EDN8 that will fit inside the console
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Hi!

I'm a very happy owner of the EDN8. I play the games mainly on my AV Famicom, but I've recently acquired a PAL NES. Now I'm wondering if there are any Famicom to NES cart adapters that will fit, ie. I want to be able to use my EDN8 on NES and be able to push down the cartridge.

I'll be honest, I want to do this as cheaply as possible. All I want is to play some of the PAL exclusives (Noah's Ark, Smurfs, Asterix, etc.) - so the non-working sound expansion chips, problems with MMC3/5 (if I'm not mistaken, some of the adapters handle it quite badly) are of no issue to me. As long as most of the games work, I'll be happy.

Now... from what I see, the EDN8 is a little bit taller than a standard Famicom cart, and that can be a bit problematic.

Would this adapter be okay for my needs? It looks reasonably compact, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to push down the cartridge.
https://www.ebay.pl/itm/11B2-Green-60Pin-Famicom-FC-To-72Pin-NES-Circuit-Board-Electronic-Adapter-Conver/173681767494

And yes, most of the PAL games work on the NTSC console (Asterix is one of the exceptions), but I want to be able to play them at the correct speed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
Re: FC->NES adapter for EDN8 that will fit inside the console
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:20 PM »
I would also like to buy NES PAL in the near future ... to play Elite and some other games ... as a last resort - all Nes 72 pin adapters are supposed to be compatible .. another question is how to be with the "lock out" chip (Nes10) ...

I also want to note: I have av famicom and two gamepads from Nes pal (NES-004E) and these are very cool gamepads :)
I
. They are well compatible with AVFamicom
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:29 PM by PalAndreew »

Offline decommand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Hi!

I'm a very happy owner of the EDN8. I play the games mainly on my AV Famicom, but I've recently acquired a PAL NES. Now I'm wondering if there are any Famicom to NES cart adapters that will fit, ie. I want to be able to use my EDN8 on NES and be able to push down the cartridge.

I'll be honest, I want to do this as cheaply as possible. All I want is to play some of the PAL exclusives (Noah's Ark, Smurfs, Asterix, etc.) - so the non-working sound expansion chips, problems with MMC3/5 (if I'm not mistaken, some of the adapters handle it quite badly) are of no issue to me. As long as most of the games work, I'll be happy.

Now... from what I see, the EDN8 is a little bit taller than a standard Famicom cart, and that can be a bit problematic.

Would this adapter be okay for my needs? It looks reasonably compact, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to push down the cartridge.
https://www.ebay.pl/itm/11B2-Green-60Pin-Famicom-FC-To-72Pin-NES-Circuit-Board-Electronic-Adapter-Conver/173681767494

And yes, most of the PAL games work on the NTSC console (Asterix is one of the exceptions), but I want to be able to play them at the correct speed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

you should buy this one:
https://krikzz.com/store/home/40-famicom-to-nes-adapter.html

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Yeah, I know about that one, but it's too expensive for something that I'm only gonna use rarely. Plus, it's definitely much bigger - I have serious doubts that it'll fit with the cartridge pushed down.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:20 PM »
I think that there is no point in worrying.
The height of the FC is much smaller than the NES cartridge.
 You can also subtract the height of the adapter - after all, the famicom sinks or goes into the adapter.
I am sure Krikzz thought this solution. In the end: we solve problems as they come.

Well, if you have golden hands and you take care of things (and you are not afraid to take risks, yes, this is a risk) - you can remove the cover from FC. in any case, you will rarely do it!

I will hope that my advice does not hurt anyone.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 04:25 PM »
also forgot to mention: on a NES more height (significantly), but also width! NES-72 pin, FC-60 pin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:29 PM by PalAndreew »

Offline williamjarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 11:04 PM »
If you guys have golden hands and you take care of things properly, perhaps you are the one who can simply manage this complicated task!

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 11:51 PM »
yes, maybe you are right.
 no one wants to mistakenly damage such a valuable thing, so - if there is no certainty - it is better not to open the cartridge.

But in any case: I hope someone who has this kit (n8-fc + adapter) can give us answers ...
 for now The best decision to buy and check ...

Offline FeverDrive

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 04:18 AM »
That adapter or something similar should work, if it doesn't you can always return the product.
And so I go fast.

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Thanks for your input :)

I've ordered this adapter, we'll see how it fares.