Author Topic: FC->NES adapter for EDN8 that will fit inside the console  (Read 1272 times)

Offline yojc

• View Profile
FC->NES adapter for EDN8 that will fit inside the console
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Hi!

I'm a very happy owner of the EDN8. I play the games mainly on my AV Famicom, but I've recently acquired a PAL NES. Now I'm wondering if there are any Famicom to NES cart adapters that will fit, ie. I want to be able to use my EDN8 on NES and be able to push down the cartridge.

I'll be honest, I want to do this as cheaply as possible. All I want is to play some of the PAL exclusives (Noah's Ark, Smurfs, Asterix, etc.) - so the non-working sound expansion chips, problems with MMC3/5 (if I'm not mistaken, some of the adapters handle it quite badly) are of no issue to me. As long as most of the games work, I'll be happy.

Now... from what I see, the EDN8 is a little bit taller than a standard Famicom cart, and that can be a bit problematic.

Would this adapter be okay for my needs? It looks reasonably compact, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to push down the cartridge.
https://www.ebay.pl/itm/11B2-Green-60Pin-Famicom-FC-To-72Pin-NES-Circuit-Board-Electronic-Adapter-Conver/173681767494

And yes, most of the PAL games work on the NTSC console (Asterix is one of the exceptions), but I want to be able to play them at the correct speed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
Re: FC->NES adapter for EDN8 that will fit inside the console
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:20 PM »
I would also like to buy NES PAL in the near future ... to play Elite and some other games ... as a last resort - all Nes 72 pin adapters are supposed to be compatible .. another question is how to be with the "lock out" chip (Nes10) ...

I also want to note: I have av famicom and two gamepads from Nes pal (NES-004E) and these are very cool gamepads :)
I
. They are well compatible with AVFamicom
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:29 PM by PalAndreew »

Offline decommand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Hi!

I'm a very happy owner of the EDN8. I play the games mainly on my AV Famicom, but I've recently acquired a PAL NES. Now I'm wondering if there are any Famicom to NES cart adapters that will fit, ie. I want to be able to use my EDN8 on NES and be able to push down the cartridge.

I'll be honest, I want to do this as cheaply as possible. All I want is to play some of the PAL exclusives (Noah's Ark, Smurfs, Asterix, etc.) - so the non-working sound expansion chips, problems with MMC3/5 (if I'm not mistaken, some of the adapters handle it quite badly) are of no issue to me. As long as most of the games work, I'll be happy.

Now... from what I see, the EDN8 is a little bit taller than a standard Famicom cart, and that can be a bit problematic.

Would this adapter be okay for my needs? It looks reasonably compact, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to push down the cartridge.
https://www.ebay.pl/itm/11B2-Green-60Pin-Famicom-FC-To-72Pin-NES-Circuit-Board-Electronic-Adapter-Conver/173681767494

And yes, most of the PAL games work on the NTSC console (Asterix is one of the exceptions), but I want to be able to play them at the correct speed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

you should buy this one:
https://krikzz.com/store/home/40-famicom-to-nes-adapter.html

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Yeah, I know about that one, but it's too expensive for something that I'm only gonna use rarely. Plus, it's definitely much bigger - I have serious doubts that it'll fit with the cartridge pushed down.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:20 PM »
I think that there is no point in worrying.
The height of the FC is much smaller than the NES cartridge.
 You can also subtract the height of the adapter - after all, the famicom sinks or goes into the adapter.
I am sure Krikzz thought this solution. In the end: we solve problems as they come.

Well, if you have golden hands and you take care of things (and you are not afraid to take risks, yes, this is a risk) - you can remove the cover from FC. in any case, you will rarely do it!

I will hope that my advice does not hurt anyone.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 04:25 PM »
also forgot to mention: on a NES more height (significantly), but also width! NES-72 pin, FC-60 pin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:29 PM by PalAndreew »

Offline williamjarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 11:04 PM »
If you guys have golden hands and you take care of things properly, perhaps you are the one who can simply manage this complicated task!

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 11:51 PM »
yes, maybe you are right.
 no one wants to mistakenly damage such a valuable thing, so - if there is no certainty - it is better not to open the cartridge.

But in any case: I hope someone who has this kit (n8-fc + adapter) can give us answers ...
 for now The best decision to buy and check ...

Offline FeverDrive

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 04:18 AM »
That adapter or something similar should work, if it doesn't you can always return the product.
And so I go fast.

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Thanks for your input :)

I've ordered this adapter, we'll see how it fares.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 04:50 AM »
To me at the end - came NES - PAL (RGB) Console .
((Yes! just don't be intimidated: that french Mattel with fake RGB output! ))

I had to solder the AV-mod (There was a lot of work ... but I managed!)
... everything works very well.
I bought some cheap adapter - the old "Honey-Bee".
It even starts mmс5 (NTSC - of course with glitches).

All games run perfectly on the N8-Famicom Cart and another - Pirate-multicard.
the main thing - plenty of space inside the NES! Very easy to remove and not stuck!

Of course, if you run NTCS (US and J) games - it will be very slow and some will be with glitches!

I was able to play Elite (E) and Asterix and more!

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 10:00 AM »
I've played around with the adapter I've received, and my worries were completely ungrounded. There is a lot of room to spare with the adapter, there's no issue with pushing the cart down. Although I have one pirate Famicom multicart which is too thick to fit the console for some reason.

But don't be as dumb as me and don't order this design, because Famicom carts won't fit with their cases on... you'd need to open them up and insert bare PCBs:

It's pretty obvious by just looking at it, but this only occured to me after I've tested it...

Thankfully dremel sorted that out. :P

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:26 AM by yojc »