Author Topic: Getter Love Translation  (Read 9227 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: Getter Love Translation
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2019, 10:32 PM »
The Name Screen is still giving me trouble.  It stores the current length of the name in the stack (a variable location), and uses a combination of quite a lot of variables to pinpoint the location of that length variable.  I'd just modify the code used to pull that pointer, but Getter Love likes to re-use code to do everything.  So this piece of code also seems to be important in pulling data for images.  I have a spot that is ONLY used by the Name Screen, but I need a way to recreate the process used to create the pointer to the current length variable.  I just need a solid chunk of time to work on this, which hasn't been available lately.

If I get it though I think I can implement names based on the width of the full name rather than the number of characters.  This would fix a lot of issues and would allow WWWWWW, Chikashi and Ozidualize to all be valid usernames :)
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 07:10 AM »
Progress!!!  It's small, but I've made a crack in the wall that is the name screen :)  Nothing visible to the naked eye yet.  I just wanted to post this since I finally have something solid to build this hack around!  That and I'm exhausted :)
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren

Offline Flap

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 09:07 PM »
Great work! Can't wait to play it.

Offline boogritwarriors

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2019, 04:44 AM »
Amazing work. Is there something specific you need to do for the game to load the different facial textures? Whenever I have tried to play this game, none of the eyes/mouths load.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Nope, if they don't load you are probably trying it on an emulator that can't handle it. Should work perfectly on the ED64.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Amazing work. Is there something specific you need to do for the game to load the different facial textures? Whenever I have tried to play this game, none of the eyes/mouths load.

If you're using NEMU or an older version of PJ64, it has troubles with that.  Try downloading LuigiBlood's build of PJ64 for 64DD here: https://64dd.org/downloads.html .  The characters will have facial expressions, but there will be lines around them.  That's the best I've seen on emulator.

Here's an image of what it looks like:

Offline boogritwarriors

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2019, 04:29 PM »
Interesting. I'll give that a try. I recently injected Getter Love!! Into an existing Wii U N64 game to take advantage of Nintendo's official N64 emulator on the Wii U, with the hopes that it would support the facial textures. Unfortunately, it looks like it has the same issue.

The emulator also supports an initialization file, to calibrate a particular game, and other initialization files I have looked over have specific entries for restoring missing textures. Unfortunately, the entries look like random addresses and random offsets, which doesn't help me for a different game.

I'll take a look at this emulator... both for playing and seeing if I can figure more things out regarding this problem.

*Edit
Nice, I like that he includes the source. Will be a good look later tonight.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:32 PM by boogritwarriors »

Offline boogritwarriors

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2019, 05:13 AM »
That recommend version of PJ64 has a video plugin called "Project64 Video Plugin : 2.2.0 ...". It cleanly renders the eyes and mouth. It has the following config:

[489C84E6-4C6E49F9-C:4A]
Good Name=Getter Love!! - Cho Ren-ai Party Game (J)
Internal Name=Getter Love!!
depthmode=1
filtering=2
texrect_compare_less=1
zmode_compare_less=1

Did some testing and it's the filtering=2 field that did the trick - I removed it, relaunched, and the eyes, nose, and mouth had the outlines that you were running into. I also have an older version of PJ64 that had the Glide64 (not GLIdeN64) video plugin that also did the trick.

https://imgur.com/a/x9XE0wJ

Unfortunately, I was unable to find similar configuration for Nintendo's emulator to fix this. Probably not going to go down that road.

Is your translation specific to the ED64? Or can it be patched into an existing romfile?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:15 AM by boogritwarriors »

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 05:53 AM »
Well, the main focus of this forum is running roms on physical N64 hardware using the Everdrive 64... probably not likely to get Wii-U support.

That said, the patches here should work on any accurate N64 emulator.
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 07:34 PM »
As Aroenai said, just the original N64.

If you're interested in figuring out the Wii U stuff, go for it.  If you find something that works and send it back, I'll put it in the main post.  I am not modifying anything that should affect how the graphics are displayed, so whatever you find that works for the original ROM should work for the translation.   Personally, I haven't hacked my Wii U and have no plans to do that for the forseeable future.

Offline boogritwarriors

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Wii U, PC, etc, doesn't really make a difference to me. I'm looking for the most realistic, highest-quality way to play this game in 2019 and it looks like PJ64 with the PJ64 video plugin and your in-progress translation patch fits that bill.

I agree that your changes are probably inconsequential in regards to compatibility with other emulators.

I must be missing something obvious, is there a link to your patch in this topic, or is it hidden for legal reasons? I am very interested in giving it a try.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 10:44 PM »
I must be missing something obvious, is there a link to your patch in this topic, or is it hidden for legal reasons? I am very interested in giving it a try.

We're still creating the patch.  It'll be released once it's finished.  Possibly sometime next year?  I don't want to commit to a date.  This is a very text heavy game, and the hacking on it can be very kludgy/time consuming.

In the meantime, as I find neat stuff or make interesting progress I'll post it here.  Likewise if anyone else finds out anything interesting about the game, I'd love to hear about it.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2019, 06:15 PM »
Well the most realistic way to play it in 2019 is obviously on a real N64. Emulators still leaves a lot to be desired, and this isn't a game that has any problems with flashcarts.

Offline MrCool

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Hey man! I registered just to ask how this project is coming along?

My friends and I have been huge fans of this game ever since it was released, and we still play it to this day.

Sadly none of us speak Japanese, so seeing this project is incredibly interesting.  :o

All the best, Mr Cool.  8)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2020, 02:20 AM »
I'm glad to see interest in Getter Love!  The project is slowed down a lot right now.  The translator is very busy with real life but is still very interested in the game. 

I'm not sure if I mentioned this elsewhere, but for fans of the game, there's an official soundtrack out there (check out youtube or amazon.jp).  There's also a "sequel"(?) called Typing of the Date for Dreamcast.  It's japan-only, but uses the same characters and from what I've seen - the same artwork from Getter Love.