Author Topic: Smurfs and Asterix E not Working  (Read 2855 times)

Offline nensondubois

• View Profile
Smurfs and Asterix E not Working
« on: March 23, 2019, 03:35 AM »
Writing this in a rush, but the gist is that I am using one of the new beta version firmwares (I forget because I update it about a month or so ago and didn't check, but it allows the Action 52 split ROMS to work) I couldn't get either games to work on the handful of older official stable OS firmware revisions to work either. The symptoms are a black screen at first then multicoloured screens show upon resetting. I tried a few PAL games and they do work, but these two games do not even though it says the mapper is supported. Neither appear to be bad dumps. Does anyone know of a fix for the unsupported mapper?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
Re: Smurfs and Asterix E not Working
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 05:00 AM »
Is this on a NTSC NES? Some PAL games don't play correctly on NTSC systems.

Offline nensondubois

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:54 AM »
Right, I should have gave more information earlier. I am attempting to play the two games on my NTSC US front loader NES. I am aware that a handful of PAL games have IRQ timing issues when played using an NTSC machine but I don't recall the exact list (looked at it years ago).

Offline yojc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Asterix will definitely not work correctly on NTSC systems. I think there was a patch that solved this issue, but I'm not sure.

As for the Smurfs, from what I recall they were more or less playable on an emulator in NTSC mode (with occasional glitches). I was able to get the game running on my AV Famicom, the first level seemed to play fine.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:34 PM by yojc »

Offline goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Asterix will definitely not work correctly on NTSC systems. I think there was a patch that solved this issue, but I'm not sure.

According to a post on ROMHacking.net, there was a successful PAL > NTSC conversion done by Acmlm, but I can't find it anywhere. The only reference to Asterix on Acmlm's own boards is here.
Have EverDrives: N8 (Famicom), Master ED, Turbo ED, ED MD, Super ED, ED 64, ED-GB, ED-GG, ED-GBA X5

Other flashcarts & multicarts: Harmony (Atari 2600), Cuttle Cart 3 (Intellivision), 233-in-1 (Odyssey^2), 72-in-1 (Vectrex), LynxSD (Atari Lynx), SD2SNES

Offline nensondubois

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 06:46 AM »
I actually updated all my mappers to the current official version and Smurfs is working flawlessly, however Asterix is not but at least it boots up. Asterix has severe graphical glitches (as it does in a lot of emulators) even the one found in Animal Crossing.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 02:07 AM »
VisualNES gets around this by changing the region to from NTSC to PAL it also works on Beauty and the Beast.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 08:59 PM »
Right, I should have gave more information earlier. I am attempting to play the two games on my NTSC US front loader NES. I am aware that a handful of PAL games have IRQ timing issues when played using an NTSC machine but I don't recall the exact list (looked at it years ago).

In mu experience, Beauty and Beast and Elite start but they get very scrambled soon.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 03:05 PM »

In mu experience, Beauty and Beast and Elite start but they get very scrambled soon.

Beauty and the beast completely crashed on a much older version of PocketNES on the Super Card SD just at the time where you would require the need to climb up a waterfall (And let's face it those water effects really pushed the NES limits) it would then black out if you managed to reach the top of the waterfall and go through the cave.

I think it was still changed from NTSC to PAL but had some really weird jumping glitches, oddly if VisualNES is used on the GBA X5 everdrive it managed to bypass this bug but I think you still need to change it from NTSC to PAL for it to work.

I also just realized Aladdin on the NES also works on the X5 but not Super Card, if region is changed from NTSC to PAL it bypasses the crash after the prologue text. Am certain it will not function on a NES Classic and at one time bricked it almost.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:07 PM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!